eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

1 hour ago, barrett said:

Don't ask me why, Reg, but I'm not sure I can continue to live in this world without this shitty old piece of grey porridge

s-l1600.jpg

Like, I'm on the verge of phoning my bank and seeing if they'll loan me £3k. WTF is wrong with me? That reg though! And everything else about it. FFFFFFFUUUU

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194128142566

That doesn't sound a bad deal really. Nice to see one which appears still to have some metal left at the tops of the rear wings and hasn't been platebottied. 

2 hours ago, MisterH said:

Were they a rare case of a car actually being awful then? I unfortunately have never had the pleasure* of growing up with them around 

I couldn't say if the whole car was awful - but the sound of tappets from the engine meant you could identify one coming towards you from 400 yards away.

16 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Sporty.

s-l1600.jpg

Also gets 20 mph more than normal R8s on the speedo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265154411031?hash=item3dbc6f3a17:g:6EUAAOSwXgJgmB9p

When these were new, the company I worked for had loads of R8s, I’d often jump into one and thrash it around , but could never work out from the badge on the back how quick it would be .  Even these Gti’s could be a lottery, but there were a couple in this spec badged as Twin Cam that were proper rapid, felt quicker than the 420’s we had because they revved forever.

It must have been the pick of the bunch because John Towers’ wife worked for us and she specced a bright red416 GTi  Twin Cam with full leather as her company car even though she could have had a 3 Series or 800. Presumably he pointed her in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

When these were new, the company I worked for had loads of R8s, I’d often jump into one and thrash it around , but could never work out from the badge on the back how quick it would be .  Even these Gti’s could be a lottery, but there were a couple in this spec badged as Twin Cam that were proper rapid, felt quicker than the 420’s we had because they revved forever.

It must have been the pick of the bunch because John Towers’ wife worked for us and she specced a bright red416 GTi  Twin Cam with full leather as her company car even though she could have had a 3 Series or 800. Presumably he pointed her in the right direction.

I must say having driven our 220GSi Twin cam it is a really impressive car, a bit crashy though and the steering is wayyy too light

5 hours ago, R1152 said:

I couldn't say if the whole car was awful - but the sound of tappets from the engine meant you could identify one coming towards you from 400 yards away.

They're much maligned. My father owned one and he liked it that much that he went on to stick to the brand and bought two Horizons in succession. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Have you saved it yet?

Unfortunately, while I am many things, I have yet to invent a Tardis, which I am sure everyone agrees is the no.1 thing on a Shiters need list. At the moment I only have outside space, and that Alpine would, rather fittingly, become swiss cheese in no time! 🤣

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

They're much misaligned. My father owned one and he liked it that much that he went on to stick to the brand and bought two Horizons in succession. 

I think you mean they're much maligned although your version amused me and may well also be true. My Dad had an Alpine too and must have liked it enough for his next car (and the first I can remember) being a metallic blue Horizon 1.3. EVW310Y never put a foot wrong but I can still recall that noise 34 years after it was traded in. The new 309 1.6 Sr  he replaced it with was SO FUCKING QUIET.. 

Edit: Hadn't noticed Barrett beat me to it!