Invacar MK12 - New owner Mrs 6Cyl

egg

Crikey! There is another one of these (in better condition admittedly) on Ebay going for £300!

I reckon you did very well Egg.

Andy

as in an 11e engine, or an entire Invacar?!

He looks like a microcar licker - he has other 11e and microcar parts for sale...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/palino55/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

so when are we going to see you try and turn the engine over/start it?  :mrgreen:

(any luck freeing off any of the in cabin controls?)

Just the Villiers engine shroud

I think it's the scene tax. That one is from the same seller as the one I've just bought. But as a 9e - fits a lot of microcars that are very valuable. Whereas I think the 11e was only in the Invacars. And therefore has very little value!

so when are we going to see you try and turn the engine over/start it?  :mrgreen:

(any luck freeing off any of the in cabin controls?)

I've not been over to it for weeks because; reasons. Next job on the list is to try and free the brakes on the driven wheel with a hammer. Then I should be able to roll it about.

did it actually sell for £300 or is it just listed as such? I think £300 for an engine cowling is taking the piss slightly

its why when im checking ebay for how much something is worth, ill always check the "sold listings" tick box

so I can actually see what things sells for, because theres nothing stopping someone listing an argos catalog for £10K LOL

edit: I see the £300 engine cover is from the same seller egg got his 11e one from

yeah thats the microcar crowd for you!

(again one of the reasons im trying so hard to blag myself a Model 70 before they head that way!)

Good question Mr LBF! It's probably not that easy to fit with the engine in situ as it goes. But does come in two halves which would make it easier.

As to your question about what happened to the original Invacar it was attached to - I asked the seller who confirmed it was just part of a job lot of Bond microcar parts - so probably the IC went years ago...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 12:48 PM, egg said:

The engine cover has arrived. Looks ok. I could get it sand blasted in time.

IMG_20190504_100100.thumb.jpg.562bc4918df72528cd654898c4b5cbbd.jpglove

Oh, Fuck, that looks awfully like a piece of bent metal that used (possibly still is) in the back of the shed. Hopefully I scraped it 30 years ago, otherwise I'm going to be very, very, apologetic. 

• 1 month later...

just did a bit of DVLA bashing in regards to eggs Mk12 :)

it looks like there where 99 XWC-F invacars from XWC401F-XWC500F (XWC501-502F dont show up either, but knowing how invacars where registered I doubt those 2 where invacars)

sadly none show up on the DVLA at all however XWC400F and XWC503F do show up, which although are not invacars, do both have January 1968 as their registration dates, which lines up with the docs @egg managed to find :) (in that it says his Invacar, XWC468F was registered January 1968)

and as a side note I found a Later Mk12 that does still show up on the DVLA :)

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-ViewVehicle-2019-06-17-23_23_58.thumb.png.1ef18a6dbbba8f836cbf63752addbdbc.png

(its a bit sad really, with Model 70's when looking up a block, I just hope I can find one that survived until 2002ish or later so I can pull its chassis number, with anything Pre Model 70 tho, I just pray I can find one that still shows up on the DVLA at all LOL)

check it out another Mk12 that still shows up on the DVLA and this one I can pull up on the number plate to chassis number website I have one hand, I wonder if its a survivor somewhere? :)

LVX293J  is 92242

image.thumb.png.c82741870a73d9d41cbea14fd3e6cc73.png

(im still trying to make sense of the Not taxed for on road use thing, I have come across 3 Invacars with such Tax statuses, the other 2 being YVX206L and TEV673N, I was able to pull the Chassis number of YVX, but not of TEV, so go figure that one out)

(I wish there was a way to view tax history, so I could see when it was last taxed on road)

15 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

sadly none show up on the DVLA at all however XWC400F and XWC503F do show up, which although are not invacars, do both have January 1968 as their registration dates, which lines up with the docs @egg managed to find :) (in that it says his Invacar, XWC468F was registered January 1968)

Yes, XWC400F would have been the bottom of the previous page from the pages supplied to me by the Council.  Looks like that was a white 850cc Mini.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

the mystery continues https://cazana.com/uk/car/LVX293J

LVX293J is an Essex Reg (as id expect for an Invacar) but it shows up as being registered in Londonderry?! (unless there's somewhere in Essex also called Derry?) Hey @Datsuncog another Northern ireland invacar maybe LOL

Now that is an odd one...

1233045668_LVX293JInvacarModel70.png.a9a12fd901aeec6106c053d97f187e4d.png

Don't know whether it's been a typo, or someone's misread a database: possible it was brought over to NI and re-registered in the Derry office in the mid-2000s (same way I re-registered my Devon-plated Cortina to the Belfast DVLNI office, opting to keep the original registration number)?

How strange. Still, you're finding an extraordinary number of potential survivors through this method - if this one's on SORN, it maybe still survives. I'll be sure to put some feelers out, in case any local shiters have heard tell of an Invacar in the North-West...

39 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Now that is an odd one...

1233045668_LVX293JInvacarModel70.png.a9a12fd901aeec6106c053d97f187e4d.png

Don't know whether it's been a typo, or someone's misread a database: possible it was brought over to NI and re-registered in the Derry office in the mid-2000s (same way I re-registered my Devon-plated Cortina to the Belfast DVLNI office, opting to keep the original registration number)?

How strange. Still, you're finding an extraordinary number of potential survivors through this method - if this one's on SORN, it maybe still survives. I'll be sure to put some feelers out, in case any local shiters have heard tell of an Invacar in the North-West...

it's worth noting I can throw at pretty much all the "registration number goes in, some info comes out" websites that I keep on hand, and i will get some info out

usually if you have a car that's been dead for a long while, even if it shows up on the DVLA, it wont show up on one or 2 of these sites

however as I said some seem to have a different database for NI cars, and are able to pull up long dead/dormant NI cars that dont even show up on the DVLA checker, I wonder, if this car was exported to NI at some point but retained its original reg, that we are seeing a mash together or the DVLA and DVLNI databases?

(it's worth noting however, that it says its not been exported, however i dont know when the export marker was introduced or how it applies to cars sent to NI, I did notice in your scrap yard thread a few fair cars did have export markers)

could english cars be exported to NI in the 1970s/1980s and keep their original registration back then too?

and im still not exactly sure what "not taxed for on road use" means exactly LOL

(side note just to make sure it's clear, LVX293J is an Invacar Mk12E, or well it should be! LOL)

54 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

and im still not exactly sure what "not taxed for on road use" means exactly LOL

I think this means it is like some agricultural vehicles etc. Discussed here on AS in 2015 as it 'appens: 

31 minutes ago, egg said:

I think this means it is like some agricultural vehicles etc. Discussed here on AS in 2015 as it 'appens: 

indeed I had come across that post a couple times :) I dont think anyone in that thread is quite sure either, googling the phrase does not turn up much either

as a side note? at first I thought the "not taxed for on road use" kept a vehicle "fresh" so said vehicle showed up on all the sites still and I could pull its chassis number, however TEV673N despite being "not taxed for on road use" acts like a vehicle thats not been taxed since the 80s etc would act

(in that it does not show up on some 3rd party sites and I cant pull its chassis number with the website I have for that)

so I have no idea, I wonder if its worth calling the DVLA about, although knowing the DVLA they probably wont know either LOL

(but I do wonder since YVX206L and LVX293J are both "fresh" in that I can pull all their details across all the sites, I do wonder if they still survive or somewhere, or only died sometime in the early 2000s?)

• 1 month later...

Epic stuff! it looks to be in very decent shape, you must be one of the very few people these days to buy an an 11E for an actual invalid vehicle :) rather then ripping them out of said vehicles to stick in to motorcycles and what have you

did you confirm that the original engine is seized then?

I know most of the wheels where, but unless I missed it i dont recall anyone specifically trying to turn over the original engine?

4 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

did you confirm that the original engine is seized then?

I'm not absolutely sure. But the fact remains this is much better condition, to which I could add the 'bolt on' bits - the heat shield the fan cover and the fan itself.

Anyway - it reunites an 11e engine with an Invacar which is a good thing.

I'm waiting with everything crossed on the DVLA registration again at the mo.

The other thing to say is that those old tyres I have put on have cracked on the rear of the car. Probably from sitting. They will be fine for the ongoing resto*, but will need to be better for actual road use.

'Not taxed for on road use'.

This is because it wasn't taxed when the SORN was introduced and is therefore not required to have a SORN. Instead of saying the status of SORN it displays NOT TAXED FOR ON ROAD USE... because it can't have a SORN status for the reason above.

Tax it now, let the tax expire and it WILL be subjected to a SORN because it has expired AFTER the SORN was introduced.

That took me 4 minutes to find that out and makes perfect sense. Hope that helps. ?