eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

On 12/14/2021 at 6:36 PM, Ford Prefect said:

ULEZ victim: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284561915822?hash=item4241363fae:g:p80AAOSwJB5ho6jp

270915279_Screenshot2021-12-10at22-32-27s-l1600jpg(JPEGImage16001200pixels)Scaled(64).png.ca0e813f544bcbcb9121a63b82902dbd.png

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cQ0AAOSwC9xho6kj/s-l1600.jpg

What with revelations from the Epstein/Maxwell court case going on, am I the only one who finds the original picture (see link) a bit, ummmmm, “unsettling”, given the setting, state of (un)dress and youthful appearance of the female concerned?

Apologies to the female concerned and the seller, and no disrespect meant, but the picture adds nothing to the value or desirability of the car IMO. In fact, it puts me off.

What would freak me out though is if it had something in it like “can be viewed at my mothers residence in Central London near The Mall. Ask for Andy at the police gate. Viewing any time as currently not working”

Maybe I need to get out more.

Yeah in my eyes its just an shameless bit of objectification in order to make a click. From an objective view also, it suggests that the seller might be trying too hard which suggests the car isn't up to scratch. What does the seat look like that she is sitting on? What sort of seller are we dealing with who is willing to do that sort of thing in the first place? 

Like you, I am also unsettled by this, just too many questions and dodgy themes 

18 hours ago, MisterH said:

Yeah in my eyes its just an shameless bit of objectification in order to make a click. From an objective view also, it suggests that the seller might be trying too hard which suggests the car isn't up to scratch. What does the seat look like that she is sitting on? What sort of seller are we dealing with who is willing to do that sort of thing in the first place? 

Like you, I am also unsettled by this, just too many questions and dodgy themes 

I'll say it again: look closely.

Image 81 - Mercedes sl 280 1997

Image 101 - Mercedes sl 280 1997

image.png.68754f21da90e11e913cb04059bc991d.png

That woman seems to be the seller. 

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I'll say it again: look closely.

Image 81 - Mercedes sl 280 1997

Image 101 - Mercedes sl 280 1997

image.png.68754f21da90e11e913cb04059bc991d.png

That woman seems to be the seller. 

I'd say the photo of the owner where most of her clothes have fallen off was taken early on in her eighteen year ownership. The photo of her now looks very different. 

To be fair, her sales technique has clearly worked as there are a load of potential customers shiters looking at the listing. 

On 12/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, KitKat said:

God I'd love that. I'd just started work in 1971 and one of the older blokes ("Ted" 'cos that was his name) had a white saloon version (I think C reg so 1965?)   He did “odd jobs” for Pat Moss / Erik Carlsson who lived in the same village as him and had bought it off them.

I can still hear (and smell) that thing even now. As he came into the long entrance to the yard he’d give it some revs  and all you could hear was “bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing” as he accelerated, and as he slowed down it became “bliiiiiing bliiiiing,bliing, bling, bling, bling” with the trail of blue smoke behind.

He said that when the rally team were over all you could hear some nights was these things howling round the local countryside.

I only found out recently that they had the free wheel hubs on them to stop the engine seizing under over-run because of the oil-in-petrol lubrication (high revs and no throttle = no oil-in-petrol lubrication to the cylinders = potential seizure)

And one unrelated comment, he said that when they had their daughter the team brought over disposable nappies, apparently not available in the UK at the time. Told you it was unrelated.

8 hours ago, D.E said:

What, you don't include at least one picture of yourself in undergarments when selling a car?

Some do, even if the said undies are not theirs.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/dad-uses-lingerie-shots-of-daughter-to-sell-car-21192

I have heard that you can also purchase used underwear, just like you can a used car.