Home made pick ups.

Yoss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 2:27 PM, UltraWomble said:

107548048_10158218478511368_3268792270543718706_o.jpg

Never really understood the thinking behind making a Beetle into a pickup, can't be a lot of load capacity. I've seen a few custom ones that look pretty good, and are never going to be used for tip runs.

43720183084_51ab0e2275_6k.jpgVW Action 2018 094 by RS, on Flickr

44437807631_7838a5101b_6k.jpgVW Action 2018 099 by RS, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

I dont know anything about the details, but stumbled across this photo and thought I should share it here :) 

Apart from the fact that that looks bloody awful I've never understood the point of a flat bed with no sides. There used to be a VW splittie pickup around here that was the same, with no means of securing anything. I never saw it carrying anything and there was no way that it realistically could.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:41 AM, skoda_fan said:

Apart from the fact that that looks bloody awful I've never understood the point of a flat bed with no sides. There used to be a VW splittie pickup around here that was the same, with no means of securing anything. I never saw it carrying anything and there was no way that it realistically could.

The flatbed is a well-established goods vehicle, I've driven many.  What you will find is they have tie-down hooks along both sides so you can literally tie the load down.  In theory it should not then shift as you drive, but that may depend on your driving style, or what hazards you meet.  I have known loads to shift and it's quite scary from in the cab, be it several tons of timber or one ton of potatoes.

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 2:37 AM, LightBulbFun said:

I dont know anything about the details, but stumbled across this photo and thought I should share it here :) 

image.thumb.png.863bbb76699511f22455d6f4fc0e0c12.png

On 8/6/2020 at 4:41 AM, skoda_fan said:

I would have thought that flatbed looks a useful size and really convenient for fork-lifting a pallet onto.  Surely that's pretty versatile ?  

And in the middle of its flatbed - there looks to be a plate. Might this be for landing the coupling of an articulated trailer onto ? That again opens up all sorts of possibilities.   

Personally I like Jaguars,  its look, that model of XJ6,  and its colour,  so I'd be very glad to own it.  But then I like many things for their distinctive style rather than utility. 8-)

Pete 

On 8/6/2020 at 4:41 AM, skoda_fan said:

Australia innit. Utes with a flat bed are popular in country Australia as you can put loads of bales on the back and just kick them off in the paddock.

Also minimal weight over the back wheels means they're great for burnouts outside the hotel on a Saturday night.

3 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Turning circle of an oil tanker, but might at least have a usable bed

Perhaps it's not a bed,  but a jacuzzi ?? - where the exhaust bubbles up through the water ..rather having an exhaust pipe out the back. :D