Allo Allo, Topless French fancy or Pug deux-zero-cinq or how to fix fuel injection without resorting to fire or insanity

Tamworthbay

I saw a G-reg one of these in Exmouth on Saturday, in exactly the same colour.  Big grins all around.  Quite a rare steer and very distinctive.

Oddly, I saw two 205s in under an hour.

The guy who brought it down said he hadn’t moved one in over five years but has done three in two weeks including another CJ. I can’t remember the last one I saw in the wild but they used to be absolutely everywhere.

I was overjoyed to see a Mk. 3 Fiesta last weekend.  My Dad had one, everyone had one of those.  Until then, I hadn't seen one in months and they must have sold hundreds of thousands of them.  Saw a Sierra on Saturday too (about a minute before I saw the first 205, actually) and again, nowhere to be seen.

I grew up in the 90s and remember the cars distinctly but they really have all but disappeared.  The thing is though is that the 90s was probably the first time it was hard to buy a really bad new car...

I had the pleasure of picking this up with StrangeAngel when he purchased it from a lass in Darlington I think it was, very enjoyable trip out and it was a comfy drive back to Yorkshire, they are great cars these 205's, and the soft top is pure winning, glad it's being saved :)

I had the pleasure of picking this up with StrangeAngel when he purchased it from a lass in Darlington I think it was, very enjoyable trip out and it was a comfy drive back to Yorkshire, they are great cars these 205's, and the soft top is pure winning, glad it's being saved :)

Looking back through the receipts I think she had a bit of a shock, bought it in January 2015 for £695 then forked out £710 on repairs less than two months later. That must have hurt. It’s been around a bit and seems to be moving from the Midlands up north and back every few years. I have had an itch for a 205 for a while yet but never quite got there, regretting not doing it sooner now as fell in love with this in minutes.

Looking back through the receipts I think she had a bit of a shock, bought it in January 2015 for £695 then forked out £710 on repairs less than two months later. That must have hurt. It’s been around a bit and seems to be moving from the Midlands up north and back every few years. I have had an itch for a 205 for a while yet but never quite got there, regretting not doing it sooner now as fell in love with this in minutes.

BTW I've got the Huddersfield dealer keyring that came with it, will get it to you at some point.

I drove one of these all over Devon many years ago and loved it, it was a really sweet car. Enough power, more grins to the mile than a GTi (which ime was as much gritted teeth as grin) and simple enough to keep into old age. I've always wondered why prices haven't gone silly.

I have managed to source a complete throttle body which I hope will sort out the idle problems, it is in The Netherlands and I owe a massive thank you to our own Eddie Honda for helping me get the money over to them. The collection of bits is growing, a week tomorrow I will be able to make a start on doing some of the work at last!

The whole set up is prone to ‘age related issues’. A twin piston caliper is more expensive to make but they do stand up to long service better. I have driven minis on all round drums where a flat steering wheel ended up dished after you had braked a few times so I am sure I will get used to them. The box of bits is growing but I really need to wait until I get paid next for any more purchases. I have really got the buzz for this car though, had lost my old car mojo a bit but an old pug seems the cure. As for values, they are stupid cheap and whilst the sporty ones have gone up in value the convertible ones seem les popular. I am already nearly up to what I could get a rough MoTed one for but that’s not the point to me, is nice to be able to save one that’s future was looking a bit uncertain. I think a good low miles Mk1 on a carb may be a decent investment, but that’s not the AS way, you need a slightly down at heel one you can sink money into and still know it’s worth peanuts just for the enjoyment of doing something 99% of the population would think you are crazy for doing.

I see it's a moot point now you have the pentagon sockets, but I successfully put a new piston and seal in a 106 caliper without removing the pad carrier. I would have been able to do a slightly better job of cleaning the crud out of the seal groove had I taken it off, but it worked fine.

For a fiver it seemed worth getting, also if you look at the pic of the caliper you’ll see it is probably due either a damn good clean or a trip to the tip.

Mine was a bit less gopping, but I still didn't fancy my chances of getting the carrier bolts undone even with the correct socket, and was happy to leave them well alone. The bleed nipple gave me quite enough grief! If you're refurbing it (the piston kit was something like 17 quid from Bigg Red, the new bleed nipple was only a quid or so) then I'd be inclined to leave the pad carrier on unless you really need to remove it for some reason. I half recall hearing that it's possible to cock up the alignment if you remove it, but that could just be my overactive imagination.

Good luck with the nipples! I usually beat the calliper about with a copper hammer, then put a spanner onto the nipple and thrash the shit out of it till its a mangled mess, then try and tighten it just a touch after soaking it in something for as long as possible before hand. What tricks do you apply?

Shit loads of plusgas for a day or two, then (best tip from an old geezer I used to know) put a drill bit of the exact size down the hole as it stops the nipple collapsing, then heat the caliper with a blow torch, then a spray of shock and unlock and turn. It’s never failed yet but there is a first time for everything....... even when you get them out it’s often next to replace anyway.