1993 Renault 19 RSI 1.8 8v £7 roffle

bramz7

This is embarrassing. I bought this as a car to take to shows and I can't get any insurance for it. Lowest quote is £800 for a normal policy, and classic insurance is averaging about £1400. Insane.
I'm really gutted but can't keep a car I can't insure.
The lowdown is as follows:

One of two RSI 19s on the road. This has the 8 valve 1794cc engine, which produces around 110hp. It's a bit of a nippy bugger around town. I will say this, it doesn't seem to like motorways much but on twisty roads it's just fun and cheeky, handling better than it should.
I put an advert for it up on that dumb retro pre 1996 page on Facebook and got about 120 likes and 130 comments, yet not one person has said 'YES GIMME IT HERE MONEY', I'm not going to engage in bartering. I am not selling this at a profit, this is literally what I paid for it.
The 16v alloys themselves are worth over £100.
Really nice bucket seats but oddly it has manual windows/mirrors/no door speakers, but also has an electric sunroof? Weird.

I'm in two minds about selling it, but if I store it without insurance and it then gets stolen/vandalised/set on fire, I'm fucked.

Happy to entertain classic insurance eligible swaps. Keen on one of the following:
Rover 800
Rover 600
Alfa Romeos of any shape
Citroen AX/ZX (has to be at least a 1.1 AX or a similarly powerful ZX)
Volvo pre 1990

The negatives:
The alloys seem to make the ride sound loud.
Various marks and dents all over with some lacquer loss
Starter motor doesn't sound too fresh
Cambelt history unclear but it looks good.

Ready to roll otherwise.

I'll add photos in the next post.

i did have the loan of one for a week when they were new, my car needed so warranty work and the garage had no loan cars so I got the service managers company car in red. Seem to remember it was a decent steer with a good bit of performance for 20 odd years ago and I couldn't get it to come unstuck despite trying quite hard. GLWTR.

I thought your house was almost impossible to find even with the postcode?

Tis true……. lost count of the neighbours bothered by munchkin and I. cars are pretty visible on the road though - so nefarious types wouldn't have to knock……

Somebody buy this - I can't really think of taking this under my wing as it would be left to sit in a corner indefinitely while I cursed myself and wished I'd held out for another 16v

Someone do a buy!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...