Invacar MK12 - New owner Mrs 6Cyl

egg

I look forward to your visit to his place  :)

(considering how local the guy is, at some point ill have to drop by somehow)

Just got the PDF downloaded :) , for one all the pages are scanned in the right way round and are in order! LOL

and on the 1970-1971 manual it actually list the vehicle dimensions, for some reason its missing from the 69/70 one

if it is JBY503J do you know why he stuck it on JWC883C plates? was it just a jab at the picture of the one on fire, or to fit in with the 1966 or older theme?

I've had it confirmed it was purely to keep in with the 1966 theme!

I've had it confirmed it was purely to keep in with the 1966 theme!

hah cool :)

good to know which one that is finally :)

(If i wanted to be pedantic, its the wrong colour for 1966  :mrgreen: you would want a Mk12B in the darker blue and white colour scheme :) )

but yeah its very cool to see at least one Mk12 thats out and about :)

attachicon.gifCVkA4Fyw.jpeg

have a Picture of a Mk12 with its door open :)

also another one/Reg for the list, sadly does not show up on the DVLA

Wonder no more LBF - I know this thread is more talk and less action of late - but I have located and got in touch with the owner of HEV109H. Nice chap called Stefan, I believe located in the Netherlands - or at least that is where he bought the car!

Currently in storage, but a restoration is planned for next Winter. He has offered to check the chassis number for me. I have offered whatever help I can from over here.

post-20084-0-24675100-1554916949_thumb.jpg

Updated list of chassis numbers, remember this isn't just a survivors list, more of a way of trying to understand production figures in Thundersley.

Pre-MK12 Invacars:

• WVX 947 (Sept 1953) - chassis 20751

Updated list of MK12 chassis numbers:

• XGX 224 - 81618 museum of disability - Buffalo, USA 
  • NNO 246C (chassis unknown) October 1965 (Untaxed since 01/05/86)
  • PEV 627D - 84951 in February 1966 (Untaxed since 01/01/82) - ex-Stondon museum
  • WNO 55F (chassis unknown) August 67 - found by greengartside, last taxed May 78 - probably not an Invacar - but left on for now.
  • Q231 PVL  - 87188 8/9/1967 (the Model 70 with MK12 chassis details)
  • XWC 468F (built 1967, registered Jan '68) is 87862 mine!!
  • WOO 976F 88011 (November 1967)
  • HEV 109H (chassis unknown) located in the Netherlands
  • KWC 896J 91943 26/10/70 (Untaxed since 01/09/1993)
  • JBY 503J - 92199 in 14/12/1970 (currently taxed) - operational!

Very cool stuff! I wonder what HEV109Hs story is and how it got to the Netherlands!

dont worry about talk and no action, its pretty much my entire thread! I sadly dont own my invacar yet, and still my post is over 40 pages long  :mrgreen:

(Although I do look forward to seeing more work being done on your Mk12 :) prolly worth seeing if the engine will run soon!)

Today some interesting times were had.

The Mondy was left at the station.

post-20084-0-08681500-1555169244_thumb.jpg

I rode the 'Victoria Pendleton' high speed train to Londinium

post-20084-0-23439900-1555169289_thumb.jpg

I got on the tube to metroland (the mythical Zone 7)

post-20084-0-21569600-1555169350_thumb.jpg

I arrived deep in suburbia. I saw something of note.

post-20084-0-84858800-1555169659_thumb.jpg

I drove it a bit. It was difficult and I was a bit scareds. However, poo count remained at zero.

Much Invacar chat was had, about controls and stuff. I learnt a lot. Most of it going to be useful to me. I wish I'd written it all down.

post-20084-0-27257500-1555169473_thumb.jpg

I bid the top gent farewell and repeated the journey home.

A great day, and quite inspiring to get mine working - owner believes his is the only one, so would be great to double it. I'll do some nerdish stuff about differences between the MK12c (mine) and MK12e (this car) later.

Today some interesting times were had.

The Mondy was left at the station.

attachicon.gifDSCF9717.JPG

I rode the 'Victoria Pendleton' high speed train to Londinium

attachicon.gifDSCF9718.JPG

I got on the tube to metroland (the mythical Zone 7)

attachicon.gifDSCF9720.JPG

I arrived deep in suburbia. I saw something of note.

attachicon.gifDSCF9746.JPG

I drove it a bit. It was difficult and I was a bit scareds. However, poo count remained at zero.

Much Invacar chat was had, about controls and stuff. I learnt a lot. Most of it going to be useful to me. I wish I'd written it all down.

attachicon.gifDSCF9729.JPG

I bid the top gent farewell and repeated the journey home.

A great day, and quite inspiring to get mine working - owner believes his is the only one, so would be great to double it. I'll do some nerdish stuff about differences between the MK12c (mine) and MK12e (this car) later.

Oh very cool! Wish I could of been there  :mrgreen:

looking forward to hearing more :)

right off the batt I noticed the little curtesy light is absent on the Mk12e...

(did the owner squeeze into the cab with you, or where you let out on your own? :) and did you hang L plates on it for Maximum Scaring/confusing the public points? :mrgreen: )

Out on my own from the off! Just a little ride out in first gear. It takes a real knack to drive. Progressively releasing a hand clutch while turning the accelerator anti clockwise is, well, tricky.

The courtesy light is a different sort wired up above the front screen. There are a myriad of improvements/changes - just like BMW, Invacar clearly had a policy of constant improvement ;-)

Here's some.

Seat mechanism looks smoother and more reliable, no longer dependent on a pin that releases on to the floor, like mine.

post-20084-0-75828000-1555174381_thumb.jpg

There is extra strengthening metal to hold the seat belt on (a precursor of the Model 70 roll-cage?)

post-20084-0-22863900-1555174433_thumb.jpg

This looks different, a strengthening pole under the front of the car

post-20084-0-20735200-1555174472_thumb.jpg

The fuel arrangement is more sophisticated* and a larger tank is there, with a reserve tank option.

post-20084-0-86851200-1555174522_thumb.jpg

The owner has wired in a solenoid to stop the fuel dripping when turned off and flooding the carb.

post-20084-0-03108000-1555174593_thumb.jpg

I don't think I have these drain holes to prevent water sitting on the window runner.

post-20084-0-79380200-1555174632_thumb.jpg

His has the wheelchair storage bracket fitted.

post-20084-0-52198000-1555174704_thumb.jpg

The wiper motor under the dash looks different to mine, unless mine is just missing...

post-20084-0-48670500-1555174750_thumb.jpg

And so on...

oh very cool stuff!

its interesting to note the wheel chair clamps, its something the Model 70s does not have curiously

(although given how adaptable Invacars where, id not be surprised if you requested, some DHSS fitter could weld one in or something)

interesting (well to me it is at least!) to note how it has the same style/pattern rubber mating as Model 70s iv seen :)

the drive should also give you some idea on how your one is meant to handle for when it hits the road, so you can easily tell if something is amiss etc :)

do you know how the owner does the whole 2 stroke aspect of it? (does he mix it up himself or has he found the 1 petrol station selling premix still?)

Apparently you can get a good match for the carpet from Woolies trim. One question I didn't ask was about fuel.

He does commute in it for work some days. It is used as a car, an occasional car, but a car nonetheless.  And furthest he has been in it is to Oxford and back. It went to Goodwood on a trailer.

You wanna see some more? Here is the Dynastart gubbins. Owner's theory that the invacar on fire picture was a result of something shorting out here.

post-20084-0-12388100-1555176723_thumb.jpg

The door has a water drain system too (I have the little bit of pipe, but had no idea what it was for, seeing as I don't have a door!)

post-20084-0-07231400-1555176836_thumb.jpg

He was kind enough to print and staple me a copy of the user manual

post-20084-0-13211900-1555176888_thumb.jpg

Have a full engine shot. It has almost never let him down reliability wise. It has less than 8,000 miles on it.

post-20084-0-76897600-1555176952_thumb.jpg

He has met Stuart and also bought replacement Hubcaps from Big Al.

very cool that he actually does use it from time to time :) (I wonder what his personal story behind it is, did he have a fond memory of Invacars, or just saw it for sale and decided "fuck yeah that looks awesome!"? :) )

must of been fun when he turned up to work in it for the first time  :mrgreen:

I wonder how effective that drain actually is considering how the door seems to be Mk12s one weak spot! (I guess the tube could get blocked with gunk)

how many miles did it have when he got it vs how many it has now?

Haha, question then arises, since its still in the netherlands? what happened to the owner!

(reminds me of the section of GTA5 where trevor takes over a local strip club and then dumps that redneck cousin in there for the rest of the game)

Looking at the MOT history, back in 2006 it had less than 5,000 - so he's done a good 3k or so in it.

I think he bought on a whim, but clearly has no intention of parting with it.

yeah not bad at all :)

I do wonder if the Odo is original or if its been round the clock!

less then 5K is very low milage, that being said, TPA only has 11K on her and there was another in that field of Model 70s with just 7K on the clock IIRC

so who knows!

how was steering on JBY503J did you use one hand or both hands on the tiller?

how was steering on JBY503J did you use one hand or both hands on the tiller?

A bit of both, being able bodied, if you aren't changing gears, it's kind of hard to know what to do with your right hand, the natural tendency is to end up with both hands on the tiller, which doesn't quite work or feel right. That needs practice. Turning circle is larger than you'd imagine for such a small car.

He reckons top speed is just over 40. Up hills 15-20, a bit like TWC on the old pulleys.

Part of what makes it nerve wracking to drive, is that - this is the only working one! I mean it's not like Ian driving an early e-type worth ££££, but still - you get the 'for gods sake don't crash it' mantra in your head.

Wiper is pretty effective in covering most of the screen, and his screen wash works, wired up from a non-original bottle, as like mine the original one has broken.

an invacar is "worth" more to me than an E Type! so i understand what your saying!

(I wouldn't pay however much an E type is worth for an invacar, but, a few people have asked me "what would you do with *insert object/car worth £££ here* " and I just say Sell it and use the proceeds to buy what I actually want which throws quite a few people for a loop!  :mrgreen: )

Yeah Top Speed sounds about right given the Mk12c brochure says 45Mph is the top speed

owner is an utter mad man for achieving it  :mrgreen:

did you get any confused/WTF is that looks from the public while out n about, or are the people there used to it? :)

did you get any confused/WTF is that looks from the public while out n about, or are the people there used to it? :)

A few! But he lives on a very quiet road, which meant tootling up and down was mainly between parked cars rather than dealing with traffic. The two cars I did meet pulled over to let me through straight away...

Cool stuff :) is the gearbox synchromesh? I cant imagine trying to double de-clutch LOL

heres a fun one, iv mentioned how stuart was able to reclaim the reg for his Peel P50, well I was checking it on the DVLA again where i had realised id forgotten about this funny little thing that happened when he did

post-25614-0-83167800-1555268532_thumb.png

first registered in 2017, but untaxed since 1998!  :mrgreen:  IIRC this is something to do with the fact in 1998 they introduced continuous sorn/tax (I think stuart has not taxed it as its still off the road atm)

it will be interesting to see what your Mk12 shows up as :)

Nice bit of DVLA database madness!

yeah, no progress on the registration front. I have left my phone number with Simon, but I don't have his - so until he is registered with the DVLA and speaks to me, I'm a bit stuck. Unless I just register it with any old age related plate - but that's not the point of this project...

I don't think double de-clutching is necessary...

• 2 weeks later...

My new mate in Rickmansworth just sent me a link to a buy it now listing on ebay - the missing heating shroud for my Villiers 11e engine (this ensures cool air from the fan is redirected back over the cylinder). £30 posted, and it's mine.

Only concern is that the seller has identified it correctly, but it looks right.

Particularly as it has what looks like Ice blue Invacar paint on it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

My new mate in Rickmansworth just sent me a link to a buy it now auction on ebay - the missing heating shroud for my Villiers 11e engine (this ensures cool air from the fan is redirected back over the cylinder). £30 posted, and it's mine.

Only concern is that the seller has identified it correctly, but it looks right.

Particularly as it has what looks like Ice blue Invacar paint on it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

very cool stuff!

happy to see work is continuing, I was wondering how you where getting on with it :)

as always I do wonder where did it come from exactly, and happened to the invacar it came off of?

might be worth asking the seller such in case he has an invacar in his garage too or something?  :mrgreen: