eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

59 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

It wasn't that long,you couldn't give these away..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2483253545268838/

image.thumb.png.88abd38796764b9bcd713af46fc2d2ed.png

I had several over the years. Made of tinfoil underneath and all got too rusty to save. 

Buyer would need to look very carefully underneath - they hide their corrosion pretty well up top - and have the carpets up inside.

Auto - not much fun either - bit lethargic really. Not much fun. 

The 5-speed manuals are much much more fun and a better long distance cruiser - but more of a cruiser than a sports. MPG better too. Autos a bit thirsty compared to a lot of comparable cars these days.

Parking on grass - risky you could come back to find it has dissolved. The glass roofs are ok out - but heavy and take up a lot of space off which is already limited by spare under hatch inside.

Some had Donovos in period - was an era before 'spacesaver' spares.

Plastics and trim Christmas cracker novelty quality - very susceptible to sun damage.

Expensive. They were a disposable sports car for the US market really.

Turbos are fun and a much more serious piece of kit. I raced a new old style XJR up the A303 in the era before speed cameras...?

So if you are after one go for the manual and solid roof...and a turbo if any are left.

I paid £250-500 for most of mine 20+ years ago. How times change. Would I have another? Only a turbo.

16 minutes ago, face said:

1275 A series is that? Anybody driven one?

I’d like to see a bottom-spec-1980s-rep-mobile race between one of these, plus 1.3 Versions of the Cavalier and Sierra.

When I was at college in the late '80s a friend had one as his first company car with a new employer. I remember getting the odd lift out in it, it functioned as a car and I don't recall him saying it was horrific, but he had knackered Chevettes before it.

I think a Cavalier 1.3 would easily win a race between the three of them.

33 minutes ago, spartacus said:

That Vauxhall 1.3 engine was the one to have as a new driver when I started driving in the late '80's. Ford, VW etc were struggling to get 50bhp out of their 1.1-1.3 offerings, the GM 1.3 made about 75bhp I think, a proper road rocket!

Was that the 1297 also found in the Nova SR etc.?

2 hours ago, face said:

I’d like to see a bottom-spec-1980s-rep-mobile race between one of these, plus 1.3 Versions of the Cavalier and Sierra.

I had a Montego 1.3 back when I started driving in the early noughties. The engine had hit a nice sweet spot just before 'fucked' whereby it was eager and willing but got through oil at a rate of knots. I remember in slip road drag races with my friend's Montego 1.6 it was as quick to 50mph. Cruising was all about maintaining momentum.

Incidentally, while I reminisce; the Montego 1.3 got a different washer bottle on the earliest examples. It was the Ital/miniMetro style where a small plastic bottle slotted over a metal bracket on the bulkhead. If you took a speedbump too fast, the bottle would lift off the bracket, landing on the gearbox and jamming the linkages. A few times I had to coast to the side of the road, pop the bonnet and put it back. Soon on my way again!

11 hours ago, face said:

I had one as a company hack for my penance. It was not very long  period of time as they kept changing them for me. It was  not the fastest on the road, but it done the job. It was roomy and comfortable. That is what most cars are for.

12 hours ago, face said:

I never knew these were A-series powered. Wow. What a life that engine had - A30 right through to Montego some bit of engineering.

Friends company ran a Montego as part of their company fleet when new. People who used it were really surprised they really liked it - that was how low perception of BL had fallen.

I'm now pretty much certain* that during the 1990s Mazda designed and built exactly one of each type of 323. I'm not sure I've ever seen two alike? For example this is a new one on me

s-l1600.png

4 door saloon? I thought they were all hatches and rarely more than 3 door? It must have cost an unbelievable amount in tooling!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Mazda-323-GLX-1-6-MOT-October-2020-FSH-2-owners-323-BG/124013276279?hash=item1cdfc46c77:g:CNMAAOSwv9peBiiY

13 minutes ago, Stanky said:

I'm now pretty much certain* that during the 1990s Mazda designed and built exactly one of each type of 323. I'm not sure I've ever seen two alike? For example this is a new one on me

s-l1600.png

4 door saloon? I thought they were all hatches and rarely more than 3 door? It must have cost an unbelievable amount in tooling!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Mazda-323-GLX-1-6-MOT-October-2020-FSH-2-owners-323-BG/124013276279?hash=item1cdfc46c77:g:CNMAAOSwv9peBiiY

Are these not quite a lot of Ford underneath? I have even seen a Fiesta Mk3 with a Mazda badge. Looks a fair buy - only worry that that wing damage has not caused other issues.

A late BG at that, replaced in 1994 by the BH (or BA?) by this version of the saloon, not that anyone noticed...

mazda_323_1996-1998_saloon.jpg

edit: I'd really like that one just posted, but have no need or justification for it!

edit2: It's seen plenty of sparkly stick though - and probably needs more next time.