Small car petrol only £2000 to £3000. Advice!!!!

Matty

Mates looking at cars. Wants small and petrol. I've advised a panda, a jazz and a Yaris and quite rightly she hates them all. She's currently looking at a 04 plate polo low miles 1.4 petrol or an 07 swift 1.5 petrol. Can't see major problems with either long-term but I'd away to the swift.

However I have no prior experience of either so I'm throwing it over to the brains trust. What do you lot reckon? Hugs, kisses and gratitude in advance! Ta...

Polo is a good choice, they are well made reliable cheap to run and don’t rust like many of the contemparies. I’ve had my Diesel 02 plate 9n for 2 and a half years and it’s needed nothing other than routine servicing and it has no corrosion anywhere, one of my sons has had a year 2000 6n2 1 litre petrol for nearly 3 years and again it’s been the same scenario. The only downside is the stigma of being on here and owning a VW!...

I’ve got an 07 plate 1.4 Polo, save for the facelift, essentially the same as an 04. I quite like it, it’s been pretty reliable so far, everything seems properly put together on them - as far as I know there’s no major common issues either. It’s also got far more space than a Fiesta/Corsa of the era. For something this size and age, the fuel economy isn’t amazing (I average somewhere between 42-45mpg), but by no means awful

Really my only criticisms are the laughably tiny glovebox and how boring they are - everything is just really grey, dull and predictable.

Before I got it, I was actually after a Lupo/Arosa. Probably slightly too small, but generally much cheaper, and little more exciting and just as well made.

My friend had a swift, was nowt but grief. Which is odd because I expected bulletproof Japanese, suppose he might have had the only bad one.

For 2-3kk surely just about any small car is do-able? Ibiza \ fabia to save a few quid over the polo perhaps? I quite liked my lasses fabia 1.4, it took some serious abuse too, with it being a company car that was a bit long in the tooth.

How about a corsa? There are tons of those about and they look alright, especially the newer ones, although personally I'd rather have a fiesta.