Ronnie the red Range Rover L322 (repairs) New Front Air Struts Now

Hawkeyethenoo

Yes I have had fuel pump failure 2015 in Carlisle on my way to Scotland!

Dumped me in a Supermarket car park one evening.

Not one, but two RAC flatbeds in attendance. Lessor cars would not receive such sterling service.

AA just been on the phone checking that everything went okay with transportation of Ronnie on his wee holiday. Once that was confirmed as sorted, Julie moved on to the fact that I'm now wheeless, so, I pick up a much lessor replacement hire car from Enterprise Car Hire, tomorrow at 10am, whiich is provided for 72hrs, gratis; but they're closed Sunday, natch. So just return it to them on Monday, if that's okay with me? Yeah, I think that's fine actually. Hope it's a Dacia. laugh.gif

Thanks again my pal, Ronnie.

Ronnie's remote electric fuel pump is fubar. It's now with the AA's breakdown insurance people as an claim. I'll hear back after they've spoken to the repairer and processed the claim.....

Also visited Enterprise Car Rental this morning to pick up a Ronnie replacement. Rental was provided by the AA, but as I need an automatic  wink.gif that costs an extra £3 per day and then the CDW fee of about £15 per day, so not exactly a free ride, but still pretty cheap considering they gave me one of these. Ronnie's South Korean Cousin. Kim Jun Ionic. First Hybrid I've driven and not a bad little steer. Very different from Ronnie.

post-17354-0-82171100-1552595778_thumb.jpg

post-17354-0-04079100-1552595797_thumb.jpg

post-17354-0-61208700-1552595809_thumb.jpg

post-17354-0-21376100-1552595825_thumb.jpg

Ronnie's brand new remote electric pump has been fitted. Total cost to me is the breakdown cover policy excess of just £35. While he's away on 'holiday', he's had his slushbox transmission fluid N filter replaced too, which always was the plan as he was booked in for today to have that done anyway. He just decided to arrange his own transport which saved me the bother. #Gentleman of an automobile.

Hats off to The AA who have been utterly brilliant from my first phone call. :food-smiley-015:

Strange thing with Kim Jun Ionic. Jumped into it tonight in the lashing rain and then thought. How do you work the rear wiper in this bloody high tech bastid? Then I realised it doesny 'ave one and it doesn't seem to need one either, as once the rear demister has been on for a bit and yer travelling at the NSL or slightly, ahem, above. It seems to clear itself, as if by magic....

Rear view is shit though and the reversing camera is a bit pixelated. But it does the job of pointing out any low slung obstacles and unattended small children or animals. I quite like the wee car. Goes really well on A roads in sports mode. With a flick back into D on entering a 30 zone as it purrs along on AA battery power. Truly a car for Millennials and those of the tight wallet persuasion. 

• 1 month later...

Ronnie is fix(ed). New Front N/S height sensor wiring loom and connector fitted today. Bit of resetting of DTCs spinning of the steering wheel to reset the steering angle sensor and the fault is gone, John. Magic carpet ride is back in business.  thumbsup.gif Just the rear discs and pads to do tomorrow and my work is done.

One of the height sensor wires had snapped just where it enters the sensor connector. Wiring loom repair kit bought I set about it today.

Wiring is not colour coded, but having a new one I just made sure the location of the wires were the same as the old connector.

post-17354-0-28646100-1555696806_thumb.jpg

Kit comes with heat shrink and those type of but connectors that melt together when heat is applied.

Just need tidying up and the job was jobbed.

post-17354-0-21800900-1555696927_thumb.jpg

post-17354-0-64888200-1555696952_thumb.jpg

Okay so Ronnie is now back on all four and shall be going to my pet garage to have the ruined back plates removed and new ones fitted. I'm not geared up for removing the hubs so will be worth paying someone who is. The only thing holding the handbrake shoes in place is handbrake cable and the drums of the discs themselves. Stupid that they're fitted behind the hubs but there you go. Suspension is working perfectly and it otherwise remains, fault free, so mustn't grumble and whine too much for a 15-year-old 4 be 4.

• 1 month later...

Update on Ronnie the red Range Rover. New rear brakes were fitted at my cost £280.00, I supplied all the parts £200.00. Complete rear brake strip down. Remove ruined rear disc back plates and refit new yins by cutting them in half and welding them back together and refitting new, discs, HB shoes N springs and pads. Tremendous to have the brakes at their optimum! Ronnie doesn't mind getting going but with the single piston ATE calipers, he takes a fair bit of pulling up. The brakes at best are satisfactory.  Hook up the maximum 3.5 tonnes towing weight capacity and they'd be, struggling to put it mildly. 

Anyway. Happy days a nicely driven and safe trip was had down to Tamworth and back was had just after, no dramas and Ronnie returned 24mpg door to door with an average speed in the low 50s. Excellent, good old Ronnie. He's become a dependable and likable friend. 

So what faults remain? PDC is still not working and reminding me with annoying long BEEEEEEEP everytime I select reverse. DTCs show faults with two of the rear sensors. Probably wiring faults? So feck it, off comes the rear end/bumper.... Just like that!

624431396_P_20190516_1214271.thumb.jpg.364202907578a636ae284c87f2f83f0f.jpg

With the rear bumper off and after checking the wiring loom and finding it to be, fine. I narrowed in on the two sensors identified by the Icarsoft LR V2 Thumbs Up as being faulty, returning DTCs. Once I'd swapped them around to double check all the wiring was good with the two remaining working sensors. I ordered a couple of pattern part sensors from Ebay for £25 delivered. OE sensors are £97 each, which is a bit salty, and Brit Part were £35 each. There was also a DTC showing for the NSF outer left sensor, but that seems to have cleared and stayed clear. #Yahdancer.

New cheapo sensors fitted, DTCs cleared and we have a 100% working PDC (Park Distance Control) system! Fitted the new sensors in the middle so they match in their uncolour coded state and with the help of the apprentice, son, the bumper went back on with a little grease on the mating surfaces to help it go back together as Mr LR intended.

P_20190520_191336.thumb.jpg.7ca3312327a0d171d6582dc3cc904459.jpg

• 4 months later...

Okay bit of a Ronnie update. While we were away on holiday, Ronnie was in for a new OSF brake pipe and MOT test. Needed OSF lower suspension arm/ball joint. Got back from holiday picked the car up with fresh MOT and no advisories! Driving out of the car park and BANG! WTF happened there, noticed OSF had dropped. The air strut bag had exploded. Feckety feck. Garage was shut - no choice but to phone the AA and get them to recover it to my favourite LR independent who're really good and know their LRs back to front and inside out.

Verdict? The local garage who fitted the lower suspension arm broke the height sensor and cable tied it together, this failed and the control unit kept pumping up the bag till it exploded! Obviously being the original bag this caused it to fail and it now required a new air strut (£382) and height sensor (£100). The AA picked up the tab for the recovery and the air strut, I pad that £35 excess and the £100 for the new sensor and labour.

Gets the car back and there's a knocking from the OSF when turning the steering and then a few days later the NSF drops 3 or 4 inches and " Air Suspension Failure" showing on the dash..... I call out the AA again and they agree it needs looked at by the garage and I drive it there and leave it with them.

I pciked Ronnie up again today. They replaced the NSF air strut (£382) and found the bolt the local garage had used to secure the new suspension arm to the chassis was worn/needing replaced and it was this I was hearing knocking. I paid the £35 excess and a fiver for the new bolt, they didn't charge me any labour for this, so £40.

Ronnie's now running really, really well, the brakes are 100% and he's now running on brand new front air struts. I hope this is it for a good while now and it should be.

I reckon the AA have paid out over £1000 in breakdown insurance repairs, the electric fuel pump and then both front air struts and that's not including the x2 recoveries and the 3 days hire car when the fuel pump went. Even the LR garage are impressed by the service I've received from the AA.

I'll be taking up the issues with the local garage as they should have told me they broke the height sensor as the fecking thing could have gone bang at speed in a bend and caused a massive accident! Not replacing the worn suspension arm bolt is also pretty poor as it was knocking far worse than the small amount of play in the ball joint for which they failed it on the MOT first time round.

The dangers of garage servicing....

Cheers all. Hawkaye...

I recently picked up an L322, 2006 supercharged jobbie, love it and it goes like stink but I'm having the long BEEEEEEP problem too with the parking sensors not working. Problem is.. I don't have a code reader.

What code reader do you use with yours?

I had a quick look on fleabay but they range from £5 pieces of crap all the way up to £400 all singing all dancing makes you a cuppa in the morning kits.

I recently replaced a duff parking sensor on my 05 discovery, pretty easy to change once the bumper is off. It didn’t cure my pdc not working, no, that was down to the speaker in the rear quarter! 

Great to see Ronnie getting some love. And the AA are doing a cracking job of keeping him moving! ?

9 hours ago, MikeKnight said:

I recently picked up an L322, 2006 supercharged jobbie, love it and it goes like stink but I'm having the long BEEEEEEP problem too with the parking sensors not working. Problem is.. I don't have a code reader.

What code reader do you use with yours?

I had a quick look on fleabay but they range from £5 pieces of crap all the way up to £400 all singing all dancing makes you a cuppa in the morning kits.

Get yer ear, yer best ear, right up close to each of the sensors with the ignition on. If they're working you should hear the ultrasonic clicks. No clicks and that sensor is probably the problem. Once you have the bumper off you can swap round a known good (clicking) sensor to check for wiring faults. I thought that might be the problem but it was the sensors. You can swap the position of the sensors as they're all the same it's just the mount were it fits into the bumper that are sided.

I have an Icarsoft LR V2, which is very good as it can communicate with all the many modules within the car and clear DTCs. Hope that helps.

11 hours ago, Tayne said:

If you’ve just replaced both front airbags I’d be looking at the condition of the rear bags.

If they’re original then an age/mileage based failure could be very close.

This is true. The garage checked them and as best as they can tell they don't look like they're about to fail. Time will tell....

It wasn't just the bags that were replaced it was the entire strut and bag as getting a new bag to seal on an old corroded strut is a gamble which often backfires according to the Indy who did the work. Cheers.

Possibly!  I took a quick look and the unit itself appears to be okay and the connectors are fine.

I've also been told it may be the wiring under the bumper at fault, which would cause all of the sensors to stop working. I'll take a look when I remove the rear bumper, I have to remove it to repair some rust on the rear nearside arch anyway.

Otherwise I'll get that code reader you listed (£130 isn't a bad price for a good reader) and see what codes get thrown up.

• 10 months later...

Ronnie was sold tonight. Bit of a day, as he was in for an MOT which he failed on a N/S ball joiint and O/S front indicator. Indicator was sorted with a new bulb holder. I offered to dsount the sale price by £350 and the buyer accepted (current MOT expires 13th of next month). What a #legend. Paid and drove Ronnie away into the sunset making for Aberdeenshire. Lot's of interest on eBay, but no actual bids. Didn't matter as it only takes one serious buyer and the deal is done. Bye bye Ronnie, Ronnie goodbye, bye bye Ronnie....

20200806_180227.jpg