Allo Allo, Topless French fancy or Pug deux-zero-cinq or how to fix fuel injection without resorting to fire or insanity

Tamworthbay

That’s the key to the driving experience though, that is why they feel so connected to the road in a way that modern cars just can’t match. They aren’t exactly heavy cars so the lack of power steering isn’t the worst hardship to say the least.

Not really. I have managed to acquire two lengths of shrunk seal which if the worst comes to the worst I will cut and shut with mine to make do. I have heard the Peugeot museum in France MAY be reproducing them ‘soon’ but whether they will and how much they would be is another matter. Otherwise it’s a matter of hunting down second hand ones but as you can guess they are mostly the same.

I am struggling to track down a pair of the lower shock pins as well. Service bits are easy to come by, but slightly more obscure stuff seems none existent. I can’t believe someone doesn’t have a few bolts somewhere of the correct dimensions but I can’t find them.

On 5/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, Tamworthbay said:

So finally got around to changing the coolant. Apart from a very rusty hose clip all was good. Even the old coolant looked remarkably clean so I am guessing it’s not been in there long. Having seen it it probably didn’t need changing but it can’t harm can it? Also isolated the oil leak which is from the gearbox so I need to investigate that a bit more. It’s nothing major so not too urgent.

55971D51-ED6B-4737-A875-648450DCFE88.thumb.jpeg.611c39fc89fee66042b09b1b910582fb.jpeg59371995-5482-4A4A-A620-99BF9B0523CF.thumb.jpeg.dec28fcd6fb41b041e0278a87c0b3e93.jpeg

Are these an ally block and head engine?

And a massive result today, my Mum loves the 205 and I was mentioning that I am looking for a garage to put it in over winter as my two are full of a Capri and what’s left of the mini project. She has very kindly said I can store it in her garage over the winter. A couple of hours of clearing will see it in a nice dry, safe garage for the winter months. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Filled her up today, averaged over 35mpg which is fantastic. I haven’t had chance to have another go at the rear shocks yet so it's just been driving and enjoying.

Nice, I got more than 40 out of the last tank in mine, but it was mostly motorway miles. I can't imagine cheaper, funner motoring.

Same here on the "just driving and enjoying" - I really ought to lavish some TLC on mine but so far it's been no trouble at all. Just done a 300 mile round trip to the south coast and back, roof open all the way there, and a fair bit of fast lane Audi bothering. I was grinning all the way. They really fly along.

7 minutes ago, marm said:

Nice, I got more than 40 out of the last tank in mine, but it was mostly motorway miles. I can't imagine cheaper, funner motoring.

Same here on the "just driving and enjoying" - I really ought to lavish some TLC on mine but so far it's been no trouble at all. Just done a 300 mile round trip to the south coast and back, roof open all the way there, and a fair bit of fast lane Audi bothering. I was grinning all the way. They really fly along.

I am sure it will do crazy mpg if I was careful, but it’s sooooooo much fun to give it the beans that I seem to have reverted to a spotty 17 year old again

Mine is going better and better all the time, the fuel had sat for 18 months and there was 3/4 tank so I have gradually flushed it through with clean fuel. This time I ran it down to below a quarter of a tank before refilling so hopefully it’s got a vast majority of fresh fuel in it now. That has probably not helped with the mpg as well. I spun up the wheels by accident coming out of Asda tonight, bloody hooligan.

30 minutes ago, marm said:

I keep doing that too, quite embarrassing, Would help if I had decent tyres. Must sort them actually before I kill myself.

Mine is on the finest quality ten year old Chinese 165 ditch finders! And yet it still outgrips most other cars on roundabouts..... With a decent set of rubber it would be unreal. 

• 2 months later...

It’s been far too long since I updated this, but truth is that I have just been enjoying driving it. A few minor jobs are still on the to do,list but I decided to have a go at the discoloured plastics. I tried some stuff that was suggested on here, pics below to show the results. I am a little disappointed but the mid grey of the bumper seems a real pain to improve. I think every snake oil under the sun has probably been tried at some point which has made it patchy as well. The stuff worked perfectly on the window winders which are a known fade spot and the mirrors look much nicer. There was plenty in the 100ml sample pot and I have about 2/3rds left. Not really sure where to go with the bumpers now. I may try and find a pair and try the heat gun trick on them but don’t want to risk it on these.IMG_20190823_144137.thumb.jpg.83e4e649672622aec571aef746ff27a5.jpgIMG_20190823_144155.thumb.jpg.cb4d196813e6572f2bbaf68ca340f710.jpgIMG_20190823_145455.thumb.jpg.9f92d8e01cbd3642b759e9f382e998d2.jpgIMG_20190823_145534.thumb.jpg.abe4f2a405ff0705bfd2c73edbc37f6d.jpgIMG_20190823_145801.thumb.jpg.b19f357c1facde0316add2c86dc03605.jpgIMG_20190823_145810.thumb.jpg.35a29b101addbbfe816e0061a0903301.jpgIMG_20190823_145819.thumb.jpg.8678008108c8b04195a934c43dcb310e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been a good few months now with the 205 and it’s been an absolute blast. The initial problems with the running are now well behind it and I feel very attached to it after all the hours that went into its recommissioning. It’s also very popular with the family which always helps. Yesterday was spent under sealing and treating a few bits ready for its well earned winter rest. Today was spent giving it a good clean. If all goes according to plan it will be safely tucked away in my Mum’s garage this time next week. As long as it’s dry we are on for the 40 mile trip, if it’s chucking it down it will have to wait as I don’t want to put it away wet. Verdict on 205 ownership so far? 10/10 it’s easy to be disappointed when you have admired cars for a long time but the 205 has delivered in every way. A car everyone should own at least once.

• 4 months later...

Bloody weather, I was supposed to be getting the pug out of hibernation today but a load of local flooding and road closures meant that wifey wasn’t too keen on the 30 mile drive back from its winter residence at my Mums. I was up there doing DIY anyway so checked on it and can’t wait to get it on the road again. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get the chance at a guess.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_20200307_121656.thumb.jpg.0c35837317794b437fdfe6073e499dbb.jpgCollected from winter storage and back in action fighting the hordes at the local out of town shopping shite hole. Seen in its natural habitat of ‘showing up stupid cunts who like big ugly bastard cars for no reason’. It was funny walking back to it and watching three SUV’s start to turn into the space only to see the CJ and then have to back up. Then roof down and blast home.

Thirty mile trip from it’s resting place went without problem and it was purring by the end. Initially the brakes were dragging a little even though I had left the handbrake off and it was a little hesitant on a neutral throttle. Within five miles all was good.

Happiness is a small French car.

• 3 months later...

Due to the lockdown the CJ has sat sans MoT on the drive for the last three months (MoT expired less than a week before the exemption came into force). So I decided it needed a check over ready for whenever I can get it to test station. Good news overall. The boot needed a quick wire brushing inside and a (very) thick coat of Bilthamber electrox high Zinc paint to keep it nice for years to come. The underside looks good everywhere I could see. I could still do with swapping the rear shocks but need to find a socket I can adapt as the slots are damaged and allow the nut to spin but don’t give enough space to get a socket in.