eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

@SiC Just my twopenneth...

I had a 1982 520i and for various reasons (impending mortgage, looming bills - clutch and welding etc) I got rid of it. And 20 years on, it's one of only 2 or 3 cars I really wish I'd kept. And that includes a 1275GT.

Horses for courses and all that, but the Mini was a real laugh and all that but it was also capable of rusting-while-you-wait, and having to take the bonnet off for any routine maintainence became a ballache, as opposed to the headache if I'd left it on. I WAS determined to run it on a budget, time and moneywise as I had a lot of things going on, but it exhausted my time, wallet and enthusiasm pretty quickly. Made a "Wheeler Dealers" type profit when I sold it (ie not accounting for my time). Would I have another? Yes, with the proviso that I'd be able to afford a decent one, it would have to be a 2nd or 3rd car, and I'd be able to afford to pay someone else to take care of it.

The Beemer.... I bought it out of "Loot" for £not much and spent NOTHING on it in the 18 months I had it. It had faults, yeah, but nothing too horrendous, all filed in the "ignore drawer".  The MoT waqs looming and it had some grot that I couldn't be arsed to fix, and an earthing problem which meant the OSR lamp cluster was like a disco light when I put the indicators on. Looking back, I could have fixed it, but at the time life was in the way.

FAT BLOKE RECCOMENDS: Fix 520i, blat about, GR8 4 DRIFTIN, then decide. Prices are going up, so I don't see how you'd lose.

And have a go in a Mini before you commit OBVS, they're noisy, uncomfortable, bouncy....but a good one is 10feet of grin.

TL:DR fix Bimmer then drive a Mini

36 minutes ago, outlaw118 said:

Would I have another? Yes, with the proviso that I'd be able to afford a decent one, it would have to be a 2nd or 3rd car, and I'd be able to afford to pay someone else to take care of it.

I'm lucky in that I have 3 other moderns I can rely on (A4, Boxster and Clio), so it doesn't have to be a daily driver. Once I'm back in the office, anything that needs doing I can dump it to my local garage and walk into the office from there. Also I don't really need a car for work as I'm WFH at the moment and even when I go back into the office, there is a 45 minute direct bus outside my house into the city.

Essentially, apart from the A4 which is Mrs SiCs, all my cars can be treated as "toys". This brings up a dilemma as when you take out practicality as a factor, it makes it a lot harder to pin down what you want in a car. 

42 minutes ago, outlaw118 said:

FAT BLOKE RECCOMENDS: Fix 520i, blat about, GR8 4 DRIFTIN, then decide. Prices are going up, so I don't see how you'd lose.

And have a go in a Mini before you commit OBVS, they're noisy, uncomfortable, bouncy....but a good one is 10feet of grin.

TL:DR fix Bimmer then drive a Mini

BMW is almost ready. There are things I would like to do still but realistically it's ready for it's MOT. Must book it actually. The drive for the MOT will be my first proper "official" drive in it. 

I've been as a passenger in a Mini but that was a good decade and half ago now. I know a mini is smaller, but I imagine it's probably not too dissimilar to the ado16/1100? Just less smooth a ride, which doesn't bother me as it's probably still going to be better than our A4 S-Line-snapped-spine!

1 hour ago, cort1977 said:

Mercedes SLK320 manual 2001

Mercedes SLK320 manual 2001 | in Kingswells, Aberdeen | Gumtree

I take it this is not quite the bargain it appears to be?  700 quid for a 6 cylinder mercedes seems hard to beat.

Is it bad that before I even saw the link underneath, I could tell from the photo it was Aberdeen just by the harling on the wall?

1 hour ago, Disco Fever said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-480-Turbo-Nothing-more-needs-to-be-said/284258585965?hash=item422f21cd6d:g:HncAAOSwy6Zf-sBz

Volvo 480 Turbo - Nothing more needs to be said!!!

My folks got through 2 ESs and a turbo back in the day and I always had a soft spot for them. Lot of hyperbole in this ad but looks tidy.

https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36343&sid=b94159429dd4fc05d0fc954d35efc599

It has had a good going over by the experts, I would tread carefully with that one (as a Wedge man myself)

5 hours ago, barrett said:

Are you local enough to give it a once-over? I already have a couple of rattle-cans and if only @seth still visited this forum he could probably supply the photo of me doing 'the pose'

In the unlikely event that this is still around on saturday, I could check it out.