eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

3 hours ago, Dr_Slow said:

Am I totally out of touch, or is the opening bid around the price a tidy looking (but MoT-less) Estelle goes for these days?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.78d11096b6efb1a89df2ac200851387b.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194229409027?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l264

They are going a bit silly now . tatty useable/light projects seem to be £1200-£1600 now, but that said I would want it to be mint for £3k 

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

This is a nice colour.

s-l1600.jpg

Hmmm - registered November 2003, mileage at first MOT in Dec 2006 was 141,678. Second MOT in Feb 2007(!) it was only 77,050. 20 bids took it to just shy of £1,400.

Does look nice, though.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:20 PM, garethj said:

I was just about to post that!

I loved driving my old one.  Here’s a taster, although the bloke at the wheel is one of the factory racing drivers, your skill level may not match 😀

Brilliant bit of 1962 period (and earlier) nostalgia :

-        -  no seatbelts (neither did my first 1963 Mini – I was to wish later that it did have belts and if it did that I would have been wearing them when I had a big head-on)

-     -     Suicide front doors on the Police vehicles

-  -        Bikes sounding like period Triumphs and even have the nacelle over the headlight and handlebars (think Triumph 3TA)

-    -      Audrey Hepburn in the front seat

-  -        an Erik (Mr Saab) Carlsson “Carlsson on the roof” moment with no apparent damage to the roof visible immediately afterwards. Mr Carlsson's mechanics would have been very very impressed with that feat.

Have I missed any others?

Just now, Ford Prefect said:

Have I missed any others?

There’s the throwing it around on the highway and then letting go of the steering wheel, the fact that he never stops it sliding on those cobbled streets and using the message of “this car is fast enough to outrun the police” as an advertising line.

2 hours ago, meggersdog said:

That's absolutely class. I wish it was a hatchback though. Did they ever do those? I'd like to put in a duractec in it or something and daily its little heart out. 

9 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

That's absolutely class. I wish it was a hatchback though. Did they ever do those? I'd like to put in a duractec in it or something and daily its little heart out. 

No, the boot is quite big but the boot lid is really small so packing luggage in is rather like building a ship in a bottle

16 minutes ago, garethj said:

There’s the throwing it around on the highway and then letting go of the steering wheel, the fact that he never stops it sliding on those cobbled streets and using the message of “this car is fast enough to outrun the police” as an advertising line.

Plus the general cross country capabilities and driving through a river. And the four bounces of the front suspension as it comes to a halt around 9:50.

4 hours ago, meggersdog said:

Had mine a few years ago, pre Volvo, great car but rotten interior, got 1500 quid which was pretty good given that it needed a respray (but it was the only one I had seen sold with an MOT)

1 hour ago, garethj said:

No, the boot is quite big but the boot lid is really small so packing luggage in is rather like building a ship in a bottle

We had to pick up a heavy mould tool that a friend had made for us and after some wrestling we were able to get it in the boot and carried down to Soton quite happily, it is almost cavernous in there, just got to get it over the lip 

Even drivers of the new electric Citroen Ami will look down on you.

image.thumb.png.7b9de07c9f90a63d50496928b54e5262.png

When these came out, a friend was working in an instrumentation lab and for the crash test they didn’t want to use the expensive crash test dummies which are packed full of sensors.

Instead they put in a simple, weighted dummy and doing it old school, put some red paint on the head, hands and knees so they could see the impact areas after the crash.

They sent it down the track, waited for the bang and went to inspect the damage.  When they opened the door it was apparently like a 2 year old’s painting inside the car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294264527058

15 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Be like @Angrydicky, but a few years later and a bit faster; more 1950s BMC porridge. 1600 BINs to save it from the Stan Woods cup, in Brentwood.

214389920_2034203493397480_4002670704949

That sat in a barn outside Colchester for years with smashed glass (and all its seats) . I recall taking a look in 2009 and making an offer to the land owner but he didn't want to take responsibility for it. 28000 miles on the poor thing then and a tax disc from 1984 in the remains of the windscreen. A common enough refrain but that's much too solid to waste on the track.