eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

2 hours ago, J W Pepper said:

Screenshot_20220627-211626_eBay.thumb.jpg.85e4b137402b92c62cd6b465cf343e50.jpg

Stomil!!

On a different note, although there's no record whatsoever of an MOT online (so last MOT was pre 2006 I assume), it looks to have been robbed of its original plate with a recent format replacement... @LightBulbFun  agreed? Weird. 

13 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

On a different note, although there's no record whatsoever of an MOT online (so last MOT was pre 2006 I assume), it looks to have been robbed of its original plate with a recent format replacement... @LightBulbFun  agreed? Weird. 

indeed, it has been I almost made a post going off on a rant about it but held back

it and the Austin 10 just a couple posts down  are just a sad case of they fortuitously came across the vehicle for not much, have robbed it of its number plate for a quick buck and are now punting it on having stripped it of any residual value basically, I hate this type of plate robbery the most, its what infuriates me the most, as it does NOTHING for the vehicle, and their just profiting off likely someone else's good will or sad set of circumstances

this sadly became all too prevalent with the MOT exemption as until recently a vehicle only had to be of an MOT-able type, theres nothing in the rules that say it actually had to have a current MOT

and costing nothing to tax meant anyone could take any barn find, tax it and rob of its plate quite easily, and dump it

thankfully the DVLA sometime in Late 2021 made it a requirement that any historic vehicle must have a current MOT, regardless of if its MOT exempt or not under historic grounds, to be eligible for a plate transfer, so by doing this thankfully will ensure that any historic vehicle that is to be robbed of its plate, will have to be brought up to a good road worthy standard, therefor ensuring that it has a future

which pleases me greatly (as it prevents exactly whats happened above sadly the rule change was not introduced until after the Ford was robbed of its plate by the looks of things)

as an aside I do wonder how many Personal plates are actually still out there rather then private plates, there used to be a time when a car wearing an old number was because it came from their grandfathers Austin 7 that the grandfather kept the number on when they scrapped it in 1956 and passed it down or such and it actually meant something to the family, not just some plate for some BMW Wanker to look cool in front of their peer group or such

*grumble grumble grumble*

can you tell I really dont like plate  Robbery of this sort?

like I can understand if you had a cherished vehicle and something tragic happened to it, wanting to keep the plate from it

or even begrudgingly I can understand selling a vehicles plate to fund its restoration (although Im still not that happy about it but at least its for the vehicles own good)

but this sort of "rob it and punt it on" just pisses me off so much

so much for not going on a rant LOL

25 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

indeed, it has been I almost made a post going off on a rant about it but held back

it and the Austin 10 just a couple posts down  are just a sad case of they fortuitously came across the vehicle for not much, have robbed it of its number plate for a quick buck and are now punting it on having stripped it of any residual value basically, I hate this type of plate robbery the most, its what infuriates me the most, as it does NOTHING for the vehicle, and their just profiting off likely someone else's good will or sad set of circumstances

this sadly became all too prevalent with the MOT exemption as until recently a vehicle only had to be of an MOT-able type, theres nothing in the rules that say it actually had to have a current MOT

and costing nothing to tax meant anyone could take any barn find, tax it and rob of its plate quite easily, and dump it

thankfully the DVLA sometime in Late 2021 made it a requirement that any historic vehicle must have a current MOT, regardless of if its MOT exempt or not under historic grounds, to be eligible for a plate transfer, so by doing this thankfully will insure that any historic vehicle that is to be robbed of its plate, will have to be brought up to a good road worthy standard, therefor ensuring that it has a future

which pleases me greatly (as it prevents exactly whats happened above sadly the rule change was not introduced until after the Ford was robbed of its plate by the looks of things)

as an aside I do wonder how many Personal plates are actually still out there rather then private plates, there used to be a time when a car wearing an old number was because it came from their grandfathers Austin 7 that the grandfather kept the number on when they scrapped it in 1956 and passed it down or such and it actually meant something to the family, not just some plate for some BMW Wanker to look cool in front of their peer group or such

*grumble grumble grumble*

can you tell I really dont like plate  Robbery of this sort?

like I can understand if you had a cherished vehicle and something tragic happened to it, wanting to keep the plate from it

or even begrudgingly I can understand selling a vehicles plate to fund its restoration (although Im still not that happy about it but at least its for the vehicles own good)

but this sort of "rob it and punt it on" just pisses me off so much

so much for not going on a rant LOL

I didn't realise DooVLA only changed the rules in 2021. I assumed the stipulation that a car had to be MOTd in order to remove the plate was put into place years ago. Every day's a school day...

20 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I didn't realise DooVLA only changed the rules in 2021. I assumed the stipulation that a car had to be MOTd in order to remove the plate was put into place years ago. Every day's a school day...

yeah it only has to be of a type that needs an MOT not that it has to have one, but I imagine a lot of people just glossed over it and read it as "has to have an MOT"

this is supposed to stop people from plate robbing milk floats and tractors and things like that,

heres what it currently says

image.png

and heres what it used to say

image.png

this should also stop people from plate robbing invalid carriages, as they are not an MOT-able type of vehicle either

but alas I have seen it happen to a few sadly

because MOT testers and DVLA people, dont actually read their own rules and regulations and just MOT them as a Tricycle which they are not

if you look at the V112 form you will see "invalid carriages weighing no more than 306Kg when unloaded" as one of the Categories of an MOT exempt vehicle, and that its one of the earliest there

going back to the early 1970's all invalid vehicles where MOT exempt, but rules where put in place to make Model 70's require an MOT, hence the 306Kg part, as All Villiers machines have an unladen revenue weight of 305Kg or less

1 minute ago, alcyonecorporation said:

Bafflement. He got it for his wife, Ange, who had a Mercedes C200. 

Yes, I was thinking that Ange would be stuck with Mercedeez forever - or maybe end up like people I see around here with something like X5 PAM on a 1 series.

2 minutes ago, alcyonecorporation said:

She must have had to downgrade a bit. 

I like to think she upgraded to a new partner who didn't rob cars of their number plates, forcing her ex-husband to transfer the plate to one of his own cars, and spend some time considering his life choices. 

22 minutes ago, Dan29 said:

I like to think she upgraded to a new partner who didn't rob cars of their number plates, forcing her ex-husband to transfer the plate to one of his own cars, and spend some time considering his life choices. 

Yeah but I got a 305 estate out of it. 

IMG_6668.JPG

2 hours ago, alcyonecorporation said:

The only reason my 305 estate survived was because the seller thought a car needed one to transfer the plate from. 

Hence, C200 ANG became C979 CFG - and a village in Suffolk not from where it was supplied that suits my mood. 

IMG_20170507_193147.jpg

in a round about way you sort of did need an MOT depending on the situation, in that a vehicle has to be taxed, if its currently not taxed/SORN or has been SORN for more then 5 years

and to tax a vehicle you need a current MOT, so you could argue that indirectly you needed an MOT to take a plate off a vehicle

hence the loop hole that opened up when the historic vehicle MOT exemption came into place, since suddenly you could meet the requirement of "be taxed" without a vehicle ever seeing an MOT

but if the vehicle has been continuously taxed and/or SORN for less then 5 years then it does not need a current MOT (unless its a historic vehicle)

so yeah im not surprised most people generally assumed you needed an MOT to transfer the plate off a vehicle

C200ANG was a registration mark issued in period to the Skoda its on, so the 305's original plate will have been something else

and while im at it again LOL, there in lies one of the other reasons I dont like plate robbery as it hides a vehicle in effect, and can really mess with historical research! (and I speak on that from personal experience, for many years people thought VES108S was a private car until I discovered it was a Ministry car XEV88S, that was robbed of its plate in Scotland!) 

say if someone came across a period photo of a plate robbed car people might not realise that the car still exists or that they may even own it themselves! 

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

C200ANG was a registration mark issued in period to the Skoda its on, so the 305's original plate will have been something else

No, C200 ANG was the plate the 305 was issued with. It's etched on the windows and I have documentation from 1985 stating that mark.
I'm 190 miles from the documents at the moment, otherwise I'd have scanned them. 

God knows what he did with the plate - I can only go off the story he told me. 
If the plate was issued to a Skoda, why is the glass of my 305 etched with it? Why do I have supplying dealer information with that plate written in the service book and on old tax discs? 

6 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

are you sure about that?

image.thumb.png.cb13e761c18a681f918edf7a5d04ff45.png

well someone at the supplying dealer fucked up then LOL

OK I fold, sorry. 

Or my memory's shit. Fuck's sake, I bought it in 2016?! 

Well, that's me told. :D:D

Ange had a C220, then. 

Fuck off, it was cold and I've slept since then. 

ARGH. 

1 minute ago, alcyonecorporation said:

Yeah, or my memory's shit. Fuck's sake, I bought it in 2016?! 

Well, that's me told. :D:D

Yeah I did wonder if you meant "C200AMG" since I know AMG is a mercedes thing

however when you insisted it was C200ANG, but I knew there was no way it could be, because as above C200ANG was issued in period to a Skoda, which was last taxed in 1998 (which I even double checked with Carbaba and indeed showed no plate transfer warnings)

image.thumb.png.fcc2585ade0ecb2ff4f7b7e0b85831d7.png

morbid curiosity then got the better of me so I broke out the big guns to finally get the bottom of it all, because im weird and I find DVLA mysteries and edge cases fascinating, and if I ignored it would of been bugging me the rest of the week LOL

amusingly C220ANG is now on a Silver Diesel Vauxhall 

image.thumb.png.17e881564b110d556bd77386dd0226e3.png

so looks like Ange still got downgraded LOL (or upgraded? I dont know my moderns well enough to know how this compares to a Mercedes LOL)

14 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Scottish reg - were these one of those weird Scotland-only imports like the Nissan Tiida?

Probably from Ireland, there was a diesel one near my folks house for a few years too.

Also have to alert @Kiltoxthat two Fluences are on this page!

16 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Alternatively for another £800 on top you can buy this fully working example, albeit powered by a diesel engine.

s-l1600.jpg

Scottish reg - were these one of those weird Scotland-only imports like the Nissan Tiida?

Speedo is in km's so it's possibly an import from Ireland. The diesel models have a good rep for reliability. A lot of taxi drivers in Dublin were using them last time I was there.

8 minutes ago, mcmolloy1 said:

Speedo is in km's so it's possibly an import from Ireland. The diesel models have a good rep for reliability. A lot of taxi drivers in Dublin were using them last time I was there.

A modern Renault as a taxi? And they wonder where the Irish stereotypes come from.