Home made pick ups.

Yoss

Banished to live in a tent for doing this to a Humber? No, I don't think so.

If someone wants to do this then hey ho. Someone must have got a lot of pleasure from building it.

7hCC1to.jpg

2DdBW6k.jpg

This Humber was on the car-show circuit for many years, always changing, so it must have really meant a lot to someone and absolutely masses of ongoing work. It was a hearse at one point although the blurry pics I've seen are too shit pic quality to post. At one time it had the Humber straight 6 with an offset bonnet scoop for the carb. Seen here with gen supercharged Chevy V8.

NZ6yyHZ.jpg

The 100+ XJS from around 1979/80.

Wonder if it's still around.

Not home-built, but custom built from a new shell for advertising purposes. Fitted with a 454 Chevy V8.

100+ were suppliers of fat custom wheels, etc.

t9Q1OWY.jpg

Edit - road tax was due November 1981.

Awww, had visions of it still being used on a farm or something, piled up with haybales and caked in cowshit.

But then you don't need road tax on private land. Who knows.

This W116 used to float around Southampton until, I assume, the bed rotted out...... 

post-5367-0-80006300-1549828389_thumb.jpg 

Again apologies for my Instamatic photos!  

This "59 Edsel Ranchero" conversion also showed up at a few local gatherings but I haven't seen it for a good while.   It ran a small block Chevy for some reason!   Neat, though....

post-5367-0-26036800-1549828633_thumb.jpg

Isn't that maxi an 1800 ute with maxi front panels? The chavette is south American & I believe a fibreglass body.

Always thought an Allegro estate would make a good looking pick-up.

When I first saw it I just thought it was an 1800 ute and thought that doesnt count. It took a few seconds before the Maxi bit sunk in. It certainly has the profile of an 1800 ute, but I don't know how easy it would be to put a Maxi front on. I'm trying to think of reasons why it wouldnt work but none spring to mind.

RyhaSII.jpg

MlpL1np.jpg

Maxi, converted to pick-up, then a camper thing added.

Isn't that maxi an 1800 ute with maxi front panels? The chavette is south American & I believe a fibreglass body.

Always thought an Allegro estate would make a good looking pick-up.

When I first saw it I just thought it was an 1800 ute and thought that doesnt count. It took a few seconds before the Maxi bit sunk in. It certainly has the profile of an 1800 ute, but I don't know how easy it would be to put a Maxi front on. I'm trying to think of reasons why it wouldnt work but none spring to mind.

It may well have started life as an 1800 Ute, but it has been extensively modified to look like a Maxi.

2878449403_cda916505f.jpg

Here we can see it also has a Maxi arse to match its Maxi face, It also has the filler flap from a Maxi located in a different place than the 1800.

051126873.JPG

My money says it also has a Maxi interior and dashboard.

NZ6yyHZ.jpg

The 100+ XJS from around 1979/80.

Wonder if it's still around.

Not home-built, but custom built from a new shell for advertising purposes. Fitted with a 454 Chevy V8.

100+ were suppliers of fat custom wheels, etc.

t9Q1OWY.jpg

Edit - road tax was due November 1981.

Awww, had visions of it still being used on a farm or something, piled up with haybales and caked in cowshit.

But then you don't need road tax on private land. Who knows.

I've read about that one it's long gone, was stolen whilst on a trailer, it was either burned or never recovered

Maxis are significantly narrower than Landcrabs so you can't just put the front of one on the other. That Maxi ute has had an awful lot of work for no apparent reason when you could buy an 1800 ute off the shelf.

What about a Volvo pickup? Converted by a Welsh farmer to carry hay and the current owner apparently also has a couple of 740 pickups. I remember seeing a blue one when I worked in Milton Keynes so I guess it must have been one of his.

15543825414_605b7a863b_c.jpg

1986 Volvo 240 GL pickup by Adam Floyd, on Flickr