eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

33 minutes ago, spartacus said:

That Vauxhall 1.3 engine was the one to have as a new driver when I started driving in the late '80's. Ford, VW etc were struggling to get 50bhp out of their 1.1-1.3 offerings, the GM 1.3 made about 75bhp I think, a proper road rocket!

Was that the 1297 also found in the Nova SR etc.?

2 hours ago, face said:

1275 A series is that? Anybody driven one?

I’d like to see a bottom-spec-1980s-rep-mobile race between one of these, plus 1.3 Versions of the Cavalier and Sierra.

I had a Montego 1.3 back when I started driving in the early noughties. The engine had hit a nice sweet spot just before 'fucked' whereby it was eager and willing but got through oil at a rate of knots. I remember in slip road drag races with my friend's Montego 1.6 it was as quick to 50mph. Cruising was all about maintaining momentum.

Incidentally, while I reminisce; the Montego 1.3 got a different washer bottle on the earliest examples. It was the Ital/miniMetro style where a small plastic bottle slotted over a metal bracket on the bulkhead. If you took a speedbump too fast, the bottle would lift off the bracket, landing on the gearbox and jamming the linkages. A few times I had to coast to the side of the road, pop the bonnet and put it back. Soon on my way again!

11 hours ago, face said:

I’d like to see a bottom-spec-1980s-rep-mobile race between one of these, plus 1.3 Versions of the Cavalier and Sierra.

I had one as a company hack for my penance. It was not very long  period of time as they kept changing them for me. It was  not the fastest on the road, but it done the job. It was roomy and comfortable. That is what most cars are for.

12 hours ago, face said:

I never knew these were A-series powered. Wow. What a life that engine had - A30 right through to Montego some bit of engineering.

Friends company ran a Montego as part of their company fleet when new. People who used it were really surprised they really liked it - that was how low perception of BL had fallen.

I'm now pretty much certain* that during the 1990s Mazda designed and built exactly one of each type of 323. I'm not sure I've ever seen two alike? For example this is a new one on me

s-l1600.png

4 door saloon? I thought they were all hatches and rarely more than 3 door? It must have cost an unbelievable amount in tooling!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Mazda-323-GLX-1-6-MOT-October-2020-FSH-2-owners-323-BG/124013276279?hash=item1cdfc46c77:g:CNMAAOSwv9peBiiY

13 minutes ago, Stanky said:

I'm now pretty much certain* that during the 1990s Mazda designed and built exactly one of each type of 323. I'm not sure I've ever seen two alike? For example this is a new one on me

s-l1600.png

4 door saloon? I thought they were all hatches and rarely more than 3 door? It must have cost an unbelievable amount in tooling!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Mazda-323-GLX-1-6-MOT-October-2020-FSH-2-owners-323-BG/124013276279?hash=item1cdfc46c77:g:CNMAAOSwv9peBiiY

Are these not quite a lot of Ford underneath? I have even seen a Fiesta Mk3 with a Mazda badge. Looks a fair buy - only worry that that wing damage has not caused other issues.

A late BG at that, replaced in 1994 by the BH (or BA?) by this version of the saloon, not that anyone noticed...

mazda_323_1996-1998_saloon.jpg

edit: I'd really like that one just posted, but have no need or justification for it!

edit2: It's seen plenty of sparkly stick though - and probably needs more next time.

43 minutes ago, Stanky said:

s-l1600.png

I'm pretty sure this shape was available with a rear wiper, at least early on - thus joining the likes of the Ford Orion, Subaru Impreza and Peugeot 406 in the (sparse) ranks of saloons with rear wipers.

4 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'm pretty sure this shape was available with a rear wiper, at least early on - thus joining the likes of the Ford Orion, Subaru Impreza and Peugeot 406 in the (sparse) ranks of saloons with rear wipers.

I've had a saloon for the last couple of months and I really miss having a rear wiper...

2 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

I think that is cheap for what it is.  Makes you remember how elegantly everyday cars could be styled - as opposed to today's ugly bug ball. Not sure if the was Italian styled - possibly Pininfarina? Just lovely. A sweeter nicer easier age IMHO. And at 10-15 years old these kind of cars were such great banger buys...those were the days...Great visibility and probably nice to drive. Needs a new owner to tuck it up in a warm garage.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, Skizzer said:

This is making my teeth tingle.

67280EC1-9C8A-4469-9696-6DE5A060064D.thumb.jpeg.93f78239090dd8acff74c1b37ba85828.jpeg71FA1CB1-6118-4EB0-8F97-B2D85FF58BF7.thumb.jpeg.63814ab934a551db3ed320408b946d8c.jpeg

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1155683

Sounds like the challenges are mainly cosmetic; nothing nasty in the last MOT and its had some mechanical work.

A Volumex HPE is definitely on my bucket list. 

If you're seriously after one, PM me and I can send you pictures of mine which I'm tempted to sell.