eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

7 hours ago, ProgRocker said:

Cortina mark 3 estate currently up to £6,102.

Image 3 - Ford Cortina Mk3 2.0 Estate complete with a good transferable reg number

phase 1 mark 3 2.0 estate

5 hours ago, cort16 said:

I think it’s the plate driving up the price of this . 

it will be one to watch for sure

because the DVLA have (thankfully) tightened things up with regards to the ability to rob a historic vehicle of its plate

for example regardless of the MOT exemption status of a vehicle with the DVSA, the DVLA require any historic vehicle that is being robbed of its plate to have a current MOT (and imagine if its been laid up for 40 years like the above, also an inspection)

so yeah good luck to the would be plate robbers! although I do wonder if this will magically gain a current MOT about 3 days after the auction ends LOL so yeah, again one to watch...

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

it will be one to watch for sure

because the DVLA have (thankfully) tightened things up with regards to the ability to rob a historic vehicle of its plate

for example regardless of the MOT exemption status of a vehicle with the DVSA, the DVLA require any historic vehicle that is being robbed of its plate to have a current MOT (and imagine if its been laid up for 40 years like the above, also an inspection)

so yeah good luck to the would be plate robbers! although I do wonder if this will magically gain a current MOT about 3 days after the auction ends LOL so yeah, again one to watch...

People say this, but I don't think it makes any difference in reality. We sold a car last year with a valuable plate on it and there was zero chance of it having an MoT without a full restoration, but the plate was taken off straight away and is now on retention. I'm not sure if somebody put a dodgy MoT on it or there is some other loophole in place.

54 minutes ago, barrett said:

People say this, but I don't think it makes any difference in reality. We sold a car last year with a valuable plate on it and there was zero chance of it having an MoT without a full restoration, but the plate was taken off straight away and is now on retention. I'm not sure if somebody put a dodgy MoT on it or there is some other loophole in place.

I think thats because the rules only changed fairly recently, at some point between 2020 and 2022, before then a historic vehicle did not need an MOT, to transfer the plate off a vehicle it only needed to be of a type that required an MOT (so you could not plate rob Tractors, Milk floats and invalid carriages, etc not that the DVLA has actually adhered to that rule about the later *grumble* because people dont read their rules and regulations and realise that an invalid carriage under 306 Kg is not a vehicle type that needs an MOT!)

prior to the rule change all a vehicle had to be was continuously taxed and be of a type that required an MOT, and of course being a historic vehicle thats £NIL rate and you did not have to worry about MOT's either as long as it was of a type that normally would require an MOT it did not matter that it was exempt via age, so it was easy to rob a plate off a vehicle that had not seen the road in 30 years (basically just tax it and that was it)

and as such I saw it lead to a lot vehicles old vehicles (like yours I imagine), which had been laid up for 40 years, just being robbed of their plate and just chucked to one side having any residual value/hope in hell of being saved now robbed from it

so I am pleased to see the DVLA have done something about it, hence why it will be interesting to see what happened with the Ford! good fucking luck there is what I say to the plate robbers!  :) 

On 21/03/2022 at 14:17, LightBulbFun said:

as a side note I noticed the DVLA has updated its number plate transfer policy to specifically state that historic vehicles need an MOT still even if normally exempt

image.png.e74609f466c133680257fcb33a761395.png

if I go back to a web archive of the same page from 2020 its not there

image.png.62904637f320f7a4d836ee5de54a1a83.png

its nice to see the DVLA implement this, as it at least guarantees that a historic vehicle will be made road worthy (unless it gets a bent MOT of course) and stops people from just buying old vehicles just for their plate and punting them on un-restored etc

which was a big gripe of mine, if your going to rob a vehicle of its plate the least you can do is get it road worthy!

1 hour ago, DSdriver said:

I don't follow the Tour de France but it is highly unlikely that they used a RHD DS

It's perhaps not the clearest advert but I don't think they're trying to claim it's an actual TDF vehicle. The history of that car (previously owned by @wuvvum) is well-documented. I think it's just a poorly-worded advert rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

I think thats because the rules only changed fairly recently, at some point between 2020 and 2022, before then a historic vehicle did not need an MOT, to transfer the plate off a vehicle it only needed to be of a type that required an MOT (so you could not plate rob Tractors, Milk floats and invalid carriages, etc not that the DVLA has actually adhered to that rule about the later *grumble* because people dont read their rules and regulations and realise that an invalid carriage under 306 Kg is not a vehicle type that needs an MOT!)

prior to the rule change all a vehicle had to be was continuously taxed and be of a type that required an MOT, and of course being a historic vehicle thats £NIL rate and you did not have to worry about MOT's either as long as it was of a type that normally would require an MOT it did not matter that it was exempt via age, so it was easy to rob a plate off a vehicle that had not seen the road in 30 years (basically just tax it and that was it)

and as such I saw it lead to a lot vehicles old vehicles (like yours I imagine), which had been laid up for 40 years, just being robbed of their plate and just chucked to one side having any residual value/hope in hell of being saved now robbed from it

so I am pleased to see the DVLA have done something about it, hence why it will be interesting to see what happened with the Ford! good fucking luck there is what I say to the plate robbers!  :) 

It was September 2021, which as far as I know was after the rules had changed. I remember being very surprised when I saw it had happened as I knew the rules had been changed to mean the car had to have an MoT. I suspect it just won't/can't be enforced, or else if the plate is valuable enough people will 'get' an MoT one way or another.

Maybe you're the person to ask this question which nobody else seems to know the answer to: when did the VED exemption for historic cars first come in? the 'rolling' exemption was abolished in, I think, 1997, but it had obviously been in place for some years before that. Not an easy piece of information to find - any ideas?

1 hour ago, barrett said:

It was September 2021, which as far as I know was after the rules had changed. I remember being very surprised when I saw it had happened as I knew the rules had been changed to mean the car had to have an MoT. I suspect it just won't/can't be enforced, or else if the plate is valuable enough people will 'get' an MoT one way or another.

checking the web archive of the DVLA shows the requirement for an MOT  was only put in at some point after the 6th of October 2021, so if it happened in September then it sadly manage to just squeak in on the old rule set

https://web.archive.org/web/20211006140547/https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/take-private-number-off

Maybe you're the person to ask this question which nobody else seems to know the answer to: when did the VED exemption for historic cars first come in? the 'rolling' exemption was abolished in, I think, 1997, but it had obviously been in place for some years before that. Not an easy piece of information to find - any ideas?

funnily enough I was wondering that myself a while back, from a parliamentary PDF I found while doing DVLA research, TL;DR it looks like the "HISTORIC VEHICLE" taxation class we know and love today was first introduced in 1995

image.thumb.png.830daddc1469e3bcd53f69f8a35da5aa.png

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01482/SN01482.pdf

its a really quite good PDF I recommend reading if you are interested in learning more about the history of VED 

(also Finally my time of endless DVLA research and trawling through PDFs and other such stuff has paid off on something LOL)

2 minutes ago, Flat4 said:

I'm heading South again at the weekend if you want it moved in your direction ;)

That's a very kind offer, and doesn't help my situation of trying to not buy any more cars when I barely have the space for the ones I do have 😅

I wouldn't feel like subjecting a series of shiters to the mercy of a cheap unknown K-Series on a 500 mile journey! If it fucked itself I'd want to be the one dealing with the hassle as I'd feel awful otherwise if it ruined someone's day! 

It's perhaps not the clearest advert but I don't think they're trying to claim it's an actual TDF vehicle. The history of that car (previously owned by @wuvvum) is well-documented. I think it's just a poorly-worded advert rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead.

I thought the plate was familiar!

19 hours ago, Braddon81 said:

It will snapped up very quickly - it's a very  straight low milage Sunbeam shell that needs minor work - its value is in its huge potential as a historic rally car base rather than it being a plain Jane Sunbeam 1.0. The car is being sold in North Wales - they fully know what and how the car will be used.  5k is pretty reasonable these days for a low milage Sunbeam for the rally boys.

images (12).jpeg

What I feared, are there any original examples left? Want to snap up an unmolestered Ti if possible