They are fairly sensitive to tyres, but even more likely to throw the toys out the pram with sticking brakes.  They can get hot enough to turn the grease in the wheel bearing to fluid and you notice a wheel bearing is knackered the next time you drive it, but miraculously, the brake has freed off!

I certainly wouldn't be surprised.  I am quickly discovering that the SType is the UK's answer to Herbie. Still, countdown to surgery has started on the vibration issue and other unseen replacements/ upgrades. I want this thing to bite down into the corners, currently it gives them a little lick and a sniff.

44 minutes ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

Err, I think the noise is partly your fault having been a PO of it. I'll expect you over tomorrow to hold spanners.

*Not kiddin

Well we can trace the owners back much further than me. Even so just return the car and I will give you your money back! 

Don't worry, it's in safe* hands! ☠️😁

Verdict is in.

• OSF bearing slightly noisy but no play and it's in the early stages of failure.
  • OSF Tyre slightly flat spotted, don't know why but will contribute it to the worn shocks and London. They were both hard on the front suspension. I'll stick it on the rear for now, I'll be swapping the tyres out next month for something better I reckon. Out of all the tyres and cars I've ever had, Goodyears seem to suffer from staying in shape. Luckily* I bought new sets for the Land Rover and the Jaag.
  • OSR caliper binding- very slightly, could be sliders.. probably not. All pads are low but evenly worn. Last change was the day I bought it some years ago. 3 years? I can't remember now.
  • Spongy front lower bushes

The weather is a steady, persistent stream of rain but hey, it's not freezing. Thought that I'd sneak out and grab a front bearing from a shop somewhere seeing as my game of parts darts failed- again... curses!

Got one and some rear pads, (the early type are different). I'm gonna do some messing about with it, clean some stuff up and wind it right back which may* free it up and then next month I can replace the caliper because it's smoked and because that's how life goes.

It's going to be a wet one. Sadface.

• Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Type X200 - bearing, brakes and bad weather... ...

Errr... That was a bit of a crap day to be fiddling with oily metal outside. Rain, rain and more rain, although on the odd occasion that it did stop, it rained.

The bearing swap went ok but upon removing the brake carrier I was surprised to find that the two bolts holding it on were not very tight. Lucky find? Not really as someone had been here before and over tightened them... All the signs of an air gun. When I went to refit, they went tight but not tight enough and started to strip the thread off of the carrier. I had at that point realised that Jaag would be off the road for a week at least!

So, I tried again, no luck and it became apparent that some fine engineering was needed. I tapped out the carrier thread and cleaned through the bolt threads and it didn't make much difference, but I did notice that the bolts were only going into the carrier by about two thirds before hitting the head. I condemned the bolts as I was stuck with the carrier and an immobile vehicle. Drat.
I have many spare bolts, nuts and things but could I find anything remotely close to what I needed to replace them? Nope. I looked at long bolts, cutting and welding a head on at the right length... then I thought "it's brakes man..." It needs to be done properly. I was all out of hope and about to call it quits until I opened a drawer in the shed and inside among the bits and pieces was two 15mm head M12 bolts and I remember taking these from a very old 1971 BMW, the bottom rear shock bolts to be exact. They needed a bit of a clean and some shortening but to cut them longer than what was currently being used, so that the thread actually used all the hole in the carrier and made the most of the remaining good thread.

I applied a bit of thread lock and fitted the carrier. I didn't torque it up, I gave both bolts 1 hulk pull + 7.53 yankers. In doing this, I could feel if the bolts were grabbing or starting to strip. They bit tight and the brake was on! Jesus... all that took a lot of time up but I'm confident that I can rely on it until I get a replacement carrier.

On to the rear brake pads and our binding problem, yes, the sliders were sticky but the nsr bottom slider was solid. The rubber boot was being unsealed by expanding corrosion and of course the weather and road trash had got at it... and in it! So they were all cleaned up and wodged full of grease.

All the tyres were rotated so that the front basically went to the back and then we hit the road... I mean track!

We have a winner! The steering no longer shakes at all at any speed plus the car passed the 100 test so that means that it's not going to fall apart anytime soon. It also rolls in neutral which also means that binding has been seen off. I will need an osr caliper soon as it was making crunchy, rusty noises as I wound the piston back and I can notice the flat spot on the tyre on the back, it's very faint but I know it's there.

Of course though, all this rain and messing about fabricating Jaguar parts took it's toll and I decided to not do the bushes this week, I can live with the soggyness a bit longer because I've had enough for now and I need a couple of new jacks and stands because I can't find my blocks, and I've lost a stand somewhere over the last year.

All in all, a tough, wet and frustrating day that cost me another £150, but we have made improvements! Downside in a way is that I have even more spares to go on, the inventory is getting pretty big. In fact, I reckon that all I need is some body panels and I could build another Jaag in the shed.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:57 AM, fraser.innes.3 said:

If you are still wanting to plug it in to a diagnostics machine, l have an X431 that claims to read all codes from the big cats.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

I'll have to research this pal. This particular era of Jaag needs an enigma machine.

I'll have to research this pal. This particular era of Jaag needs an enigma machine.
As long as it has an obd port, we can plug it in and see what happens. There's bound to be a nice pub in-between Hereford and Cambridge where we can meet.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:00 PM, fraser.innes.3 said:

As long as it has an obd port, we can plug it in and see what happens. There's bound to be a nice pub in-between Hereford and Cambridge where we can meet.

Do you think you'd plug it into my S-Type? I'd be happy to bring it to Hereford and supply some money or other goods/services

Really enjoyed the thread, Crisp. Excellent work on the car. I have an X202 3.0 manual and if you ever want to measure up/test fit a part to see if it'll work on yours, just let me know. 

Just a quick question - I'm planning to do spark plugs on mine soon (hoping that'll cure the misfire but I'm prepared to change coils if not). Thought I'd change aux belt while I'm at it. Did you do yours from above with inlet manifold off? 

Annoyingly it appears that yours and mine have different inlet manifolds and replacement gaskets for mine are quite expensive so I'm hoping not to take it on and off too much as I will feel compelled to change the gaskets each time....

I removed most of the top to get to the other bank. It would seem that this side can be neglected because of the extra work involved. It's about due to be done again and it has the symptoms of a worn idle control valve now and then where the base line revs can't settle immediately. More importantly, my radiator is about to pop so I'm doing it right and today I'm installing a speaker in the boot for subtronic bass. I ran the remote and RCA leads from the head unit yesterday straight down the middle of the car and had a fight with sharp 90's plastic all the way that only a jaguar/ Landover owner could have. There is blood on the leather. Looks very ghetto.

I figured that as this model of car is so sensitive to battery voltage, adding moar load would be perfect.

Now I have a dilemma, I have a 'remote out' which is brown on the bunch of RCA's that plug in to the unit and I have a 'remote' which is blue on the unit main cabling. I'm playing safe and going blue as all remotes for amps I've ever seen have been blue.

Herefordshire? Where's that? Is it the same as Hertfordshire? I always get them confused with each other! The idea of bricking my car in a pub car park is kind of appealing tho.

• Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Type X200 - BassBoooost!!!
  • 2 weeks later...

Shiyt... I decided that it was time to change in the gearbox filter and oil, in hindsight it was a bad idea really. Everything to do with bolts on this car is tight, sized and corroded, I've never had a car like it. To change the filter I had to remove the gearbox sump which was held on with about 15 8mm bolts. 5 of them straight sheared off, all at the front. The battle then commenced to drill, hammer and poke at the snapped stubs resulting after 2 hours with a wonky hole with half a bolt left in it and another with a snapped drill bit in it, all the while, being rained on by ATF. It was horrible.

So I fucked it off and went and made some clamps. They done the trick and we went for a blast. Noticeable improvements were made in performance and refinement. It's a job that you should get someone else to do as it was a complete horror show, and I'm not joking either.

After the test run, no leaks were detected except for the hemorrhaging power steering pipe and split header tank.

• Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Type X200 - Autobox warz
  • 11 months later...
  • Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Type X200 - One year on...
  • 8 months later...

Morning, er... Afternoon...

V6YPE is now going to salesville. I have purchased a more expensive, wallet eating, time bomb in the form of an STR (Not the racing team or car or...)

IMG_20230117_113932603.thumb.jpg.070513e339d7731eda8e1402ed63e8c0.jpg

But there is a snag. Head over to the Sayles Fred once I've been bothered to do it.

EDIT: 

34 minutes ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

Morning, er... Afternoon...

V6YPE is now going to salesville. I have purchased a more expensive, wallet eating, time bomb in the form of an STR.

IMG_20230117_113932603.thumb.jpg.070513e339d7731eda8e1402ed63e8c0.jpg

But there is a snag. Head over to the Sayles Fred once I've been bothered to do it.

You've bought a Scuderia Torro Rosso? 

Blimey.

Just now, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

Had to google that- No. I heard that the electrics were terribly unreliable so I got something much worse.

Ah, S-Type R. Legend has it that it was built at the behest of Jaguar Powertrain chief Ron Lee who didn't think his company NA V8 was fast/fun/important enough.

I drove a new one in 2000ish, it felt fast as fuck.