egg

Invacar MK12 - No V5 yet - Happier with the DVLA!!

I'm not sure if I can drive a Luton with a tail lift on my post-97 driving licence (passed 2000)? Going to be too heavy with an Invacar aboard?

I passed my test in 2002 and have rented and driven countless Lutons so no problem there.

I have also used a Luton to move Mini's twice so also not a problem providing you can get it up in there.

The Mini's I transported were shells with all of the bits separate so same weight, just in more manageable chunks.

If you have enough people, you can roll the back wheels of the Invacar onto the tail lift and then have someone raise it whilst others lift the front until you are high enough to roll it in

I've now got a quote for £195 for the full journey to Whitstable from an Ipswich based courier with 43 out of 44 positive feedback.

The biggest problem about using a courier, is actually finding a way of paying the yard if their banking is up the creek.

A lot of Lutons are sub-3.5 tonne GVW and can therefore be driven on your licence.  You don't need a massive Luton to transport an Invacar...  Only problem is that tail lifts tend to be wider than they are long, and an Invacar might be longer than the length of the ramp, if that makes sense.  It would go on sideways, but then you'd have to get it into the van sideways too, which could be interesting.

How easy it will be to load / unload will depend largely on whether the wheels turn or not - if they do you could rig up some ramps using decking planks or whatever and roll it off.  If not, four blokes should be able to lift it out.

I've now got a quote for £195 for the full journey to Whitstable from an Ipswich based courier with 43 out of 44 positive feedback.

The biggest problem about using a courier, is actually finding a way of paying the yard if their banking is up the creek.

Paypal? Then at least they've got the money ready to tramsfer when their banking issues are sorted.

If you’re considering hiring a Luton, why not just hire a beaver tail? You’ll have ramps and a winch.. much easier & my local van hire place it’s the same price. Hired it plenty of times on a 2009 license too.

Bear in mind though that most modern 3.5-tonne beavertails don't have a solid bed, they have two separate ramps with a gap between them.  This keeps the unladen weight down and thus the payload up, but is not ideal for transporting a 3-wheeler.

Bear in mind though that most modern 3.5-tonne beavertails don't have a solid bed, they have two separate ramps with a gap between them.  This keeps the unladen weight down and thus the payload up, but is not ideal for transporting a 3-wheeler.

Ah my local one is a full bed mk6 Transit, got to be worth checking your local out?

Ours is £85 for the day, that plus diesel is cheaper than Shipley and you get to have fun driving a beaver tail!

Well, I've just told Mrs Egg, and it was more shrug of resigned acceptance than anything else.

I have made contact with one of the couriers (Jareck) who says he could do the full journey Wednesday morning for £195 to Whitstable.

So only barriers are:

- me being able to pay for it so the yard can let it go

- the yard changing their mind

- them not actually getting their act together and moving it

- me getting the Mondeo taxed and out of the garage.

Many possible things could go wrong. I may still need the generous help of our East Anglian crew, but as of this Sunday afternoon there is a plan.

sounds like a plan :)

my only thing to add is, are you able to ride along with the courier?

because with something like this, id think it would be good to personally be there so you can make sure no more bits go missing

and also so you have a chance to scope around the yard and see if you can find the door or any other bits :)

(or if you cant go along, can anyone else here go along?)

Very good points.

No I can't childcare and dental appointment(!) will put pay to that if it goes ahead Weds.

I expect Wuv/Barmatt/Greengartside will all be at work - but if it turns out they could be passing Weds morning - then great!

Hah to the dental appointment  :mrgreen:

shame about the door, I imagine since it was made out of steel and had some scrap value it was probably ripped off at some point and thrown into the scrap steel bin sadly

if you cant find a door, you could run arround pretending your a really small FX3 London Taxi :)

£195 isn't bad really for that distance.  I was working it out the other day and by the time you factor in diesel, something to eat and 2x Dartford crossings, it'd be £100 just in fixed costs.  Unless Jarek's conveyance of choice is a lot more economical than my LDV, of course - some of these modern vans are supposed to do daft mpg.

£195 isn't bad really for that distance. I was working it out the other day and by the time you factor in diesel, something to eat and 2x Dartford crossings, it'd be £100 just in fixed costs. Unless Jarek's conveyance of choice is a lot more economical than my LDV, of course - some of these modern vans are supposed to do daft mpg.

I was horrified at the MPG on that transit I borrowed last week. Just scraped 27 there and 26 back. Perhaps I was dreaming, but I thought - unladen - early/mid 30s should have been easy.

Oh well!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By dozeydustman
      Just about an hour ago I went to start my car up, had Mrs Dustman with me, to go and pick Miss Dustman up from work. Turned over fine but took a while to fire up.

Steering felt heavy. Thought maybe as it's currently -5 + wind chill it's just cold & the fluid is thick.

Started reversing out my bay then I was greeted with:
      "DING DONG" - ABS fault.
      "DING DONG" - ESP fault
      "DING DONG" - headlamp auto levelling not working, contact service.

I shut the car down straight away and we went in Mrs D's Corolla.

Alternator is less than 2 months old, it's a recon unit from Alternator Man in Portsmouth. Hoping the cold isn't killing the battery and it's taking the 'nator out with it (battery passed the drop test last time the no-charge warning came up). Looks like a session with the multimeter after work tomorrow.....

MEH.
    • By dozeydustman
      Mrs Dustman has a dash cam she wants me to fit to her '99 frog face Corolla. It came with a hard wire kit as opposed to the usual fag lighter lead, so I might as well make a decent* job of it and hide the wiring completely. Trouble is I can't remember how I got the radio pod out when I fitted the DAB unit she now has. I've also got a few dash illumination bulbs to change so I might as well do it all in one hit while it's a sunny afternoon.

A bit of googling comes up with the US spec dash which appears to be different from the European model, or the 2002-on model. I seem to remember spudging out the dash vents to access some bolts/rivets.

Failing that, is there an easier place to get a switched live from (besides the radio) that doesn't involve destroying the car's interior?
    • By 1970mgb
      So, someone posted on another thread a link to an Ebay listing for an LHD '74 Marina listed on Ebay.
      I called a little while ago and talked to the seller, and the story is that it was a good running and driving car 10 years ago, but has been neglected and won't run. I'm debating with myself about whether or not I want to take it on as a project.
      I know these had a terrible reputation when new, but at the same time they're actually legitimately rare in the US. I have seen one in person, and most of the estimates I've seen put the number of survivors at 10-20(although I don't know how much we can trust that).
      There's some definite appeal in the engine familiarity for me with the MGB. I MIGHT have to convert it to a manual though. In addition, there's the issue of having it shipped a couple hundred miles to me. It's listed now for $700...if I could do $500 it might be a make or break for me.
      Any thoughts here on it?

EDIT: The car as it sits now is an automatic. If I swapped the transmission, it would be to a manual. Sorry for any confusion from my incorrect statement!
    • By blackboilersuit
      After many a long year of occasional contribution on here I've probably got enough old shite on fleet now to do something I should have done yonks ago and start a project thread.
      The story so far.........
      I had an 02 CRV for 6 years and it performed faultlessly as an car taking everything in it's stride. The only issue with it was the 25mpg it returned but as I worked close to home that wasn't an issue. Cue December last year and a new job saw my commute go up from 4 miles a day to 32 miles a day.

By March I was drowning in green shield stamps so  bought the mighty diesel disAstra from Davehedgehog of this here parish. Shown here on the only off-road parking and only second car parking space I have. The garage contains a few motorbikes so I've always stubbornly stuck to a single car rule so I don't have to move motors to get bikes in and out. More on this detail in a bit.....

A combination of broken motorcycles needing worked on, a bike trip around the Baltic and work meant that I soon realised that I had no time to prep the disAstra for its MOT  at the start of this month. It wasn't worth enough to pay to have the work done so I decided that the poor old thing would be scrapped in favour of a replacement motor.........
      The mighty Volvo (V70 D5) was purchased from Ma & Pa forddeliveryboy of this parish and migrated north of the border back to it's natural home.

Three days after being pressed into commuting service the mighty volvo suffered a (badly) sticking caliper and much burning brake smells that had to be stripped and rebuilt before work the next day. Sticking piston at that so the whole thing was off and the brakes had to be bled afterwards. Two and a half hours in the pissing rain was a bit character building especially as the still MOT'd (by 3 days) and taxed (but not insured) astra was sitting on the drive. Decision made, insurance checked and a soon to be taken out Admiral multi-car policy will see me with two cars on the fleet again. I could have used one of the bikes but motorway commuting in the pissing rain on two wheels is no fun. The volvo needs an MOT in december so having the astra back on the road will take the pressure off getting that done if it needs work and the weather is bad.
      And so as the volvo continues to provide daily service, project astra revival starts. Known MOT work needed is frilly arches,  broken number plate and front discs and pads so nothing major. Thus far the arches have been sorted without resort to duct tape.
      After a bit of prodding.......

And after the angle grinder was let loose surprisingly it was only the return lip that was rotten so the welder was broken out to lash on some roughly cut fresh metal.

Linished off filled, sanded and primed. Note the use of a farmfoods brochure pulled out the bin being used as masking paper for extra shite points.

Followed by a near perfect colour matched (*) top coat....

Well I had black on the shelf and it's good enough to stop the primer soaking up the water so that'll do for now.
      Hoping to get brakes and MOT sorted in the coming week so more to follow soon (hopefully).