eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

32 minutes ago, barrett said:

Latest on BXgate. Apparently the guy told the PO he wanted the car as a personal pet project and was going to love and care for it etc, so she gave him some money off the asking price without him having to negotiate!

That's a bit cheeky, but she should have done her research (i.e. a quick 30 second google and peruse on eBay) to have seen that it was worth more than she advertised it for. Whilst it is annoying that it hasn't made it's way into the hands of an enthusiast, I think it's wrong to have a go at someone for spotting a bargain and realising there is a buck to be made- or for the PO for being gullible - it's the way of the world I'm afraid.  Sadly, money speaks the loudest. 

Admission: A friend of mine was going to see this on my behalf and we had the intention of doing the exact same thing, having first given it a decent clean and service.  By it dirty, sell it clean, get more money for the same machine. 

Suggestion: BX collective purchase to make it The BX of Many Shiters The 2nd, have a whip around to refund the PO the difference. Karma and all that..... 

Yeah, we've all done some deals like that. I part-funded the Palladium restoration by buying some stuff for buttons and selling at 20x what I paid.

All's fair in old cars, but I'm only annoyed because this directly affects me, and I'm selfish, and actually to the PO who obviously really wanted it to go to a good home. tbh I don't think £400 is outrageously cheap for a very leggy BX, even one as clean as that with a long MoT, and I reckon it might take a while to sell at £700.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the 780 is the best looking car of the 1980s, and the most tasteful. Up there with the 130 and Gamma coupés in the understated-but-means-business big bruiser canon. That one's a lot of money, but it's probably worth every penny to look that cool.

That 780 does look lovely.

Until you lift the bonnet.

ovlov.thumb.jpg.1715520691548c99758ca64393ec2313.jpg

Four cylinders is not enough. I didn't know that there had ever been a 780 with 2/3 (or less) of a real engine.

(I have heard all of the PRV6 knockers, but I have nothing bad to report from my PRV6 experience.)

One for bike lovers

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223698618807

20191107_144434.jpg

Is this a CD175 with a CB175 engine fitted?

Or a CB175 dressed with CD 175 tin ware?

Looking at the DVLA website, the latter is my favoured guess.

I think, with very few exceptions, the cost of restoring a 'normal' car will always exceed its value.

I play a game trying to find the highest gap between restoration cost and sale price in cars coming up for sale - the clear winner, unchallenged for several years, is a Triumph Herald saloon that had £65,000 spent on it and sold for something like £9k

On 11/6/2019 at 9:58 AM, barrett said:

Latest on BXgate. Apparently the guy told the PO he wanted the car as a personal pet project and was going to love and care for it etc, so she gave him some money off the asking price without him having to negotiate!

all too common in the Invacar world sadly, someone pretends to be an enthusiast to get a Model 70 or such, only for them to then turn around and sell it at an inflated price

its one of the reasons stuart closed up shop more or less

And I almost lost REV to such a guy, but funnily enough thanks to a tip off by fraser who himself does this sort of thing *grumble* (fraser tipped me off because the other buyer was trying to sell 1 of the Model 70's to fraser before the buyer had even sealed the deal with the original seller!)

I found out who exactly the other person/buyer was and what his true intentions where and then I was able to then relay this info to the seller, who decided to sell to me based on this info, as he wanted the 2 Model 70's to go to a good home rather then to someone just out for profit

but there was a point in all of that where I called the seller and his wife picked up the phone saying he had already sold the 2 Model 70's thats how close I was to losing REV!

I dont agree with how fraser does things, but im forever thankful for that tip off!