eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

This could be a great car with a bit of work but any link to a certain TV program when at its worst is not endearing me:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255045081554?hash=item3b61df19d2:g:NMIAAOSw9Ehg5b1n
image.thumb.jpeg.055f6893b2330f4f2176a6ff2a6a0d07.jpeg
driven by Richard Hammond on Top Gear
image.jpeg.f8c15c4569b40a370dbfd6a057ed9c8f.jpeg

image.jpeg.002048e3b0b9b6683d7978f915d2e6e4.jpeg
Yes that F**kwit!

I wouldn’t bid too much, hardly one careful owner.

45 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

This could be a great car with a bit of work but any link to a certain TV program when at its worst is not endearing me:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255045081554?hash=item3b61df19d2:g:NMIAAOSw9Ehg5b1n
image.thumb.jpeg.055f6893b2330f4f2176a6ff2a6a0d07.jpeg
driven by Richard Hammond on Top Gear
image.jpeg.f8c15c4569b40a370dbfd6a057ed9c8f.jpeg

image.jpeg.002048e3b0b9b6683d7978f915d2e6e4.jpeg
Yes that F**kwit!

I wouldn’t bid too much, hardly one careful owner.

I know this one was owned by Keith Adams, he did an article in CCW about it a couple weeks back, I think this one was used as part of a celebration of the Rover V8 

23 hours ago, garethj said:

I was just about to post that!

I loved driving my old one.  Here’s a taster, although the bloke at the wheel is one of the factory racing drivers, your skill level may not match 😀

This is the best thing on the whole of the internet. Without exception. I have watched it so many times I find myself whistling the main tune at work. Internally anyway, I'm not one of those postmen from the 1950s that goes round happily whistling. 

If you can't spare 12 minutes of your life, go to about 10.20. Many car ads in recent years have done similar things with CGI (Nissan Squashy springs to mind) but nobody has ever done this with the real thing. 

I also find it slightly ironic that they make this fancy publicity film (it's more than an advert) and yet in reality you couldn't buy one. They were generally just issued to various Communist Party hierarchy. And I love all the vivid colours in the showroom when 99 percent of them were black. 

I urge you to watch this, it will change your life. If nothing else, you'll have that tune stuck in your head for evermore. 

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

This is the best thing on the whole of the internet. Without exception. I have watched it so many times I find myself whistling the main tune at work...... If nothing else, you'll have that tune stuck in your head for evermore. 

Very "big band" 1950s music - the sort of thing you'd hear at evening concerts. Amusing that the Communists sanctioned music that was unmistakably American in feel.

I watched that Tatra film yesterday with the sound off, which is my default, but having read your comment above,  I watched again with it on.  Oh you are so right!  I can see how the tune could get into the head of a viewer.

10 hours ago, Yoss said:

This is the best thing on the whole of the internet. Without exception. I have watched it so many times I find myself whistling the main tune at work. Internally anyway, I'm not one of those postmen from the 1950s that goes round happily whistling. 

If you can't spare 12 minutes of your life, go to about 10.20. Many car ads in recent years have done similar things with CGI (Nissan Squashy springs to mind) but nobody has ever done this with the real thing. 

I also find it slightly ironic that they make this fancy publicity film (it's more than an advert) and yet in reality you couldn't buy one. They were generally just issued to various Communist Party hierarchy. And I love all the vivid colours in the showroom when 99 percent of them were black. 

I urge you to watch this, it will change your life. If nothing else, you'll have that tune stuck in your head for evermore. 

As I mentioned, the bloke at the wheel can drive a bit, he was Jaroslav Pavelka, the factory racing driver.

image.jpeg.8dadea743e49d78517df2c47cea18e2c.jpeg

Factory racing driver?  The Tatra is clearly no Lotus 7 but there are events where the emphasis is other than 0-60 time.  We all know that the 24 hours of LeMans is a gruelling race, but in the 1960s Tatra did well in the 84 hours at the Nurburgring.  Yes, that Nurburgring where doing 3 laps without killing yourself is a major achievement.

We see most of the cars in black now, but in racing events they had brighter colours, here you can see the different positions of the racing stripe so the teams can easily tell the cars apart

image.jpeg.b8cb35e1773e7af7f50c277f16ad82a2.jpeg

The car in the top photo is an early one (603-1) with 3 headlamps behind a clear cover.  The ones above are 603-2 with 4 narrow headlamps and the 603-3 had them set wider apart.  Most 603s have the wider front as cars were regularly returned to the factory and upgraded to the later spec.

My 603 was built in 1964 but was taken back to the factory in 1971 and given the wider front end, however it kept the brakes as original and the electrics too, it really was pot luck what was done to each car

Such a shame so many were modernised - the '1' is the nicest of all 603s and there are, what, a dozen or less in the world? My friend went to the trouble of finding a rusty '1' and cutting the entire front end off and welding it to his '2' because he couldn't find a nice one for sale (this was 25 years ago). The car looks great admittedly and only a Tatra nerd would realise all isn't what it seems...

Del603x.JPG.8f16416f9b7465524765c68f065e5531.JPG

Curiosity may get the better of my bidding finger with this (it is in the same county as me after all):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313595506395

There was no such thing as a 1.3 Montego estate (only saloons), yet this is advertised as such and recorded as such with DVLA.  Last MOT (in 2010) showed 280,000 miles so maybe a tired 1.6 has been replaced...

Image 01 - Austin Montego Estate 1.3 1 owner Classic Vintage Barn Find

3 hours ago, BeEP said:

Curiosity may get the better of my bidding finger with this (it is in the same county as me after all):

There was no such thing as a 1.3 Montego estate (only saloons), yet this is advertised as such and recorded as such with DVLA.  Last MOT (in 2010) showed 280,000 miles so maybe a tired 1.6 has been replaced...

It's about 10 minutes from me.  I might have to go and have a look, see what does actually lurk under the bonnet.  I would imagine an A-series-powered Montego estate to be a fairly miserable experience - even the saloons were rather underpowered.

Be like @Angrydicky, but a few years later and a bit faster; more 1950s BMC porridge. 1600 BINs to save it from the Stan Woods cup, in Brentwood.

214389920_2034203493397480_4002670704949

Austin a90 1955 project 6 cylinder engine Colum change Manuel gearbox The car is rot free, sills etc are very good. Interior will need doing, is missing the back seat and rear bumper Engine runs sweet, has a current v5 Needs full restoration £1600 Brentwood Essex based

3 hours ago, BeEP said:

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's about 10 minutes from me.  I might have to go and have a look, see what does actually lurk under the bonnet.  I would imagine an A-series-powered Montego estate to be a fairly miserable experience - even the saloons were rather underpowered.

Wow I didn't know the Montego came in A-series flavour! Now I NEED to see under the bonnet, there must be so much space! 

1 minute ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Wow I didn't know the Montego came in A-series flavour! Now I NEED to see under the bonnet, there must be so much space! 

I remember looking over a 1.3 Montego (saloon) at a classic auction a few years back.  My mate who I was with described the engine as looking "like a pimple on a pig's arse".

8 hours ago, garethj said:

As I mentioned, the bloke at the wheel can drive a bit, he was Jaroslav Pavelka, the factory racing driver.

image.jpeg.8dadea743e49d78517df2c47cea18e2c.jpeg

Factory racing driver?  The Tatra is clearly no Lotus 7 but there are events where the emphasis is other than 0-60 time.  We all know that the 24 hours of LeMans is a gruelling race, but in the 1960s Tatra did well in the 84 hours at the Nurburgring.  Yes, that Nurburgring where doing 3 laps without killing yourself is a major achievement.

We see most of the cars in black now, but in racing events they had brighter colours, here you can see the different positions of the racing stripe so the teams can easily tell the cars apart

image.jpeg.b8cb35e1773e7af7f50c277f16ad82a2.jpeg

The car in the top photo is an early one (603-1) with 3 headlamps behind a clear cover.  The ones above are 603-2 with 4 narrow headlamps and the 603-3 had them set wider apart.  Most 603s have the wider front as cars were regularly returned to the factory and upgraded to the later spec.

My 603 was built in 1964 but was taken back to the factory in 1971 and given the wider front end, however it kept the brakes as original and the electrics too, it really was pot luck what was done to each car

Dare I ask - do you have a thread? I'd love to see the ins and outs of a 603 from a modern owner's perspective. Warts and all

54 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Dare I ask - do you have a thread? I'd love to see the ins and outs of a 603 from a modern owner's perspective. Warts and all

I don’t, unfortunately.  It was a long time ago and I don’t have many photos so it would be pretty tedious.

But commuting 70 miles a day in a car that’s built to be serviced with no expense spared, is a recipe for disaster.  Having said that I kept it for about 5 years which is 4 years longer than I keep other cars so it was definitely good to drive

22 minutes ago, garethj said:

I don’t, unfortunately.  It was a long time ago and I don’t have many photos so it would be pretty tedious.

But commuting 70 miles a day in a car that’s built to be serviced with no expense spared, is a recipe for disaster.  Having said that I kept it for about 5 years which is 4 years longer than I keep other cars so it was definitely good to drive

I am very impressed. Hat duly doffed.