Thames TV Retro Road Tests. Feel Free To Add.

warren t claim

Thanks for posting the BMW 2002 video.

I always liked those, Years & years ago I drove a 2002 Touring estate version in bright orange. I was really tempted to buy it but back then I still lived with my parents & as I had a car already (Ford 105e Anglia) my mother didn't want two cars on the front, as I couldn't easily move the Anglia on (it's in the days before the internet & ebay), I had to pass on the Beemer. Always regretted not getting it :(

2002's are a pretty pricey beast now !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My mum had a doom blue 5 Dr on a V plate. There was a perfect circle of rust inside the 0 of the 104 badge on the bonnet. The valvegear was trashed as well. My dad and uncle slightly lost on the Yorkshire moors heard it and knew which way to walk. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 12:32 AM, GrumpyCat said:

I found out what eventually happened to this Silver Pony. It was the very first Hyundai  to come in to the UK back in 1977. It was evaluated by the eventual importers - International Motors Group. The registration was genuine.  After the brand had been launched in the UK back in 1982 - International Motors felt no need to hold on to its evaluation stock and offered them out to their early dealers.  Plough Garage in Carmarthen in Wales snapped them all up in a bargain deal - and this early car was duly turned in to a Rally Car - of which it it had some success in its class and to which it led the rest of its life as. ?

FB_IMG_1572557322314.jpg

9 hours ago, Braddon81 said:

... the very first Hyundai  to come in to the UK ..... this early car was duly turned in to a Rally Car - of which it it had some success in its class and to which it led the rest of its life as. ?

FB_IMG_1572557322314.jpg

And what happened to it after its rally career was over?

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

And what happened to it after its rally career was over?

It was rallied to near destruction. Tin worm eventually killed it and the car was scrapped, something which the owner now regrets. Hes  now hunting for another to relive his youth and the memories of his dad's old dealership. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

Interesting test. Low polluting Diesel,, funny how the experts opinions on that has changed isn't it !

7 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

Interesting test. Low polluting Diesel,, funny how the experts opinions on that has changed isn't it !

Indeed, there are far too many ‘experts’ voicing their opinions on this subject now, any well maintained diesel engined car from the last 15 or so years will be much cleaner than that old tractor engined Peugeot..

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 6:12 PM, Skut said:

A young Mr Chumleigh-Warner talks very awkwardly about rubbish and then scrapyards. Notice the VW splittie camper on the pile being spared it's hipster future. 

On 7/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, bunglebus said:

I was going to post that, but most of it is literally, rubbish. 95% of which looked recyclable too - not a plastic bag or bottle in sight. We've come so far! 

It amazes me that From the early 1970s most of the rest of the UK was piling rubbish into old quarries after the Ministry of fun (Health and safety Exec) forced the closure of most council destructors, where all metal, rags and cardboard were saved before the rest was burnt to provide electricity.

Then in the 1990s we needed to recycle to save the world, yet prior to the HSE getting involved your rubbish was recycled as much as possible. How we have evolved ?.

Moan over, please continue