eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

2 hours ago, The Vicar said:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1196324

49745747583_e9a75c9962.jpg

TD Volcane with short MOT, £1250. Could be worth a look, it does sound promising.

I love this bit:

I've seen Volcanes up for crazy money before but they never seem to sell. Nice colour but 5 doors aren't in its favour either. ZX's look so much better in 3-door form IMHO

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-626-gxi-2-0L-very-low-mileage-37000/283840307420

This was on my watch list recently. It was in South London and sold for about £400 BIN. Since been relisted, now in Tring for £900 but with full test. The seller's claim about failing on brake pads only seems to be genuine. TBH i wouldnt begrudge paying somewhere in the region of the asking price as it seems to be in good shape.

52 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

It was in this months practical classics. The guy had got some for his CX, the company was remaking them in sensible sizes and getting them type approved.

That's FraBu Classic in Switzerland. The fella sank his own time and money into producing a 16" (and only this size) replica of the Turbo metric alloy. The overall diameter is slightly increased, I think.

6 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That's FraBu Classic in Switzerland. The fella sank his own time and money into producing a 16" (and only this size) replica of the Turbo metric alloy. The overall diameter is slightly increased, I think.

I got the impression it wasn’t the only one, perhaps others are different companies?

4 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

In the past I have tried to find out if you can buy those Metro and Montego metric tyres now anywhere. I have given up looking and concluded you simply can't, not at any price.

On the continent having the 'original' homologated tyre size is often an MOT requirement so i thought they might remain in low-volume availability over there long after everyone in the UK had swapped to imperial rims, (I remember dear departed Davenumbers battling with this issue actually) but I can't find anyone selling them anywhere. 

That would really piss me off big time if I had a nice D-reg Metro City X in clove brown and I could not put the original wheels and tyres on it even  if I was ready to throw money at the problem. (Luckily I haven't got one so its not wrecking my sleep patterns just now)

I don't know where he found them but my g/f's old man bought a set of metric Dunlops for his e34 520. The set cost him £1000. I could have found him a set of near enough 15" or 16" BBS rims and tyres for probably half that if I had known he needed them.

4 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

In the past I have tried to find out if you can buy those Metro and Montego metric tyres now anywhere. I have given up looking and concluded you simply can't, not at any price.

On the continent having the 'original' homologated tyre size is often an MOT requirement so i thought they might remain in low-volume availability over there long after everyone in the UK had swapped to imperial rims, (I remember dear departed Davenumbers battling with this issue actually) but I can't find anyone selling them anywhere. 

That would really piss me off big time if I had a nice D-reg Metro City X in clove brown and I could not put the original wheels and tyres on it even  if I was ready to throw money at the problem. (Luckily I haven't got one so its not wrecking my sleep patterns just now)

I don't know where he found them but my g/f's old man bought a set of metric Dunlops for his e34 520. The set cost him £1000. I could have found him a set of near enough 15" or 16" BBS rims and tyres for probably half that if I had known he needed them.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

I got the impression it wasn’t the only one, perhaps others are different companies?

Only FraBu went to the lengths of applying for TüV approval for that single wheel design, as far as I'm aware. It took ages, as the German requirements are exhaustive.

The result is a wheel that is almost indistinguishable from the original metric, but which can have much cheaper tyres, so all those CX Turbos currently running on Alfa alloys can return to something that looks the part.

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

s-l1600.jpg

This really needs checking out. The photographs are so fucking awful, it's like one of those stick men 'flick books' we used to make as kids.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-car/202958700929?hash=item2f41480181:g:b3wAAOSw7SZejJKH

What is it? Annoyed with myself for not knowing. (Other than presumably fucked, I meant)