eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

3 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I’ve always like V6 Mondeo. ( and Sierras and Cortinas before them) pity this is an auto as the manuals are pretty quick and in my opinion the MK1 Mondeo was up their with the 405 as the best handling FWD saloons available in the early 90’s.

i remember Perfromance Car testing one, real basic on trims etc, like this one. They were so impressed John Barker got Ford to take back his V6 Probe Long Termer and kept the Mondeo for 6 months.

Also if i remember correctly the automatics used to shit the bed regularly 

Is it wrong that I REALLY want this Rover 25 in my life?

777F67FA-6485-4407-9782-A02B3C57B89C.thumb.png.4e45c9718142003f8d3b19596bd6cf4c.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114353685930

Despite it’s roughness, it just has that charm and want factor. It’s also an ex-Rover management car with that TOL registration. These, and a load of pre-sales Rover 75 Tourers were registered with similar numbers.

There was a similar registered 25 on A Touch of Frost years ago. 

FA56F718-CA64-44B7-AC49-737E70D78927.jpeg.e766f8951ab61a945d7e787af5bbf81c.jpeg

It’s also the wrong end of the country to me too which is a pisser. Someone GIB.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Cheap Legacy with some issues.

s-l1600.jpg

'Kinell!!  :shock:

Cambelt Roulette FTW.

I'm doing the same on the diesel Borat, and after more than 100000 miles I reckon it is possible to get away with it if you never thrash the car and don't take it over 2000/2100rpm. Admittedly this limits you to about 60mph but what's the hurry? Plus, you score massively on the Emm Pee Gees 

36 minutes ago, greengartside said:

Is it wrong that I REALLY want this Rover 25 in my life?

Not at all! I fancy getting one or a 200 of the same shape as soon as I can find a good one nearby. Seems like most are on their way out though now. I’ve only driven one K-series car (a 45) and I was actually really impressed, so I’m keen to have a go in one of these too

(Especially a doom blue misery model like this one)

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Cambelt Roulette FTW.

I'm doing the same on the diesel Borat, and after more than 100000 miles I reckon it is possible to get away with it if you never thrash the car and don't take it over 2000/2100rpm. Admittedly this limits you to about 60mph but what's the hurry? Plus, you score massively on the Emm Pee Gees 

I suppose you can get away with that on an old TDI.  A modern diesel driven like that would shart its DPF and / or DMF in short order.

46 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

At two and a half grand there are so many cheaper - and less embarrassing - ways of killing yourself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMX-GT-Performer-homage-bike-125cc/274427728882

Was going to say that looks quite well done but then I noticed it has no brakes. For 2400 I could buy a VFR and ride it for years. 

6 hours ago, spike60 said:

Mercedes 508D Motorhome. Somehow I just wouldn't want to wake up in this......!

spacer.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-508D-Motorhome/143709382186?hash=item2175bf262a:g:yHMAAOSwvvhfSojK

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

There's little danger of me ever waking up in that as I wouldn't have been able to get to sleep in the first place, even if it was the right way up.

Oh! fucking hell, I didn't actually realise it was upside down until you said that LOL

9 hours ago, The Vicar said:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1247858

50297362163_3b0177984c_z.jpg

50298039696_e3ac5efcfc_z.jpg

50298039641_0aa2ca6a9e_z.jpg

Have we had this? Tidy looking V6 Mk1 Mondeo, MOT'd til February 2021.

Seems very reasonably priced at £1295 to my mind.

We have but who cares its a lovely looking thing. 

I had an estate version in Manuel flavour which was free and loved it. Another one I should have kept but fuel was £1.50 a litre back in 2008 and it seemed expensive to run then. Was actually not bad on fuel at all. Took it on a long run to Brighton amazed at the cruise control and heated front screen being a Ghia flava. 

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I suppose you can get away with that on an old TDI.  A modern diesel driven like that would shart its DPF and / or DMF in short order.

Modern DPF is a close coupled affair. So it's quite capable of regenerating at 2k rpm by using the normal method of injecting fuel while the exhaust valve is open. Our 2010 A4 happily does it at 20mph in 2nd gear for instance. At 10 years old, it's not particularly modern anymore and the engine in it has been around a few years longer than that. It was the 2005-2009 period where manufacturers retrofitted DPFs had the biggest issues as the placement of them aren't optimal and tend to be a long way away from the exhaust manifold. 

Revving a diesel hard just produces more soot. This then fills the DPF quicker, regen more often and build up ash content. Hence shorten their lives. 

48 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'll take your word for it, I really don't understand the bloody things.  My only experience with a DPF is on my 2008 Mondeo, which has been a pain in the arse, presumably for the reasons you evoke.

MK4 Mondeo DPF lives under the car (FOR7003)

ImageHandler.ashx?ID=ewAiAE0AYQBrAGUAIgA

ford_mondeo_mk4_20tdci_115km_dpf_3.jpg

Mk5 Mondeo DPF lives in the engine bay (FOR7049H). Inlet is directly attached to the turbo outlet. 

ImageHandler.ashx?ID=ewAiAE0AYQBrAGUAIgA

FORD-MONDEO-MK5-2015-ROK-2-0-TDCI-KATALI

As you might imagine, being in the engine bay, directly next to and connected to the turbo will allow it to get a lot hotter quicker and stay a lot hotter for longer. Exactly what a DPF needs to burn off soot content during a regen. 

You can tell that the Mondeo Mk5 was designed with DPF placement in mind. While the MK4 looks a decidedly retrofitted item later in the models lifecycle. Especially being after the Cat and quite away from the hot stuff. The hot exhaust gases from the engine + turbo will be cooled off in the cat, pipework and then air blowing over the DPF under the car.

Of course any DPF still can be a pain in the bum when something causes high soot content and fills it up quickly (e.g. leaky injectors). Or measurements go out of whack and regens happen too often/too little. But then the people driving behind the broken diesel will be appreciative that it isn't chucking out shit loads of clag and the fault ignored!

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

So presumably FOR1097H and FOR5089H are the cats in the respective setups?

Looks like it. Googling FOR1097H brings up a cat. The part numbers on the Mk5 don't bring up anything on Google, but then that's probably because they're too new for aftermarket parts to be in ready supply. 

Also GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filters) are a thing now, mostly currently restricted to the high performance stuff. But with ever tightening emissions regs and manufacturers pushing internal combustion tech to its limits, they'll end up filtering down to lower models. 

With electric cars becoming the mainstay, ever cheaper and even humdrum models offering superb real world performance (i.e. under 100mph), the dinosaur fueled vehicles will become dinosaurs themselves. Thus prime cheap fodder for this forum if still around in 10 to 15 years. Especially big engined stuff that has the GPF that will look expensive to run with performance not that special against a big standard electric car. So we'll have to be familiar and get used to this tech for a good while longer!

The alternative is to buy a good condition 2000 era petrol with manifold fuel injection (none of the FSI or like nonsense) and keep it! Simple enough to not only work on, but parts tolerances less critical and even the electronics are simple to be replaced if the ECU conks out (e.g. possible to replace with mega squirt or equivalent). Something that isn't as easily done once into direct injection where injection timing is critical.