eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

3 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

I don't get people like this. In order to make a point, he has alienated the swathes of people (like me) who boycott spiteful, petty xenophobes

I think he's probably just not very bright.

It's a shame he's such an obvious twat, as a lot of his stuff sells for bargain prices - probably for that very reason.

5 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

I don't get people like this. In order to make a point, he has alienated the swathes of people (like me) who boycott spiteful, petty xenophobes

Ironically, I've found lately the most honest, straight, easy to deal with folk have been those who's country of birth  is somewhere in Eastern Europe, no messing and like it used to be with a handshake meaning a handshake not "thanks for that but if one comes up £1 cheaper I'll buy that instead yet still arrange a time to collect yours and just disappear from the face of the earth until you're selling something else again that I'll waste your time with". 

Even had people ask me for petrol money up front if they come and look at the car and its not as described..... But at the very least they want their costs back if they buy it and a lifetime guarantee on all parts and servicing. 

Not sure how £1-3k traders without finance survive these days, must be one of the most thankless professions around. 

16 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Far as I know at one time it was often said only one engine could be running  ( but I don't think there's an actual law your breaking having both powering a vehicle simultaneously) ergo  what about the several twini mokes & minis built by BMC?

From reading reports years ago in a Mini book, the one that almost killed John Cooper on the Kingston By-Pass , had two fuel injected Cooper S engines runninig together. It was estimated he was doing over 100 when the welded up steering arm on the rear subframe broke free causing the car to flip end over end. The story was that when he finally returned to work, he canned the whole project.

Of course that could be urban legend

57 minutes ago, egg said:

£20 an hour rent hire - Sandy, Bedfordshire

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/773953006520738

124230822_5269105283115084_9115203383100

No bench or worktop with a vice. No compressor. No transmission jack. So if you want to get a lot of jobs done you need a sprinter sized van with all the kit. 

People would probably brake or steal the equipment if it was there which is probably why rental ramps don't really exist any more. 

10 minutes ago, Skcat said:

No bench or worktop with a vice. No compressor. No transmission jack. So if you want to get a lot of jobs done you need a sprinter sized van with all the kit. 

People would probably brake or steal the equipment if it was there which is probably why rental ramps don't really exist any more. 

Plus we've all had those "oh xxxx" moments when something is snapped or gone wrong, wrong part (I'm looking at you ecp). 

Leaving a car stuck on a ramp is not fun.

Good idea in principle but in reality doesn't work.

I'd only feel comfortable doing something like an exhaust back box/centre pipe change on a rented ramp.

13 minutes ago, Skcat said:

Guy who originally started our unit share was right up for this fuelled by one of the other members who never really used it. 

I was totally against it as it meant introducing new people into an area with access to a lot of cars /tools /bikes etc that could easily go missing. 

All he could see was £30 an hour for doing nothing. 

I then began to explain things like the insurance side of it, PLI, tool breaks and someone gets blinded etc, car sets the unit on fire and suddenly it doesn't seem like such a good idea. 

I think it's a bit like a rental property, if you leave things in it like washing machines etc and they break, that's your responsibility, whereas if the tennant brings their own, then it's theirs, same would apply to tools and lifting equipment. 

One idea was banded about of a supervised workshop where the owner/mechanic basically sits in the office but you use his tools etc and he gives you a hand /guidance if needed. I think that could work but to make it worthwhile it would really have to be your own workshop otherwise you're paying wages all day for someone to sit there doing very little for little return. 

10/15 years ago that would have been great for the home mechanic to do clutches etc. 

7 minutes ago, Agila said:

Plus we've all had those "oh xxxx" moments when something is snapped or gone wrong, wrong part (I'm looking at you ecp). 

Leaving a car stuck on a ramp is not fun.

Good idea in principle but in reality doesn't work.

I'd only feel comfortable doing something like an exhaust back box/centre pipe change on a rented ramp.

This exact thing happened to me last week, car on the ramp with 3 easy * jobs to do for the mot that in truth shouldn't have been 2 hrs..... 

Spent 8hrs over 2 days doing a track rod end and a pair of cv gaiters due to me being a klutz. At his rates it would have been cheaper to get it done in a proper garage. 

I love having a ramp to work on and don't mind paying a premium for it as its a life saver but luckily I'm not against the clock, all we've asked for is fair play which 99.99% of the time we get. 

18 hours ago, SiC said:

No you didn't. You said...

I've just read through the latest IVA manual and C&U Regs 1986 with subsequent revisions right to 2020. I see zero mention on twin engine, multiple power sources and/or which axles can or can not be powered. Also I see nothing that would even be close to a twin engine vehicle being a problem.

Feel to prove me wrong with hard evidence either with the regs or any court decisions. 

I presaged what I said with "as far as I know" which to me means, "I am led to believe this, but if you know better please feel free to correct me".

You have done the research (taking you at your word) and I stand corrected. Congratulations, you have won the internet today.

The source of my belief on this is, iirc, a Scrapheap Challenge Special, where either one of the contestants or experts mentioned it. Now, whether this "knowledge" was as a result of previous legislation now revised due to impending hybrids, or of the "everyone knows that" urban myth variety such as common law marriage, I just don't know.

Every example of this type of vehicle I've seen in the metal has been either a show car, which quite often don't even have the second engine connected to a transmission, or a motorsport special built for grass-tracking or rally-cross.

I'd be interested to read the comments of an actual SVA inspector on the subject.

41 minutes ago, SteersWithThrottle said:

I presaged what I said with "as far as I know" which to me means, "I am led to believe this, but if you know better please feel free to correct me".

You have done the research (taking you at your word) and I stand corrected. Congratulations, you have won the internet today.

The source of my belief on this is, iirc, a Scrapheap Challenge Special, where either one of the contestants or experts mentioned it. Now, whether this "knowledge" was as a result of previous legislation now revised due to impending hybrids, or of the "everyone knows that" urban myth variety such as common law marriage, I just don't know.

Every example of this type of vehicle I've seen in the metal has been either a show car, which quite often don't even have the second engine connected to a transmission, or a motorsport special built for grass-tracking or rally-cross.

I'd be interested to read the comments of an actual SVA inspector on the subject.

To be fair, I would love to facilitate a System FMEcA, a Fault tree analysis, and a safety critically review of a twin engined car.

I'm sure we could make it safe. 

I remember being at Santa Pod was it 2004 ? Or 2005 ? For Performance Vauxhall show.  Regal had a twin LET engined nova with 400 bhp at each end, and 2 six speed gearboxes.  I assumed it was road legal.

Anyways up.

Halfway down the home straight, one of the gearboxes failed to change up and it only managed to do the 1/4 mile in about 16 seconds instead of 8. The driver spent at least 10 seconds taking it into neutral and trying again.  It would seem that the complex mechanical linkage needed tweaking.  

Thinking about that now, I think robotising one of the boxes, would be a solution. 

Or having an automatic box in the rear, which just does its own thing. 

13 minutes ago, New POD said:

To be fair, I would love to facilitate a System FMEcA, a Fault tree analysis, and a safety critically review of a twin engined car.

I'm sure we could make it safe. 

I remember being at Santa Pod was it 2004 ? Or 2005 ? For Performance Vauxhall show.  Regal had a twin LET engined nova with 400 bhp at each end, and 2 six speed gearboxes.  I assumed it was road legal.

Anyways up.

Halfway down the home straight, one of the gearboxes failed to change up and it only managed to do the 1/4 mile in about 16 seconds instead of 8. The driver spent at least 10 seconds taking it into neutral and trying again.  It would seem that the complex mechanical linkage needed tweaking.  

Thinking about that now, I think robotising one of the boxes, would be a solution. 

Or having an automatic box in the rear, which just does its own thing. 

https://www.fastcar.co.uk/fast-car-news/top-7-extreme-vauxhalls/

Cheapish 120d in Norn Iron. 

Please view this ad:

BMW 120D Not M Sport type R Vxr Amg 320 330 civic golf astra mini leon,

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/bmw-120d-not-m-sport-type-r-vxr-amg-320-330-civic-golf-astra-mini-leon/1390587947?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: £ 1,100

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gumtree.android

Screenshot_20201216-174659_Gumtree.jpg

25 minutes ago, vaughant said:

Cheapish 120d in Norn Iron. 

Please view this ad:

BMW 120D Not M Sport type R Vxr Amg 320 330 civic golf astra mini leon,

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/bmw-120d-not-m-sport-type-r-vxr-amg-320-330-civic-golf-astra-mini-leon/1390587947?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: £ 1,100

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gumtree.android

Screenshot_20201216-174659_Gumtree.jpg

tenor.gif