Invacar MK12 - New owner Mrs 6Cyl

egg

1 hour ago, egg said:

yeah, thanks for the heads-up LBF, I know you're always on top of anything that comes up. Hopefully when you get your licence you can come and have a look at my one sometime.

No problem :) (it will be interesting to see just how ancient the tyres are LOL)

indeed I very much look forward to/plan to do that! (I have not seen an Invacar Mk12 in person yet, just Model 70's and 1 Model 57)

BTW for completeness sake theres another villiers engine thats been for sale for a while now, for £LOL https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312870581371

I bet reconnecting those all black dynastart wires is going to be fun*

(I think they normally go for about £200-250 based on one I saw barry list a while back but after you got you spare one, so you got quite a good deal on that one :) )

it does remind me, does the steering work/move on XWC? I cant recall you saying either if it did or did not work when you first got her

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Not sure if there are any shared suspension/brake components etc on this which might be of use to you?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Trailer-Made-From-1967-AC-Invacar-64-MK4/324053138563?pageci=b226f2ec-1d12-4d9a-a327-6374619e7c67

sadly I dont believe the AC Model 64 and Invacar Mk12 to share any common major parts

(just quickly checking the spare parts list I can see they use different shocks for example)

the wheels would be good for @egg tho :) but thats about it sadly

id still love to see it saved/bought by someone on here!

the AC Model 64 and Invacar Mk12 are 2 completely different vehicles

heres an AC Model 64,  (the Model 64 was an electric version, built on request of the MoH, of the Model 57 AC Acedes, sadly only 3 Model 64's are known to survive)

s-l1600 (2) copy 3.jpg

and here is an Invacar Mk12 :) 

PEV627D.thumb.jpg.7f41af54bae19398c28f3a9024aca41d.jpg

4 hours ago, mk2_craig said:

That trailer is ace!! Grab the chassis plate and do another local office records search to work out the reg mark, then apply for the V5 just for fun. 

sadly AFAIK Surry destroyed all their vehicle register info and most AC Invalid vehicles where surry registried (Invacars were registered in Essex, who thankfully still have all their vehicle register info)

however through lots of DVLA bashing and work on my end, I was able to figure out what its registration was :) 

sadly it does not show up on the DVLA checker, but I agree it would be fun to apply for the V5, its a good candidate to test just what does the DVLA have archived away etc

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

sadly it does not show up on the DVLA checker, but I agree it would be fun to apply for the V5, its a good candidate to test just what does the DVLA have archived away etc

So if some daft fucker put a bid in and won, who's going to collect it and how are we getting it to somewhere secure?

28 minutes ago, egg said:

It's a long way from you BH, do you really want it!

I have neither the need for it, or surprisingly, given I've 6 vehicles, any fitted with a towing eye. But it would be novelty value and it is a bit of British history (my grandfather had one is why I show any interest) that really needs preserving. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

@busmansholiday I'm wondering if the trailer would fit in my lock-up if I pushed (dragged) my invacar to the front or to one side and we put the trailer either on it's side or nose up?

post-20084-0-32294600-1550079631.thumb.jpg.910801f61d4d0836272a8657a11dde96.jpg

my concern apart from will it fit, is that you wont be left with any space left to work on getting your Invacar back on the road

depends how much you want to embrace the good old motto of "grab first worry about the details later"  :) 

19 minutes ago, egg said:

@busmansholiday I'm wondering if the trailer would fit in my lock-up if I pushed (dragged) my invacar to the front or to one side and we put the trailer either on it's side or nose up?

You know what needs to happen if you do get it. Towbar on the Mk12 and drag the trailer behind it :) Now that would be a sight to see but for a few serious problems:

1. Where on earth would you find a towbar to fit an Invacar?

2. How much weight is it allowed to tow? Almost certainly none.

3. Would the little Villiers engine have enough power to drag the Invacar and the trailer along?

12 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

You know what needs to happen if you do get it. Towbar on the Mk12 and drag the trailer behind it :) Now that would be a sight to see but for a few serious problems:

1. Where on earth would you find a towbar to fit an Invacar?

2. How much weight is it allowed to tow? Almost certainly none.

3. Would the little Villiers engine have enough power to drag the Invacar and the trailer along?

well Mk12's do have a rather long outrigger at the back of the chassis behind the rear wheels you could probably quite easily attach a tow bar to!

23379883_356277881451423_4215462016629672379_n.jpg

and if you have an AC Acedes Mk15 or Invacar Mk12E, then stick it in reverse and use the towing eye on the front they have :mrgreen: (or push it home going forward!)

thats what this is BTW :) 

DSCF9741.JPG

On 27 March 2019 at 12:14 PM, egg said:

Also, that 'X'WC meant we weren't that far away from having a second TWC ;-). As it is the plate doesn't lend itself to naming it... :-D

I have an MWC, so leaving the M off and including the P suffix, she got named Leak. :)

On 15 August 2019 at 4:51 PM, LightBulbFun said:

but you only need to worry about that when you come to tax her, otherwise you can just SORN her and not worry about it

I assume it is different for disabled tax class then? I have tried and failed to SORN vehicles I have purchased with the PLG (I think) tax class. I think they are unable (God knows why) to transfer a vehicle record from the old to the new system until you tax it.

DVLA even send you a letter telling you to ignore their letter(s) telling you to SORN it or face a fine!

I wonder if the tax class NTfORU is for vehicles that weren't wiped off the new system when they upgraded?

On 11 September 2019 at 12:07 PM, egg said:

Yes, but this can be updated right? I'll have to send the new V5 back to them again anyway to get MOT exemption in theory anyway. 

Don't make the mistake of assuming you can use common sense or logic with DVLA. ;)

They can't handle more than one correction at a time for example so trying to amend two to three wheel vehicle whilst changing tax clas is bound to result in pain. :(

1 hour ago, keef said:

I assume it is different for disabled tax class then? I have tried and failed to SORN vehicles I have purchased with the PLG (I think) tax class. I think they are unable (God knows why) to transfer a vehicle record from the old to the new system until you tax it.

nah its like that regardless of Taxation class

if a vehicle has been untaxed since before 1998 or so, then you have to tax it again to SORN it

but its safe to just leave it untaxed as you say

but you cant directly SORN it if you wanted to for some reason

5 minutes ago, keef said:

Except in this case! ;)

Nah @egg did try to SORN it while it was "tax due 1st August 1980" but it did not work

until he changed the taxation class to historic vehicle, and when you do so the post office have to tax it for you to change the taxation class, and since it was taxed, (and therefore dragged into modern times) he then was able to SORN it :) 

7 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Nah @egg did try to SORN it while it was "tax due 1st August 1980" but it did not work

until he changed the taxation class to historic vehicle, and when you do so the post office have to tax it for you to change the taxation class, and since it was taxed, (and therefore dragged into modern times) he then was able to SORN it :) 

I assume Egg made the mistake of believing DVLA when they confirmed SORN, only to get a letter saying it wasn't? I've had that before! :(

2 minutes ago, keef said:

I assume Egg made the mistake of believing DVLA when they confirmed SORN, only to get a letter saying it wasn't? I've had that before! :(

indeed! it seems like it was an automated message regardless of what actually happens, or just an improperly setup system! it never actually got SORNed

its the DVLA what do ya expect LOL