Beep beep beep - living the P38 dream

The Moog

There's already a shot of saabnut's garden in this year's calendar. It features a few more cars due to it being taken during SF18

I am not sure the Lancer is an AS car. Feels more like a washing machine type conveyance. 

I like it because it feels like I am in GTA sometimes - so a bit gangster 

post-3994-0-07424400-1550482506_thumb.jpg

Functional heated seats in these is somewhat of a rarity on these I hear. So are there any grand plans for the P38?

Actually, only one. Claire’s is working well, nice and toasty. Mine is deader than a dead thing.

Grand plans? Well.....

As some of you may know, I have a small garage business doing general repairs and also selling one or two cars alongside collecting shite (or genuine bona-fide future classics if Claire is reading)

As a result, it’s useful to have some sort of tat shifter. I’ve got a little 3.5t Isuzu beavertail truck which has made the occasional appearance on these pages. It’s a handy little thing but has two issues.

Firstly, the carrying capacity means that legally you’re only able to move stuff that weighs less than around 1.2 ton and secondly it was designed for a small Japanese person to fit behind the wheel, not a rather large Northener with type 1 pieabetes.

We also have a Volvo XC90 that we acquired a couple of years ago for use as a general family car, spaniel shifter, tip runner etc etc

This was bought for not too much from BCA.

Lesson one...buy cheap, buy twice guys. XC90s do have a few known issues and trust me, this bugger had the full compliment. Play in the bottom arms, leaking intercooler, transmission fault, leaking oil way core plug inside the bellhousing, the works. You name it, if it has ever failed on a Volvo, then this one was living proof...

To be continued

Sounds good. From the cold start video it seemed the engine was quite willing, that's a good start. Yeah the towing capacity is why we got ours, when it turned up cheap and luck would have it passed an MOT the next day. I don't know if it will happen but we wanted the option of being able to tow a project car from time to time. Pretty much restricted to hiring a car trailer though, they are dead expensive and secure storage for a trailer is a challenge.

If it doesn't work out, do consider selling the go faster chip tune box to me!

Looks good!!!

Waiting for mine to come back after undergoing a “mini restoration “ - new headlining, door lock, air con fixed, security options taken off, new battery, mot and service. Had mine just over 12 years- it’s a 4.6 so tows the caravan “adequately “.

I’ve always fancied the L322 like Wacks- but as long as the P38 keeps going I’ll keep it.

Keep us posted with going on.

Regards

Steve

Wow, you guys have big cahones, if you need a spares motah mine may well be available once I have properly diagnosed the giant smog cloud coming out of it's arse end this week, I have updated the For sale thread which I never bothered to change which has come full circle, probably :)

Shiter's discount will apply ;)

Wow, you guys have big cahones, if you need a spares motah mine may well be available once I have properly diagnosed the giant smog cloud coming out of it's arse end this week, I have updated the For sale thread which I never bothered to change which has come full circle, probably :)

Shiter's discount will apply ;)

Same colour too....hmm. Could do with a better front bumper, a couple of doors, some trim bits etc.

Keep me posted, won’t you? ;-)

Anyway, where were we?

Having removed the automatic gearbox from the XC, which incidentally involves dropping the front suspension, subframe, rack, transfer box and god knows what else, I replaced the £2.47 core plug with an improved alloy one from Volvo. Then it was simply* a case of popping on a couple of new suspension arms, a new intercooler and one or two other bits before we were back on the road.

Two days later, the transmission fault message popped up and it went into limp mode. Joy.

Unable to face swapping the gearbox so soon after putting the damned thing back together, I decided to try flushing the fluid through a couple of times and to be fair, although the message keeps coming up every time you start the engine, it has actually behaved itself pretty much for the last year or so. It occasionally went into limp mode in the early days but switching off and back on again sorted that and it hasn’t actually done that for the last six months or so.

Since then though, it’s started to leak a bit of transmission fluid to the point where it needs a litre top up every five or six weeks and it appears to be coming from the torque converter oil seal. It’s also got a distinct droning noise which sounds like a wheel bearing, all four tyres could do with replacing soon and the miles are up to nearly 180k.

Although it would pass a test easily enough and actually drives very well I wouldn’t dream of selling it other than for spares or repairs due to the ATF leak.

As a result, I’ve been on the lookout for something that could replace both the Volvo and the recovery truck. It needs to be able to tow a 3.5t trailer if needs be and have a full compliment of seats/windows which rules out a van. Also, four wheel drive comes in handy a few times a year as we live in semi-rural Lancashire up on the edge of Pendle hill.

Having tried a couple of Discovery 2s, I can’t seem to get enough legroom even with the seat right back. The Disco 3s are fine in that respect but still hold their value pretty well and I’m loath to spend more than 2-3k on something that will mainly get used for dragging a trailer occasionally and carrying a few muddy spaniels in the back.

That leaves the RRs. I was really looking out for an early L322 auto like Wacks but when Saabnut offered up a diesel P38 auto for not a lot of dosh just before Xmas, messages were exchanged and plans were made.

Those plans were initially to hitch a lift up to Scotland with Mr&Mrs Moog when they were heading up to see family. However, at the last minute this all went to pot as I went down with man flu the day before. As it turns out, it was probably for the best as the Moogs 406 gave up the ghost on the morning of the planned trip so they went up in the Getz instead which would have been a bit of a squeeze to say the least.

As Saabnut was travelling down to France that week, things were postponed until he returned at the end of January...plans were then formulated to collect it on the 17th of February.

Will very kindly offered to take me up to and until last Friday, the plan was to set off early on Sunday morning. There were a few things to be done to the Rangie upon our arrival though...it needed a couple of rear shocks replacing which I was taking up with me...and we decided that it may be a bit of a task to do it all in one day so thanks to the kindness of Wills mother in law who lives 70 miles south of Aberdeen, the decision was made to travel up on Saturday, stop overnight then get up to Saabnuts early on Sunday to enable fixings to be undertaken with time to spare.

This then evolved into being a Valentines break for our respective others thus mitigating the entire thing and earning (or rather avoid losing) brownie points on both sides!

Anyway, that brings us to the current time. The Moog has done an excellent job of covering the collection itself so next up from me will be an evaluation of the car itself along with the plans for its future and hopefully in due course, a detailed documentation of its refurbishment.

Keep tuned :-)