eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

3 hours ago, New POD said:

You are young lad.

You WILL change your mind one day. 

I was like you at your age. 

In fact it appears I may have become the person I used to despise when I were a lad. 

I changed my mind after a 6 hour trip coming back from Cardiff to Formby with stop start traffic on the M6. Eventually I was crying in pain. 

To be fair, since I've had the omega, I've never felt that I was in the wrong gear. 

The wife's mk6 Astra?  It has that irritating thing when you are in cruise at 70 on the motorway and you come to a gentle incline, of dropping from 6th to 5th. But that's a robotised manual box, which is "more modern" and also being bottom of the range, it doesn't have that all essential sport mode. 

My daily is a 8 speed auto, just detest the earlier 4/5 speed slushboxes which feel dangerously slow to react to loud pedal input 😅

1 hour ago, jamiechod said:

My daily is a 8 speed auto, just detest the earlier 4/5 speed slushboxes which feel dangerously slow to react to loud pedal input 😅

You should try a mk2 cavalier 3 speed auto.  Preferably with a smaller engine.  

I had a 1.8 Cdi Auto given to me free in 2004 and the gap between 2nd and top was so large it was full of illegal migrants attempting a crossing in stolen fishing boats. 

Wish I'd kept* that car. 

Are the 8 speed autos done with 8 different gears or is it a CVT with programmed steps (like the 54 plate 6 speed A200 turbo I test drove with CVT last year * fecking ace car but gearboxes are chocolate so didn't buy) 

11 hours ago, jamiechod said:

4 and 5 speed slushboxes are modern. Real cars have 3 speed slushboxes. I generally prefer a manual but have a few automatics, they are generally much cheaper to buy secondhand and give a different but not unpleasant driving experience when you are used to them. 

46 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

4 and 5 speed slushboxes are modern. Real cars have 3 speed slushboxes. I generally prefer a manual but have a few automatics, they are generally much cheaper to buy and give a different but not unpleasant driving experience when you are used to them. Also automatics are usually much cheaper to buy secondhand.

Try an old Vauxhall Powerglide, just two forward gears.

11 hours ago, New POD said:

What's not to like ? It's a manual.   Real luxury does not involve using ones hands and feet to change gear. 

Absolutely. 

9 hours ago, jamiechod said:

id rather make my own gear choices than some archaic 90s tech slush box to eventually select a cog and charge me extra in fuel for doing so ;) 

Calling the 90s archaic is making me feel old. My 90s stuff is the height of modernity to me. 

53 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

Real cars have 3 speed slushboxes. 

That's more like it. My idea of modern is having a Borg Warner 65 instead of a 35.

1 hour ago, New POD said:

Are the 8 speed autos done with 8 different gears or is it a CVT with programmed steps (like the 54 plate 6 speed A200 turbo I test drove with CVT last year * fecking ace car but gearboxes are chocolate so didn't buy) 

The ZF 8 speed are separate gears and a proper slush box. Ford and GM have teamed up to make a slush 10spd auto. Used on Mustang, F150 and others.  Most manufacturers have given up on CVT as it seems hard to make them long term reliable. 

These modern slush gearboxes can select any ratio and not need to shift them in order. 

Computer controlled 5 speed boxes are tolerable. Newer it is, the more advanced and way superior driving experience they give. Even shitter as they age though when they go wrong and no one ever maintains a auto gearbox over here properly. 

I've not been in or driven a mechanical auto gearbox that has been good. Either they sliiiip into gear for smoothness or they bang in to gear for speed. As there is no computer orchestrating proceedings, they almost always can't change between their behaviours. 

3 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

4 and 5 speed slushboxes are modern. Real cars have 3 speed slushboxes. I generally prefer a manual but have a few automatics, they are generally much cheaper to buy and give a different but not unpleasant driving experience when you are used to them. Also automatics are usually much cheaper to buy secondhand.

As I say, I have an auto myself, I prefer one with 8 cogs rather than 4 or 5? I've given the reason why, reaction times are, in my opinion, abysmal. The e46 tiptromic I had recently it felt like an age before it kicked down and could overtake safely. My car you can literally tap the throttle and its offf, and it's only a 2.0 diesel. 

3 hours ago, New POD said:

You should try a mk2 cavalier 3 speed auto.  Preferably with a smaller engine.  

I had a 1.8 Cdi Auto given to me free in 2004 and the gap between 2nd and top was so large it was full of illegal migrants attempting a crossing in stolen fishing boats. 

Wish I'd kept* that car. 

It's an 8 speed slush box effectively so 8 seperate cogs. 

I think the only other auto I have had an affinity with is the dsg Vag unit but as you put, they are chocolate so would be frightened to death of owning one. 

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Absolutely. 

Calling the 90s archaic is making me feel old. My 90s stuff is the height of modernity to me. 

That's more like it. My idea of modern is having a Borg Warner 65 instead of a 35.

I was 8 when the auto box in an S type was released so I've seen them come on quite a bit in a short time 😅

40 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

It's an 8 speed slush box effectively so 8 seperate cogs. 

I think the only other auto I have had an affinity with is the dsg Vag unit but as you put, they are chocolate so would be frightened to death of owning one. 

The ZF 8 speed is the most amazing thing, I’ve only driven 2 cars fitted with it , both have over 600 bhp , but the way it will kick down 4 gears and launch past dawdlers, is instantaneous and doesn’t feel like something mechanical happened , just one minute you’re doing 50 then a few seconds later , double that , without feeling a single change. The rev counter  would probably give it away, but to be honest I’m usually too busy to look down! 
When I get back behind the wheel of one of my archaic Merc 7 speeders it feels like a BW35 ( low on fluid) . It should last forever in a 420d .

To show my age I remember 2 speed Powerglides too, my Dad had a Viscount when I was 10, and I had a 67 Impala that I ever even noticed was only 2 speed, it was when I sold it the new owner mentioned it.

The first 5 speed auto I drove , I managed to drive 100 miles on the day it was delivered new with top locked out, it was a W124 300e 24 and I’d knocked the lever to the left. I read the manual that night.

That Mondeo looks like it's been prepped for the oval, which is the best things for them.

Ps: @wuvvum I was winning the listing for that taxi but bottled out of a bigger offer when I got outbid. I think it finished at about £190.

3 minutes ago, bogeyhead said:

Passengers please enter by the red door.

a FWD mondeo with a mismatched passenger door, no wheel trims, no interior pics or a RWD jaaaaaaaaaaaaag with a manual box and full cow, (nothing in description RE coolant leaks/fag smells  so bizzare comments) for £25 extra, 

#autoshite