eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

20 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

Amen. When i’m President my first decree shall be that anyone (including marketing people at car companies) referring to a two-door saloon as a coupe will be placed on a register and forced to wear a metre tall, luminous yellow dunce cone on their stupid fucking head whenever they are in public. They will be barred from taking paid employment and / or receiving any form of state or charitable aid. 

Similar sanctions will be placed upon anyone referring to an estate car as a shooting brake or a longroof. In the latter case, they will also be required to shave their hair off and have the word CUNT tattooed on their stupid fucking head in case their dunce hat falls off. 

Ah, and what will we do with the people who come up with four-door suv "coupes"?

1 hour ago, Rod/b said:

Similar sanctions will be placed upon anyone referring to an estate car as a shooting brake or a longroof. In the latter case, they will also be required to shave their hair off and have the word CUNT tattooed on their stupid fucking head in case their dunce hat falls off. 

Surely calling it an estate car is just as disingenuous?

2 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Amen. When i’m President my first decree shall be that anyone (including marketing people at car companies) referring to a two-door saloon as a coupe will be placed on a register and forced to wear a metre tall, luminous yellow dunce cone on their stupid fucking head whenever they are in public. They will be barred from taking paid employment and / or receiving any form of state or charitable aid. 

Whilst I agree with your comments on calling a 2 door a Coupe and worse still an estate a longroof,  I take issue with your comment on shooting brakes.  Especially as I have one in my custody. Cortina’s, Granada’s, Volvo’s and Mercedes are all estates, no question in my view but old coach built vehicles were marketed as shooting brakes so that is what they are. This does lead into a grey area where poncey manufacturers have started giving their cars silly names such a ‘Touring’  and worse still ‘Sports Wagon’ but in general I believe that the original sales brochure is the Bible in these matters, A 5 series BMW Touring though is still an estate to me 😀

1 hour ago, Shite Ron said:

Whilst I agree with your comments on calling a 2 door a Coupe and worse still an estate a longroof,  I take issue with your comment on shooting brakes.  Especially as I have one in my custody. Cortina’s, Granada’s, Volvo’s and Mercedes are all estates, no question in my view but old coach built vehicles were marketed as shooting brakes so that is what they are. This does lead into a grey area where poncey manufacturers have started giving their cars silly names such a ‘Touring’  and worse still ‘Sports Wagon’ but in general I believe that the original sales brochure is the Bible in these matters, A 5 series BMW Touring though is still an estate to me 😀

Totally agree with this, apart from the Touring bit. We've got one 😉.  To be fair, BMW have called them Touring for years so it's not just to appeal to the large earring and tattoo brigade. 

Where the hell did 'longroof' come from though? 

4 minutes ago, barrett said:

VW estates were Longroofs in the 60s, but I think only in America. I'm sure you can join the dots from 'VW' to 'Overused, annoying, unsophisticated' etc

I’m absolutely with you on the second part of that, but the VW estate in the ‘60s was called the Station Wagon, or Wagon.  The others were Fastback and Squareback, sometimes Notchback.

In the UK they were called the Variant, in case I can delude myself into believing you were interested 😀

3 minutes ago, garethj said:

I’m absolutely with you on the second part of that, but the VW estate in the ‘60s was called the Station Wagon, or Wagon.  The others were Fastback and Squareback, sometimes Notchback.

In the UK they were called the Variant, in case I can delude myself into believing you were interested 😀

oh yeah, I was thinking of Squareback. Squareback was the wagon, Notchback was the saloon. Did they really sell it as a 'Wagon' as well or is that just colloquial?

Dunno wtf I'm talking about Longroof then, that's just a general American colloquial word for station wagon. Please feel free to ignore anything else I say in future, I'm clearly just talking shit most of the time. (apart from the bit about Squareback being the estate)

1 minute ago, barrett said:

oh yeah, I was thinking of Squareback. Squareback was the wagon, Notchback was the saloon. Did they really sell it as a 'Wagon' as well or is that just colloquial?

I’m sure it’s called Wagon in some of the advertising but their advertising agency, Doyle Dane Bernbach, had a pretty relaxed style.

23 minutes ago, cort16 said:

There's a similarly tacky C coupe near me - white bonnet stripe, window stickers, chrome piping etc. 

Got me wondering if there is a specific thread for 'polished turds' or whether we just stick them in 'Spotted' thread?

1 hour ago, LT84 said:

Its back. It was up for sale on ebay for £1200 then made its way down too £600 as the weeks went on. Someone on here suspects it has a failing head gasket. 

4 minutes ago, Yoss said:

My old skoda brochures call the Favorit and Felicia estates a Combi.  That's never seemed to catch on over here.  We get lots of Americanisms but very few Europeanisms. 

The Mk1 Fabia (and I believe others too) were called the Combi in the 05 Brochure I have. The Fabia saloon (oh what a charming in an ugly sort of way thing that was) was referred to as the 'sedan'. The latter being something I'd associate as an 'Americanism'. :)

8 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Can I add calling a Land Rover a 'Jeep' or a 'Truck' to the list. Just call it what it is and you will probably get more money for it.

3 hours ago, grogee said:

There's a similarly tacky C coupe near me - white bonnet stripe, window stickers, chrome piping etc. 

Got me wondering if there is a specific thread for 'polished turds' or whether we just stick them in 'Spotted' thread?

Those white wall tyre things that get fitted into the tyre are the absolute worst. At least the Chrome arches can be used to cover wobbed up body work.

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

The Mk1 Fabia (and I believe others too) were called the Combi in the 05 Brochure I have. The Fabia saloon (oh what a charming in an ugly sort of way thing that was) was referred to as the 'sedan'. The latter being something I'd associate as an 'Americanism'. :)

Combi I don't mind too much. Maybe it's because I appreciated the Skoda money-save of carrying over hatchback tailgate onto estate thereby saving tooling costs for a separate tailgate. 

Then they got all tied up in knots and produced the Superb MK2, which was a saloon and a hatchback at the same time.

I still don't know what niche that was trying to fill, but it's certainly novel. 

On 12/19/2021 at 3:36 PM, DVee8 said:

HFM?!? Hopefully rectifying the stupid lowering which is ruining the rear camber won't be too pricey

On 12/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, DVee8 said:

How has this acquired an SVA with open wheels? I thought that was a big no-no

On 12/19/2021 at 3:41 PM, DVee8 said:

HFM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? It's my favourite Type R, but geez...