eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

What looks like a Gentry kit car but is perhaps impossible to register.

Listed as “garage find” but to be perfectly honest I don’t think it took much searching once you made a start.

image.thumb.png.cee3e6890be6ab62aa6fcff33a2d9b1e.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134520018482?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=9UMgZQ-lQoC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=y9xs1hiVQ9O&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

27 minutes ago, garethj said:

Doesn’t look bad although he mentions the negative being the interior and helpfully doesn’t show a single interior picture 😂

not sure how much he’s after though, he doesn’t mention exactly the price he’s after whatsoever…..

1 hour ago, garethj said:

What looks like a Gentry kit car but is perhaps impossible to register.

Listed as “garage find” but to be perfectly honest I don’t think it took much searching once you made a start.

image.thumb.png.cee3e6890be6ab62aa6fcff33a2d9b1e.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134520018482?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=9UMgZQ-lQoC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=y9xs1hiVQ9O&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

morbid curiosity got the better of me so I checked and its registered already, or should I say still retains the Identity of the 1954 Morris Minor I presume it was was constructed from? 

tis correctly registered as a Convertible at least LOL

1 hour ago, D.E said:

These four prototypes differ from the production models by having a handmade front bumper assembly and a chromium plated rear Allegro Series 3 bumper, which sadly, were not carried forward for the production models.

Yea, ok not convinced M9

56 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

morbid curiosity got the better of me so I checked and its registered already, or should I say still retains the Identity of the 1954 Morris Minor I presume it was was constructed from? 

tis correctly registered as a Convertible at least LOL

The advert says that it’s just a numberplate sitting close to the car, not that it’s registered with it.  Bizarre!

A Morris Minor has a monocoque construction and this has a ladder frame so it would be quite a stretch to say it’s the same car?

39 minutes ago, garethj said:

The advert says that it’s just a numberplate sitting close to the car, not that it’s registered with it.  Bizarre!

Yeah but the VIN plate nailed screwed to the side of the car is another matter :) 

39 minutes ago, garethj said:

A Morris Minor has a monocoque construction and this has a ladder frame so it would be quite a stretch to say it’s the same car?

indeed thats why I worded things how I did, however the whole identity thing, really depends on when exactly it was constructed

back in the 1980's and before times, rules concerning kit cars where a lot more relaxed then they are now

for example IIRC in the early 80's you only really needed the axels from a donor car and it could still retain the donor cars original identity! (although usually you would change the vehicle make/model on the logbook to whichever the kit car was, but not always, seen a good few Lomax's registered as 2CV's still for example)

so this may seem quite dodgy at first but could be well be completely legitimate

or it could be completely dodgy still, nothing stops someone pinching the VIN plate from a Morris Minor and nailing it to the side of their MG lookalike kit car LOL

as an aside note on the Morris Minor Monocoque thing, I seem to recall reading Travellers or at least the Utility variants (Van/pickup) did have separate chassis still? so could it be built upon one of those? 

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

as an aside note on the Morris Minor Monocoque thing, I seem to recall reading Travellers or at least the Utility variants (Van/pickup) did have separate chassis still? so could it be built upon one of those? 

The Minor van/pickup had a separate chassis, but the Traveller used basically the saloon platform.

The kit car looks to have a Triumph engine etc. but I don't think it's a Gentry, which IIRC had an aluminium body and was a lot better proportioned, and could be mistaken for the real thing.

As you say it may have been legitimately registered at the time, when it was all a bit of a grey area and it often depended on what the builder told the  LVLO.

Bit of an odd one.  And not worth wasting time on, because it will never be quite right, IMO. 

11 hours ago, D.E said:

9 hours ago, High Jetter said:

These four prototypes differ from the production models by having a handmade front bumper assembly and a chromium plated rear Allegro Series 3 bumper, which sadly, were not carried forward for the production models.

Yea, ok not convinced M9

It may sound unlikely, but it's totally true!  I have known the seller for 25 years and can vouch for him, not that anyone on here is likely to want to buy it.  I was also at the Gaydon auction he mentions where one of the other prototypes sold; another friend wanted to buy it but it went above their budget.

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

This is nice, the lack of rusty front wings and huge hole in the drivers seat makes me nervous

1c351c754d204bf285770eb7f868acb5.jpg

6a5b8ea515a14a8c9c9552726939a054.jpg

For seating the children you don't like

5c76a3368e0048ceb36e4ae9b139d7de.jpg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304116172904

Judging by the steering wheel and wheels(neither of which are cheap) someone must have loved the car. Easily understandable considering it's the best color you could get these in.