eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

20 hours ago, morrisoxide said:

That A30 looks right out of the 70's when they were just an old banger. By that time many had been well into bangerdom at 25 years old - and I was looking for a first car. 

Because of their original dowdy colours quite a few had had the roof or accent lines like this one picked out in a groovy colour by a fashion-conscious owner. Yellow and black was particularly popular.

This one has a really 70's cill repair on it too by the look of it - that involved plating or fibre-glassing them and then painting over them in Dulux.  

Most of these really well used up cars have now gone - but the sight of that one took me back to the 70's.

The ad itself give a 70's feel to the car too - all at this stage in their life needed welding and had bald tyres and terrible brakes . Just knock a 0 off the price and I could see this parked on a back street in Clapham - where indeed I bought my first A30 for £75 complete with bald tyres and no handbrake!

Only 2 photos in the ad - in those earlier days of course there were never photos - you just had to trust the description if going to look something over.

44 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Yes - out of the two I prefered my A30 to my A35 which I had later. Just felt a nicer old car. 

This one has a few improvements - not sure what they have done to the wheels and seats. But looks good on the outside. Missing a bit of the front grille.

Nice old things for pottering about - but the hydo-mechanical brakes take a bit of care.

Some people do take them on long journeys - but they are more suited to local journeys.

100 miles back in the day seemed a very long way in a 25 yo A30 - whereas my Mercedes 124 which is now 30yo - will do 100 miles without me even noticing. How times change. Not comparible cars but what was a 25 year old car in the 70's was a real 'old banger' but a late 80's car these days less so.

Super little cars with some fantastic engineering - Austin's first true monocoque - first use of the A-Series engine. The ones that were looked after in the 70's were mostly going strong.

Some great design details too - drop-down winder-less windows in the front and you lift the flying A to open the bonnet etc.

1 hour ago, Asimo said:

"VW K70, like Audi 100, beetle, Karmann, Golf".

No the whole point is that it is not like any of those...interesting car technically (it was designed by NSU)- I had one ....too modern to be charming and too bland to be worth buying IMHO. Very odd seating - you sit very high in the car on very overpadded seats.

I did not miss mine which replaced a Type 3 Variant which was a much nicer steer.

I paid £250 for mine...in 1986. Replaced it with an Audi 100 (the first one). That blew its big ends...

1 hour ago, Asimo said:

Mot'd and driving apparently even though pictures have that 1983 look about them.  Engine has blue rockers.

image.thumb.jpeg.772b6c787e8d7398b82e1590fc6670b1.jpeg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Six-Wheel-Prototype/283612345348?hash=item42089cf404:g:~L8AAOSwzJldelEX

All sounds a bit Austin Powers - go take a look and pop along to the "climate controlled facility"