eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

4 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Do any of you know of any notification service that will prompt me if a popular vehicle comes for sale on ebay, gumtree, CaC etc? I.e. it will tell me every time a 'Citroen ZX' or something appears for sale on any selling site.

You mean apart from this thread?

eBay allows you saved searches and will send you alerts; I assume this also covers Gumtree now since it seems to cross-link to ebay.

Good luck finding anything on CaC these days.

@willswitchengage

Not that I'm aware of. They only seem to have daily emails. 

Obviously you can do saved searches on the app equivalents, they'll then have a marker against them when new listings are put up. That's how I accidentally* find stuff to buy. 

I have the sub £1000 listings on C+C as a refresh page on my laptop, the mobile version lists them by price rather than listing date. 

14 hours ago, Stevebrookman said:

@Skizzer

For sale on Facebook £3250 

104658632_10157616891903435_718322222074

But wait a gearlever!

104493659_10157616894863435_872422618645

But there's more!

104666844_10157616896378435_355273729193

My heavens, I bet that’s a lovely cruiser.

That grille badge needs to go, obviously.

It’s even properly logged as a 3.0 with the DVLA. No MOT though, and I’m not convinced its exempt, being modified.  Edit: I have now convinced myself it is MOT exempt.

2 minutes ago, Sir Snipes said:

Presume that was a 12valve, 6 cylinder CIH originally? 

It was. When I bought my Royale nearly 5 years ago, the bloke I bought it off had a huge workshop. He was just finishing this. The donor car was a Carlton GSi -I only know this as the receipt was in my Royale. Both were in Shrewsbury.

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

No MOT though, and I’m not convinced its exempt, being modified.

Is that right? I thought it was only based on the age, how would dvla decide how much modification was too much to be exempt if the registration remains the same?

Edit: apologies, you're right, there's a whole 'substantial changes' clause that applies for engine swaps etc. However, "alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered to be a substantial change"

is the later 3.0 the same basic engine?

I don't think they did a 2.8 CIH. They did 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 four cylinders but I think the six was always 3 litres. I think the blocks are broadly similar - there was a fella in the North West doing a 16v head for a Manta by cutting down a 24v head. That was maybe twenty years ago now and I don't know if he ever finished it. 

2 hours ago, Sir Snipes said:

I don't think they did a 2.8 CIH. They did 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 four cylinders but I think the six was always 3 litres. I think the blocks are broadly similar - there was a fella in the North West doing a 16v head for a Manta by cutting down a 24v head. That was maybe twenty years ago now and I don't know if he ever finished it. 

The 2.8 CIH was the carb option for Senators and Royales in saloon or Coupe flavour. I think ,in the U.K. anyway, Monzas we’re always 3.0 Injections. There was also a 2.5 CIH found in carb form in Commodores and Viceroys and later in injection form in Senators . Presumably the 2.6 in Carltons and later Senators was also the CIH .

9 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

The 2.8 CIH was the carb option for Senators and Royales in saloon or Coupe flavour. I think ,in the U.K. anyway, Monzas we’re always 3.0 Injections. There was also a 2.5 CIH found in carb form in Commodores and Viceroys and later in injection form in Senators . Presumably the 2.6 in Carltons and later Senators was also the CIH .

Wow I either didn't know or had forgotten how many variants of the CIH they did back then! Let's list them;

1.3, 1.6, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 (4-pots)

2.5, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0 (6 cyl)

Can we count the Lotus as a very heavily revised/distant relative? How about the Manta 400 16v? 

2 hours ago, Sir Snipes said:

Wow I either didn't know or had forgotten how many variants of the CIH they did back then! Let's list them;

1.3, 1.6, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 (4-pots)

2.5, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0 (6 cyl)

Can we count the Lotus as a very heavily revised/distant relative? How about the Manta 400 16v? 

Yes the 3.6 is a stretched 24v CIH , also I think some Bitters had a 4.0 version . There were a couple of 4.0 Senator 24v s for sale recently on eBay or C&C, presumably these were the same lumps Bitter used rather than some ancient South African or Australian 1950’s Chevrolet pickup truck engine like in their Senator A’s.