Squire_Dawson

Collection time.

Guest Hooli

Oh & I think I saw a set of brake shoes for one of these in the same box as those reversing lights.

We survived a blasting from our cars mortal enemy - twice

b78e81a68aad7c7308cd503ca3f7e537.jpg

Then to test the cooling system we went and found a stop/start/wait traffic jam and sat in it for 90 minutes.

d54cf643b378ad92df6641fe7759d704.jpg

It then started to sleet, followed by heavy rain. Me, in my warm, sealed car with closing doors, heater blower and radio wondered just how weatherproof the Midget was.

f5e1847469c7ace7b6ebf49e084bee16.jpg

Probably fine.

Guest Hooli

The only leak on a Midget that annoyed me was how the water curled under the edge of the roof above the quarter light and dripped on my right knee as I drove. Once I put a 88degree stat in mine it was warm all year around if I wore clothes when driving (unlike people these days who go out in winter wearing a t-shirt & complain its cold till their car warms up).

Oh & no silly ideas of a leccy fan, with the out the airflow the petrol in the carbs boils in summer traffic and it makes zero difference to MPG or performance.

Holy smoke what a collection! Funnily enough once we'd lunched and got past the caravan being towed with no windows or lights, but the curtains flapping about (Lincolnshire), our worst holdup was back almost on home turf, just before we crossed the border, so it was a Yorkshite problem. Keep death off the road! If only these bloody minded cretins managing to run into the back of each other on a one way motorway would stay at home, where they can only be a danger to themselves. I couldn't get the door shut again so it kept opening on the motorway, and my leg is wet.

I got home about 1:20am and set about washing the car. There was so much salt on it the people of Northwich could have mined it for a generation. 

post-17021-0-88050700-1549850746_thumb.jpg

Stat fans: 366 miles covered, and I'll find out the economy when I fill it tomorrow. I couldn't fill it tonight because it turns out if a petrol station has all its lights and signs on, and lets you use the pay at the pump card bit, it does not mean the pumps themselves are switched on.

post-17021-0-20796600-1549851017_thumb.jpg

When I sold my Austin Healey Sprite five years ago I fit into the driver's seat easily with room to spare. Oddly I found the Midget to be considerably harder to get into and I seemed to occupy a lot more of the cabin. From this I conclude that despite their identical appearance, the Midget is a much smaller car than the Sprite and this is the only explanation I will entertain. 

post-17021-0-34033000-1549851485_thumb.jpg

Squire checking the thread at the vintage petrol station. I wouldn't have posted this, except while flicking through my pictures tonight I noticed the reflection in the window is "Collect po"

post-17021-0-24225100-1549851612_thumb.jpg

post-17021-0-87253100-1549851714_thumb.jpg

I guess we did collect something in enamel white...

post-17021-0-47019200-1549851967_thumb.jpg

And to finish, here's another pic of the dream team. 

Very nice.

My old man's has the optional fitment Wobbly Lock Set also. With the hard top on, he was informed by a gentleman who was adept at undoing locks without actually having the key for aforementioned lock that it makes them awkward to pick.

With the soft top on he mused that was all rather academic.

They are uncomplicated and have a very nice clutch.

Phil

Glad this stayed in the fold…….. I loved mine - but I suspect the same shrinkage since my 20's has occurred.

I never used it except for Wroxham, Swaffham, Great Yarmouth B road blasts really. The mighty BGT was the motorway cruiser!

It looks to be in good shape - what's the wandering body report like?

Fantastic. Nice work!

Just spoke to my parents about this as they were stuck in the same queue heading back to Manchester. Turns out they saw you chaps on the hard shoulder doing something with the MG's door.

Dad was very excited to see both cars, think it really lifted his mood after a long weekend then all the traffic/weather issues.