Invacar MK12 - New owner Mrs 6Cyl

egg

I bought a 1969 motorcycle magazine that promised guidance on rebuilding a Villiers 9E, mine is the similar 11E, umm....not sure it's going to help much ;-)

attachicon.gifvilliers1.jpeg

attachicon.gifvilliers2.jpeg.jpeg

the 9E and 11E from what I can tell are pretty similar with the 11E just having some invalid carriage specific adaptations

but the actual engine itself is the same I think so that rebuild guide might still be valid :)

(although given what you have shared in the past, and that winking emoticon i think you might know this already, just covering it to be safe :) )

(side note I notice you have WFO55F on the list of Mk12s, did you get that verified in the end? going by how its only 49cc and listed as 2 wheeled, i think its a Moped rather then a Mk12 sadly)

Yup, I know 9E and 11E are closely related. The wink was more - I'm not sure there's enough detail in the magazine guide to really help...anyway, I'm hoping not to do a full rebuild - getting it turning would be a start!

No WNO55F is not verified, but I've left it in there even though it probably isn't an Invacar - but you never know with the DVLA's records!

thats Awesome that you got the registration

you WILL be able to retain that reg and road register it once more

you could try a V62 again, or most likely going to have to try for a V765

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/old-vehicles

Stuart has a Peel P50, that had been off the road since 1968! so was never registered with the DVLA, and he managed to get it registered under its original number with the DVLA no problem :)

Thanks. I will think what's best for next steps.

Also, to let everyone know I asked the Council to provide details of other Invacars registered at the same time - and have the 100 or so registered before and after mine with the associated chassis number.

I will say its interesting how these/yours where registered in January 1968

where as there are other Mk12s with high chassis numbers that where registered before hand...

I wonder what the deal was there :)

and yeah not too surprised to see the first owner listed as Invacar, as hinted by the registrations being Essex ones, it seems like they where all registered initially at the factory, then shipped to the DHSS

(you can update your list of Mk12s now  :mrgreen: )

Indeed. Interesting about the Jan 68 thing, agreed. It cost me more money because it was in a later register than expected, lol!

Also, that 'X'WC meant we weren't that far away from having a second TWC ;-). As it is the plate doesn't lend itself to naming it... :-D

More updates on JBY503J

I have conversed with the owner over email today.

- He bought it in 2003 when it was Bond Bug orange - the history of it coming into private ownership; it was sold to the Combe Martin Motorcycle Museum as an exhibit.  The Museum disbanded, and the exhibits sold off.

- He spent 40 hours sanding it back to blue

- Rear drums are Triumph Spitfire

- Rear coil springs are Bond Minicar

- Track rod ends are Mini

I was cheeky and asked to visit - and he has said yes, and has also offered me a drive (Ian - if you are reading, take note - you could maybe visit him too on the way to the Greeves factory if you make that trip?)

So, I will try and arrange that with him, some detailed pictures would be helpful to me I'm sure anyway. He's just inside the M25.

More updates on JBY503J

- He bought it in 2003 when it was Bond Bug orange - the history of it coming into private ownership; it was sold to the Combe Martin Motorcycle Museum as an exhibit.  The Museum disbanded, and the exhibits sold off.

I was cheeky and asked to visit - and he has said yes, and has also offered me a drive (Ian - if you are reading, take note - you could maybe visit him too on the way to the Greeves factory if you make that trip?)

So, I will try and arrange that with him, some detailed pictures would be helpful to me I'm sure anyway. He's just inside the M25.

oh thats very cool! :)

is he aware of its number plate situation?

when ya say sanded back to blue, was literally just a case of sand the orange paint off and fix up the blue underneath and that was that, or did it need repainting in a fresh coat of blue?

if so im curious how he went about picking the right colour for it :)

XWC 468F

Not on DVLA :-(!!

Date Registered: 24 January 1968

Here's a pic of the actual entry.

Is that '68' in the date column, or '63'? Could be the photo resolution, but the '8' looks more like a '3' in this column, for both this photo and the following one with the page header. The '8' marked in the 'Class/Make/Chassis' column looks quite different...

24-Jan-63 would be odd for a vehicle with an 'F' registration letter, I grant you...

oh thats very cool! :)

is he aware of its number plate situation?

when ya say sanded back to blue, was literally just a case of sand the orange paint off and fix up the blue underneath and that was that, or did it need repainting in a fresh coat of blue?

if so im curious how he went about picking the right colour for it :)

Not sure about the number plate. But I'll PM you some extra info about that. He just described it as 'sanding and polishing' so no new paint was involved AFAIK.

Is that '68' in the date column, or '63'? Could be the photo resolution, but the '8' looks more like a '3' in this column, for both this photo and the following one with the page header. The '8' marked in the 'Class/Make/Chassis' column looks quite different...

24-Jan-63 would be odd for a vehicle with an 'F' registration letter, I grant you...

Oh, it's definitely '68 when you see it in context of the whole page, and other pages before and after.

More updates on JBY503J

Sounds like a nice bloke, and a good contact to have!

Nice Tippen Delta, thanks :-).

I've called the DVLA again this morning, and explained that I now have the original registration - they aren't very interested and insist I need to go down the re-registering with a new number route (V55/5), which I don't want to do (yet). Would also have to do a V112 for that as well (MOT exemption) as Zel and others have explained up-thread.

However, the nice lady did go on to say if you talk to your 'owners club' (in this case the invalid carriage register) they may be able to help. Well, they won't have any more information than I have, but are at least registered with the DVLA as a club.

I will then need Simon Mckeown of the ICR to fill in the V765...(the form to claim the old reg)

So the project will be a little stalled while I work this out. 

I may do some more cleaning and tidying, but I don't really want to spend any more money until I can get through the admin.