eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

I bought this car for my son while he undertook a motor mechanics course at college. He has just completed the course but not the car.

g]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-TRIUMPH- ... 3381a1f310

It was a nice plan kid but unfortunately the search for someone to restore your Triumph in return for shelter from the rain must go on

Well, that's my foray into Alfa ownership sorted! :lol:

Cheers Cort! (I think?!) :mrgreen:

They're temperamental big shites those 166's but well worth 500 notes just for the noise alone. If you go to look at it first have a look at the big engine mount on the left hand side top of the engine as if borked (the rubber splits away from the bolt) as ruins they handling and they're about 1.7 billion lira to replace. Also the rear suspension setup is mega complex (you won't believe it until you see it) as it's meant to allow the rear wheels to steer slightly on corners. Have a look for bent suspension arms and worn bushes as it ruins the way they drive and looks seriously involved.

My mate has one of these 166’s, he’s tried to get me to take it off him a couple of times, seemingly its main problem is the rear suspension has seized up!!! I’ve never heard of that before but apparently it can happen on these.

The rear suspension setup is like a spiders web of arms and droplinks. I think there's something like 6 bolts holding on the rear subframe so the easiest thing would probably be to drop the whole thing out to work on it.

For 500 quid with a long mot you can't go too far wrong. The one i had had loads of niggly little problems I seemed to spend for ever trying to fix.

Sadly that Avenger will no doubt end up on an age related plate which will massively devalue it, it's current value is in it's uniqueness, like any "as new - unregistered" vehicle it soon loses it's appeal once it hits the road, there was a "new" R32 Skyline built from a factory shell that ended up on an 06 or 07 plate when it was completed so the DVLA can do it when they want to.

There used to be a few 50's and 60's Yanks knocking about on 77-82 S to X plates reflecting the date of first registration but all that changed when the prefix and Q plate system came out.