eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

8 hours ago, neil1971 said:

Fair enough, I'm certainly no expert but there doesn't look to be much 1973 Range Rover left in that apart from the plate!

A friend of mine had a 1976 RR that the previous owner replaced the body in the 90s with a later classic body. While he was there he chucked a 6.2 v8 GM Diesel engine in it. It was a beast. But because the Range Rover/discovery are so interchangeable over the years. 

14 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

It's common for 1970s Ranger Rovers to have been reshelled with later bodywork.

That's true (although I highly doubt it's what has happened in this case...), but if it has a later body, a later interior and a later engine, then presumably it doesn't meet the DVLA criteria for retaining its original identity?

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

but if it has a later body, a later interior and a later engine, then presumably it doesn't meet the DVLA criteria for retaining its original identity?

Probably but I'm betting they've not been told.

If it's historically registered no one knows nor is there anyone looking.  Unless it's involved in an accident and the cops look over it forensically. 

36 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

That's true (although I highly doubt it's what has happened in this case...), but if it has a later body, a later interior and a later engine, then presumably it doesn't meet the DVLA criteria for retaining its original identity?

being a separate chassis the body does not come into it at all on the DVLA points system, the later engine would remove some points, but as long as it still has both its original axles or steering system then its still legal

hell in theory you could just remove the body entirely and as long as you have the correct lights bolted onto something, your free to run about like your moonlighting as a 1970's bus chassis delivery driver LOL

(I mean you might fall fowl of something to do with sharp edges but whatever LOL) so what ya stick on top of said chassis, is of little consequence 

so in theory one could re-fit/re-body a 1970's Range Rover with the body and some of the running gear from a 1990's vogue without falling fowl of any DVLA rules

but yeah thats a ringer if I ever saw one, I mean the cheap and nasty silver on black plates says it all LOL

the amount of vehicles I have seen messed with just to get them into historic vehicle taxation class/MOT exempt is sad, all that just to save a few bucks, and a lot of them was made redundant anyways when the 40 year rolling exemption came in

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

being a separate chassis the body does not come into it at all on the DVLA points system, the later engine would remove some points, but as long as it still has both its original axles or steering system then its still legal

hell in theory you could just remove the body entirely and as long as you have the correct lights bolted onto something, your free to run about like your moonlighting as a 1970's bus chassis delivery driver LOL

(I mean you might fall fowl of something to do with sharp edges but whatever LOL) so what ya stick on top of said chassis, is of little consequence 

so in theory one could re-fit/re-body a 1970's Range Rover with the body and some of the running gear from a 1990's vogue without falling fowl of any DVLA rules

but yeah thats a ringer if I ever saw one, I mean the cheap and nasty silver on black plates says it all LOL

the amount of vehicles I have seen messed with just to get them into historic vehicle taxation class/MOT exempt is sad, all that just to save a few bucks, and a lot of them was made redundant anyways when the 40 year rolling exemption came in

Exactly that. 

The chassis number stays with the chassis. Regardless of if it’s been replaced with a brand new sparkly galvanised one 🤣

8 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I've heard of Minis being ringed with pre-1973 VIN plates when that was the limit of the tax free age.

Thought I was seeing things when I saw a Mk1 Laguna estate followed by a clean Rover 600 drive past me a month or two back. Turns out it was part of a cheap car rally!

B4F1F275-B0B0-4342-A0E0-9BBC184AC5E0.jpeg

The cars now for sale on the Rover 600 Facebook owners page after a trip around Scotland. Price is £750 with a new MOT. If anyone’s interested the page is private but you could probably join the group or I can pass on the owners contact details. 

76D69FD4-1AA4-4CB3-BD76-9C1A3093EAD8.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Merryck said:

I'm trying to get my head around this. I can't tell* if it's a Land Rover chassis or not. If they'd done a better job of shaping the front of the roof into the cab then it might look good. Not £17k good, but good.

*By which I mean how much of it actually is Land Rover

Llama lookalike I presume......unless an original escaped the clutches of LR..

Dunsfold Collection Open Day High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy

1 hour ago, Merryck said:

I'm trying to get my head around this. I can't tell* if it's a Land Rover chassis or not. If they'd done a better job of shaping the front of the roof into the cab then it might look good. Not £17k good, but good.

*By which I mean how much of it actually is Land Rover

That cab looks to be off a Japanese small truck, Mitsubishi/ Fuso ?

15 hours ago, Petrolize said:

Thought I was seeing things when I saw a Mk1 Laguna estate followed by a clean Rover 600 drive past me a month or two back. Turns out it was part of a cheap car rally!

B4F1F275-B0B0-4342-A0E0-9BBC184AC5E0.jpeg

The cars now for sale on the Rover 600 Facebook owners page after a trip around Scotland. Price is £750 with a new MOT. If anyone’s interested the page is private but you could probably join the group or I can pass on the owners contact details. 

76D69FD4-1AA4-4CB3-BD76-9C1A3093EAD8.jpeg

Croydon I see! If anyone want's a remote look at this thing let me know as it's only up the road from me.

2 hours ago, 500tops said:

SE21? why name anything after... I was going to say Penge but I checked and its actually Dulwich