eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

What could possibly go wrong?

$_57.JPG

“The car currently works and can be driven but after a short time the service light beeps and the light for monitoring exhaust gas comes on and the car then goes into limp mode. See the description for further information about this issue and suggestion about how it might be resolved.â€Â

That could become tiresome.

Mechanical fault

The car currently works and can be driven but after a short time the service light beeps and the light for monitoring exhaust gas comes on and the car then goes into limp mode. The car went into a local garage and they have not been able to diagnose the problem.  I then did a bit of Googling and found the number of an mechanic familiar with Avantimes and engine issues on the Avantime Owners website in a discussion post. He has not examined the car but has spoken at length with my Dad (who is mechanically knowledgeable) and identified that the most likely cause of the problem is the heater matrix. The windscreen heater does not work and this is another indication that it may well be the heater matrix at fault. I cannot guarantee that this is the cause and nor can the mechanic familiar with Avantime engines.

It's a Renault. We both know it won't be that simple.

New engine at 737800 miles so whilst the mileage may seem high there are only 620260 miles on the new engine.

Yea, but every automobile has issues - get rid of clutches and cambelt problems and you find head gaskets and wiring loom issues. What car has no clutch, a timing chain that outlasts continental drift, impeccable wiring and not even a thought about comprimising a cam belt? Serious enquiry :-)

124 3 litre diesel. Electric window winder mechs not as strong as the rest of the car, but easy and cheap to replace. Sunroof is unnecessarily awkward to sort when the cable gives problems after years of not greasing the sliding bits. Otherwise, if you rust-protect and are prepared to bolt on a pair of new front wings every 15 years or so, there's nothing much goes wrong. 92 or earlier preferable. Old fashioned driving experience of the very best quality.

Saab 900 clutches <93 are very quick to change (and last a long, long time) and the rest of the car is bombproof, too - similar levels of quality as Mercs of the same vintage. Vastly under-rated.

124 3 litre diesel. Window winder mechs not as strong as the rest of the car, but easy and cheap to replace. Sunroof is unnecessarily awkward to sort when the cable gives problems after years of not greasing the sliding bits. Otherwise, if you rust-protect and are prepared to bolt on a pair of new front wings every 15 years or so, there's nothing much goes wrong. 92 or earlier preferable. Old fashioned driving experience of the very best quality.

Saab 900 clutches <93 are very quick to change (and last a long, long time) and the rest of the car is bombproof, too - similar levels of quality as Mercs of the same vintage. Vastly under-rated.

It's just a shame that the W124 300D is so dire on diesel! Mind the later multivalve engine was even worse...

good luck getting two big ones for that, a LHD 1300 on Bulgarian plates!!!! You'd think if you rated this in thousands rather than hundreds you'd get it tested and UK regd. Oh let me guess, when that's done it'll be worth £3500+........ NOT

It's just a shame that the W124 300D is so dire on diesel! Mind the later multivalve engine was even worse...

Dunno, my mate is getting a genuine 45 on a longish commute at 80-90mph. For a big, heavy 3 litre 6 cylinder diesel with indirect injection and no electronics that's brilliant. It is a manual, which helps, and a coupe which is marginally more streamlined. Pop down to the shops in winter and of course a Passat 1.9TDi is going to be way better. But no sticking VNT turbos, no cambelt+tensioner+water pump every 60k, no myriad of electronic controls, DMF or EGR or other shit to cost hundreds.

My auto estate with over 300,000 miles on the clock will average 30-35 on veg in mixed use, under 100mph. But as well as being simple, tough and long-lasting, it's also of a quality which is long gone. Things like that matter on really long journeys or when you seem to be behind the wheel most of the working day. It'll also carry or tow a lot more than most.

Panels are included in the deal. Hence it's on my watchlist now.

Check the welding, and are there ever any probs with shell distortion on the P6, so that when you try to refit the panels, you can't?