Nu Shite - a gift from a neighbour. Swedish Content.

R9UKE

Well done, that looks absolutely immaculate! As for the emissions issue could it be the temp sensor? Apparently they have a dual resistive element and failure can cause the ignition side of the ECU to be fine but bugger the fuelling up. If the lambda light is on, there'll be a fault logged in the blinky light OBD system under the bonnet.

post-4786-0-98351900-1550101252_thumb.jpg

Stick the wee lead into port 2 on block A as above and hold the button down for a few seconds. The red light will come on then flash at you, with a pause between each set of flashes. The number of flashes corresponds to the number in the fault code. Eg;

Three flashes

Pause

Four flashes

Pause

Four flashes

Would be code 344. It takes a couple of goes to get the hang of it. If no fault is logged it will flash 1-1-1. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but it's not the most intuitive system.

Good luck, hope it's an easy fix!

RML2345 - Thank you massively, the emissions light is on so I'll have a fiddle with that later.  Much appreciated.

As for the mats - Scrap of Axminster (which matched their hallway), sitting on top of a Lidl universal car mat, sitting on top of the big Volvo heavy duty scoop mat, underneath that there's the totally unmarked blue carpet.

Thanks for the comments, always so much more enjoyable looking after something like this with the support of you lot.

Great story and a lovely car, I miss big Volvos.

The low coolant temperature could be the reason for the emissions failure, my mum had my old SAAB 9000 fail on emissions, it was running cool and the primitive ECU over-fuelled to compensate, simply replacing the thermostat (twice, the first one was shit - always buy genuine thermostats) fixed it.