eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

13 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Nope, worse. 1.4 petrol auto. All the saloon models in the UK came in Classic (base) trim. Skoda missed a trick by not making them for the other trim levels, IMO.

If there was an Elegance TDI 130 auto, would be a damn fine Fabia 

18 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

My dad had two as company cars when they were new - I always thought they were pretty decent tbf.

Agreed.  Although based on the humble (and slightly naff)  O-series petrol and somewhat agricultural, they were ahead of most contempories with direct injection.  Whilst the XUD is undeniably more refined, it struggles to match the Prima for performance and lags some way behind on economy.  I may be biased, I have a Prima in my Maestro van!

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Is £2.5K cheap these days for a rough 635?  I can't keep up anymore.

s-l1600.jpg

Plate must be worth serious coin to Wilf from 57 squadron or something mind. I don’t know man my pocket and I seem to way out of touch these days with the price of fish though the Iceland three packs for a tenner deal is the exception. Not getting me another shark nose bimmer any time soon though. 

7 hours ago, BeEP said:

Agreed.  Although based on the humble (and slightly naff)  O-series petrol and somewhat agricultural, they were ahead of most contempories with direct injection.  Whilst the XUD is undeniably more refined, it struggles to match the Prima for performance and lags some way behind on economy.  I may be biased, I have a Prima in my Maestro van!

Back in 1994 I think, the utilities company I worked for had a Montego Countryman TD estate leant for a month by Rover as a demonstrator.

The day before it was to be returned, the lease fleet manager realised it hadn’t been driven at all and would go back with zero additional miles on the clock. She rang me and asked if I’d take it for the night and try and put some miles on it. Incentive was a fuel voucher.

Always keen to try anything different, I agreed. I didn’t think it was bad, quite nice even. It was small tactile things that let it down for me. Like interior door release handles that felt like they’d snap if used in anger and keys which felt small and shitty compared to all other makes. Drove some great stuff back then!

14 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Back in 1994 I think, the utilities company I worked for had a Montego Countryman TD estate leant for a month by Rover as a demonstrator.

The day before it was to be returned, the lease fleet manager realised it hadn’t been driven at all and would go back with zero additional miles on the clock. She rang me and asked if I’d take it for the night and try and put some miles on it. Incentive was a fuel voucher.

Always keen to try anything different, I agreed. I didn’t think it was bad, quite nice even. It was small tactile things that let it down for me. Like interior door release handles that felt like they’d snap if used in anger and keys which felt small and shitty compared to all other makes. Drove some great stuff back then!

Well I had a Mondeo 1.8TD and a Laguna 1.9 dti. at the time. Both were much better than the Montego.

52 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Well I had a Mondeo 1.8TD and a Laguna 1.9 dti. at the time. Both were much better than the Montego.

I drove them too when new. I agree, they were better, just didn’t think the Montego that bad apart from what I said before. Oh and the rattles… Took a Montego 1.6L from Reading to Glasgow and back. Went well, performance was ok although range seemed below par but Mrs W had feet on dash most of the way to stop it rattling😂 Must have been about 1991, car was H reg and beige!Was stuck with it for about 6 months before I got back in a Sierra 2.0GLS. Loved that!

1 hour ago, Metal Guru said:

No shit Sherlock, two cars introduced in 1993 were better than one from 1984. I’m a fully fledged Montego apologist that chose to have a 2.0 Gti estate then a2.0 TD Countryman as company cars in the 90’s, I was fully aware thatMondeos , 405s , Primeras and Xantias were better cars , but as a family car they couldn’t be beaten. I’ve since owned so many , a lot rented out as cabs , that I can’t actually remember how many I’ve had.

In the mid 90’s I’d always choose a Montego over a Cavalier or Sierra to buy in auction for resale because there were never any hidden problems, a good clean, wob up the arches and sills, quick rattle can of Hurricane Grey on the bottom half and an easy £2-300 profit in the paper that weekend. It helped that for any given price you could get a 2 year newer one. The people that bought them were always straightforward, sensible types wanting a roomy reliable workhorse, I kept a stock of towbar s and on more than one occasion fitted one on my drive whilst my Mrs was counting the tenners and doing the paperwork, very popular as caravan tugs.