Hawkeyethenoo

Ronnie the red Range Rover L322 (repairs) Now with Hybrid action!

Yes I have had fuel pump failure 2015 in Carlisle on my way to Scotland!

Dumped me in a Supermarket car park one evening.

Not one, but two RAC flatbeds in attendance. Lessor cars would not receive such sterling service.

AA just been on the phone checking that everything went okay with transportation of Ronnie on his wee holiday. Once that was confirmed as sorted, Julie moved on to the fact that I'm now wheeless, so, I pick up a much lessor replacement hire car from Enterprise Car Hire, tomorrow at 10am, whiich is provided for 72hrs, gratis; but they're closed Sunday, natch. So just return it to them on Monday, if that's okay with me? Yeah, I think that's fine actually. Hope it's a Dacia. laugh.gif

Thanks again my pal, Ronnie.

Ronnie's remote electric fuel pump is fubar. It's now with the AA's breakdown insurance people as an claim. I'll hear back after they've spoken to the repairer and processed the claim.....

Also visited Enterprise Car Rental this morning to pick up a Ronnie replacement. Rental was provided by the AA, but as I need an automatic  wink.gif that costs an extra £3 per day and then the CDW fee of about £15 per day, so not exactly a free ride, but still pretty cheap considering they gave me one of these. Ronnie's South Korean Cousin. Kim Jun Ionic. First Hybrid I've driven and not a bad little steer. Very different from Ronnie.

post-17354-0-82171100-1552595778_thumb.jpg

post-17354-0-04079100-1552595797_thumb.jpg

post-17354-0-61208700-1552595809_thumb.jpg

post-17354-0-21376100-1552595825_thumb.jpg

Ronnie's brand new remote electric pump has been fitted. Total cost to me is the breakdown cover policy excess of just £35. While he's away on 'holiday', he's had his slushbox transmission fluid N filter replaced too, which always was the plan as he was booked in for today to have that done anyway. He just decided to arrange his own transport which saved me the bother. #Gentleman of an automobile.

Hats off to The AA who have been utterly brilliant from my first phone call. :food-smiley-015:

Strange thing with Kim Jun Ionic. Jumped into it tonight in the lashing rain and then thought. How do you work the rear wiper in this bloody high tech bastid? Then I realised it doesny 'ave one and it doesn't seem to need one either, as once the rear demister has been on for a bit and yer travelling at the NSL or slightly, ahem, above. It seems to clear itself, as if by magic....

Rear view is shit though and the reversing camera is a bit pixelated. But it does the job of pointing out any low slung obstacles and unattended small children or animals. I quite like the wee car. Goes really well on A roads in sports mode. With a flick back into D on entering a 30 zone as it purrs along on AA battery power. Truly a car for Millennials and those of the tight wallet persuasion. 

Ronnie is fix(ed). New Front N/S height sensor wiring loom and connector fitted today. Bit of resetting of DTCs spinning of the steering wheel to reset the steering angle sensor and the fault is gone, John. Magic carpet ride is back in business.  thumbsup.gif Just the rear discs and pads to do tomorrow and my work is done.

One of the height sensor wires had snapped just where it enters the sensor connector. Wiring loom repair kit bought I set about it today.

Wiring is not colour coded, but having a new one I just made sure the location of the wires were the same as the old connector.

post-17354-0-28646100-1555696806_thumb.jpg

Kit comes with heat shrink and those type of but connectors that melt together when heat is applied.

Just need tidying up and the job was jobbed.

post-17354-0-21800900-1555696927_thumb.jpg

post-17354-0-64888200-1555696952_thumb.jpg

Okay so Ronnie is now back on all four and shall be going to my pet garage to have the ruined back plates removed and new ones fitted. I'm not geared up for removing the hubs so will be worth paying someone who is. The only thing holding the handbrake shoes in place is handbrake cable and the drums of the discs themselves. Stupid that they're fitted behind the hubs but there you go. Suspension is working perfectly and it otherwise remains, fault free, so mustn't grumble and whine too much for a 15-year-old 4 be 4.

Update on Ronnie the red Range Rover. New rear brakes were fitted at my cost £280.00, I supplied all the parts £200.00. Complete rear brake strip down. Remove ruined rear disc back plates and refit new yins by cutting them in half and welding them back together and refitting new, discs, HB shoes N springs and pads. Tremendous to have the brakes at their optimum! Ronnie doesn't mind getting going but with the single piston ATE calipers, he takes a fair bit of pulling up. The brakes at best are satisfactory.  Hook up the maximum 3.5 tonnes towing weight capacity and they'd be, struggling to put it mildly. 

Anyway. Happy days a nicely driven and safe trip was had down to Tamworth and back was had just after, no dramas and Ronnie returned 24mpg door to door with an average speed in the low 50s. Excellent, good old Ronnie. He's become a dependable and likable friend. 

So what faults remain? PDC is still not working and reminding me with annoying long BEEEEEEEP everytime I select reverse. DTCs show faults with two of the rear sensors. Probably wiring faults? So feck it, off comes the rear end/bumper.... Just like that!

624431396_P_20190516_1214271.thumb.jpg.364202907578a636ae284c87f2f83f0f.jpg

With the rear bumper off and after checking the wiring loom and finding it to be, fine. I narrowed in on the two sensors identified by the Icarsoft LR V2 Thumbs Up as being faulty, returning DTCs. Once I'd swapped them around to double check all the wiring was good with the two remaining working sensors. I ordered a couple of pattern part sensors from Ebay for £25 delivered. OE sensors are £97 each, which is a bit salty, and Brit Part were £35 each. There was also a DTC showing for the NSF outer left sensor, but that seems to have cleared and stayed clear. #Yahdancer.

New cheapo sensors fitted, DTCs cleared and we have a 100% working PDC (Park Distance Control) system! Fitted the new sensors in the middle so they match in their uncolour coded state and with the help of the apprentice, son, the bumper went back on with a little grease on the mating surfaces to help it go back together as Mr LR intended.

P_20190520_191336.thumb.jpg.7ca3312327a0d171d6582dc3cc904459.jpg