eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

15 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Ooof indeed! This looks like the ex Stondon car. I don’t know where it ended up after the brightwell auction but it could have gone to Northern Ireland by the looks of it?
I went to the Stondon auction at Brightwells as I fancied the Lagonda or Camargue, both went for more than I was prepared to pay being a tightwad!

The auctioneer was taking bids off the wall and tried to fit up a bloke standing near me for excessive bids on the Camargue, it was clear that he had said he was out at around the price I wanted to pay. The auctioneer was very dodgy!

9 hours ago, Austat said:

3823804955_1be458134e_c.jpg

1983 Datsun Sunny 1.5GL Coupe (B11) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Like me in 1989, but I had an intact tailgate. That would be a tricky thing to find.

The C-reg Sunny coupe near me is staill available AFAIK, although I believe Datman has someone interested in it.

48340288332_01dd5093fe_b.jpg

1985 Nissan Sunny 1.5 SGL Maxima Coupe by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

On 6/24/2020 at 10:55 PM, MarvinsMom said:

amazingly,for extra scary-ness this has  2 whole cylinders in the mighty JAP? engine.

105395866_3188012284596465_6089734647547740759_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=8FxenIE4sQgAX-qqLi9&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=e392bd64a7bc2b544e642cdf75c750e7&oe=5F17ED54

That's a Villiers 4T engine - an option for the Type G minicar; although Villiers bought JAP in 1957, 4 years before the type G was introduced, so there is some sort of connection.

I wouldn't worry about the scariness of it - it developed a mighty 17 (seventeen) horsepower.

It used a Siba Dynastart to start it. This used clever elastrickery to turn the dynamo into a starter motor by reversing the polarity of the neutron flow or something. I think the starter motor/generator on my newfangled Hyundai Ioniq uses the same principals. The kickstarter was there just in case...

4 hours ago, martc said:

That's a Villiers 4T engine - an option for the Type G minicar; although Villiers bought JAP in 1957, 4 years before the type G was introduced, so there is some sort of connection.

I wouldn't worry about the scariness of it - it developed a mighty 17 (seventeen) horsepower.

It used a Siba Dynastart to start it. This used clever elastrickery to turn the dynamo into a starter motor by reversing the polarity of the neutron flow or something. I think the starter motor/generator on my newfangled Hyundai Ioniq uses the same principals. The kickstarter was there just in case...

Those Koreans think of everything ! Do all Ioniqs have a kickstarter or just the hybrids?

2 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Those Koreans think of everything ! Do all Ioniqs have a kickstarter or just the hybrids?

Boom, I'm here all week...

Incidentally, another feature of the Siba Dynastart I forgot to mention was the facility to start the engine backwards to give as many reverse gears as forwards.  The Dynastart was widely used in the Microcar world where motorbike engines of various makes needed to be adapted to car like features, but the reverse feature was only usable with two strokes, and in the UK at least, only owners who had the correct driving licence (ie a car one, not a motorbike one) could use it.

And, I think you'll find, Ioniqs have a proper (DCT) gearbox with a genuine reverse gear.

8 hours ago, martc said:

its from the internet so its probably not true but I like to think it is :) 

but I read somewhere of someone who got given by Derry Preston cobb one of his old engines to fit to his Bond Mini car, apparently that one was very scary!

edit here we go from the Virtual Gaz page http://www.virtualgaz.com/invacarpage.htm

"I drove the the lorry and trailer delivering Invacars and the Greeves motorcycles for fourteen years. Derry Preston-Cobb (MD) had his own special invalid car with a Greeves racing engine, side mounted. It was a very fast machine and we regulary had to go and rescue Derry when he turned it over trying to corner too fast. When he had to give up this machine, he gave me the engine to fit in my Bond mini-car. The Bond went so fast it frightened me, because the brakes were not efficient enough to stop it quickly. The lorry and trailer carried four cars, two on the truck and two on the trailer. To load the lorry, I had to drive up the lowered trailer tailboard and fast up a steeper ramp onto the back of the truck. The first car was easy enough, but with the second one, I had to brake sharply after speeding up the ramp, so as not to smash into the first one. I had some great times there and still have freinds I worked with". Dave Price (Hedgehog) (2003)

2 hours ago, martc said:

but the reverse feature was only usable with two strokes, and in the UK at least, only owners who had the correct driving licence (ie a car one, not a motorbike one) could use it.

Very true, when my dad bought his first car, a Reliant Regal MkVI in about 1961, he only had a bike licence so had to take a further test so he could remove the blanking plate that stopped him using reverse on the Reliant.

Check out this weird-ass looking thing.  Used to be a Renault 4 apparently.  Advertised in the commercial vehicles section for some reason.s-l1600.jpg

What the actual fuck were they thinking?

It’s like the spastic offspring of a Morgan and a Citroen lomax conversion that happens to also be the ginger step child. (All offensive descriptors in this post are totally meant)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk