eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

16 minutes ago, grogee said:

On the plus side, it still looks like one of the baddies' spaceships from Battlestar Galactica. Definitely* has a spot in my dream (deranged) fantasy 20 car garage. 

They are brilliant cars, and if you get the 2.0 or uncatalysed 1.7, really quite rorty too. This one looks like it could be trouble tho...

2 hours ago, moosemansjukebox said:

Left hand drive City Rover, didn't even know these existed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185172368331

That is going to be a Longbridge escapee. The original CityRover press fleet were all registered BU53 xxx. 

There was certainly the desire to sell the revised Mk2 version in Europe, so I can imagine they had that aspiration originally before they knew it was going to flop. 

7 hours ago, Austin-Rover said:

That is going to be a Longbridge escapee. The original CityRover press fleet were all registered BU53 xxx. 

There was certainly the desire to sell the revised Mk2 version in Europe, so I can imagine they had that aspiration originally before they knew it was going to flop. 

Absolutely  fascinating  motoring curiosity. How many LHD's did the Phoenix 4 make? 7k miles and registered - so was it a factory test car/mule/press vehicle?

No V5 - would this have come straight  from the receivers?

Were these really so bad? Or overhyped for something  that should have been sold as being cheap and cheerful.

I wonder if Gaydon have one in their collection. 

Notwithstanding it's origins it is the last 'BMC' small car in a venerable line stretching back to the original 1923 Austin 7.

10 hours ago, moosemansjukebox said:

Image 5 - LEFT HAND DRIVE ROVER CITYROVER SELECT ULTRA LOW MILES 7K SPARES OR REPAIR UK

Let's hope someone on here snaps that up as it appears to be a unique example. Does the dashboard tend to degrade on these? It looks a bit crumbly in the photos - I wonder if it's made of a lesser quality plastic as it's potentially a  prototype? 

The seller seems bizarre too - check out their other listing of  Ferrari 360 exhaust as they've upgraded to a sports version. Oh, they've also got their £12.5k 2 YXJ registration for sale too. 

12 hours ago, grogee said:

Opel Ponzi, auction starts at £1k but might reach 5 figures at a guess. Digital dash probably doubles the price.

It does have a very comprehensive description but I don't think much of this:

"it does look sound underneath too, floorpan etc - we have had it on a ramp, just didn't have a phone to take pics"

Screenshot_20211119-212253.png

Screenshot_20211119-212853.png

EDIT: Forgot link. Curiously the start price is now £500,000.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Monza-GSE-V-Low-Mileage-60-622-Genuine-Miles-Not-Barn-Find-More-Project-/125007777441?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

As an ex GS/E owner I'd love another but christ they know  how to rot, mine had new strut turrets professionally welded in at 9 years old...... This is the Ebay auction car, not mine.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

1 hour ago, KitKat said:

Admittedly I’m not sure what I’m looking at with Audi’s, I’m not into German cars, but any good @MisterH?

Not a Quattro though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265414081888

643F5AB0-5239-49A5-8A6D-F40DC3050C37.thumb.jpeg.5b64ffd494fabea00e8ff03d7bb8cbfc.jpeg

It isn't a quattro, but it is a sport which makes more sense logically. I have already fired off a couple of questions, it is in my favourite colour, and looked like this at one stage:

1986 Audi 80 1.8 Sport | Previously spotted by Sam 'sallanfi… | Flickr

All being well I would like to view it, just hope he hasn't been stupid with the reserve 

2 hours ago, lesapandre said:

...Were these really so bad? Or overhyped for something  that should have been sold as being cheap and cheerful....

Not so much overhyped as overpriced. As far as I understand it, retail price was about £1500 to £2000 too high.

If it had been marketed at, say, £4500 to £5000, they might have had a strong seller, since "everyone" could have one and it might have made a plausible starter car for younger drivers. At £4500 to £5000 you wouldn't be too worried about Indian build quality* (shite at best) either. 

Instead, MG Rover went after a higher profit margin at about seven grand. In some senses, they were caught between a rock and a hard place as they needed the profit to pay towards the next new Rover design. They gambled on the last throw of the dice; they lost.

Just now, lesapandre said:

I saw these new on a 'roadshow' event at a motorway services. They seemed credible and attracted a buzz of people.

Given the choice between a ShittyRover and a G-Swiz (another terrible Indian product with zero crash test resistance), which would you have chosen?

13 hours ago, moosemansjukebox said:

Image 5 - LEFT HAND DRIVE ROVER CITYROVER SELECT ULTRA LOW MILES 7K SPARES OR REPAIR UK

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Let's hope someone on here snaps that up as it appears to be a unique example. Does the dashboard tend to degrade on these? It looks a bit crumbly in the photos - I wonder if it's made of a lesser quality plastic as it's potentially a  prototype? 

The seller seems bizarre too - check out their other listing of  Ferrari 360 exhaust as they've upgraded to a sports version. Oh, they've also got their £12.5k 2 YXJ registration for sale too. 

For the benefit* of people on here, I enquired about this old snotter. I reckon it's been stored indoors for most of those eleven years personally. Fascinating little thing! 

Screenshot_20211120-115139_eBay.jpg

32 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Given the choice between a ShittyRover and a G-Swiz (another terrible Indian product with zero crash test resistance), which would you have chosen?

The Rover. I'd have one but I'm all 'carred up'.

Adequate crash protection just encourages  bad driving.. 

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Absolutely  fascinating  motoring curiosity. How many LHD's did the Phoenix 4 make? 7k miles and registered - so was it a factory test car/mule/press vehicle?

No V5 - would this have come straight  from the receivers?

Were these really so bad? Or overhyped for something  that should have been sold as being cheap and cheerful.

I wonder if Gaydon have one in their collection. 

Notwithstanding it's origins it is the last 'BMC' small car in a venerable line stretching back to the original 1923 Austin 7.

In 2004 I worked at a supplier that made wiring harnesses. @MrBiscuits and I went to Longbridge to meet with the engineer to discuss what was required. 

They were so desperate that the reception area was turned into a showroom, in the hope you'd accidentally buy one while waiting to do business. 

We sat in a City Rover and it smelled of wet dog. I'm amazed they let anything smelling so awful near any potential customers. 

In the end I don't think we did business with MG Rover. As a grunt my opinion didn't count but I remember thinking we may well not get paid, because the company was in such a state. Maybe top brass agreed with me. 

As regards LHD - yes the dash may well be poorer quality materials for a prototype, and AFAIK Tata didn't make an LHD version so this would have been all Rover's own work. An early dash assembly to check the mould and finished dimensions. It does beg the question how the PAS rack and system was arranged though, I wonder if there was a suitable donor? Same for brake servo, pedals etc.