Invacar MK12 - New owner Mrs 6Cyl

egg

33 minutes ago, egg said:

1 previous owner M8. Do I SORN now or change the tax class first?

IMG_20190928_134337.thumb.jpg.9f1e3cb7620707cc2a2ffaaf01610ce5.jpg

Much woohoo! 

finally after all the effort you finally have a V5 for it in your hands :), quite a feat when all we started out with was a Chassis number and nothing else! its a good testament to the spirit of autoshite :) 

Im quite surprised that there is "1 previous owner" I figured you would of been the first owner on the V5 scheme (Owner counts from buff log books did not carry over from what I understand) Its a shame previous owner details are no longer included id be quite curious to know who it was!

when a vehicle has been untaxed for so long like XWC I dont think you can SORN it but at the same time you wont get done for no tax I dont think, so you dont have to worry about that, (I know this is the case with KPL139P for example) but you can still try and SORN it online wont do any harm!, up to you really on if you want to change the tax class now or not, with REV im personally waiting until she is on the road before I change the Tax class from Disabled to Historic :) (so currently she is SORN under the disabled tax class)

27 minutes ago, egg said:

Well only two wheels turn, lol ;-). Lots of info to change...

remember only change the existing info thats wrong, I would not try and add info that's not there in the first place, you dont want to confuse the DVLA too much!

from what I can see there heres what id do:

"Cylinder capacity: 197cc"

"wheelplan: 3-wheel"

and engine number id put whichever engine you end up getting her/him/it running/going with (hopefully the original engine :) )

as a side note, its interesting how Revenue weight is not listed, I wonder if its like that for all Mk12's or just because yours is a special case? (also note that year of manufacture is not actually listed on the V5!)

17 minutes ago, egg said:

If I do SORN it..shit, someone's not taxed this car for 39 years, lol

1669262711_Screenshot_20190928-1401172.thumb.png.7605b69a52dac8587bd61a94f0443764.png

im curious if you could actually Tax it online rather then SORN it, despite the "Disabled" tax class, although who knows if you would then get done for no insurance or not! (for some reason I thought when you went to tax a vehicle classed as Disabled you needed to present proof of your disability or something such, however I do know Fraser taxed his Mobility scooter thing online so go figure!)

(I plan on trying with REV just purely as a case study before I change her to Historic) it seems almost a shame to change the tax class thats been the same since the vehicles inception, ah well LOL

its a shame I dont have a way of checking what tax class a vehicle is, from online, I wonder how many Model 70's etc are running around still as "Disabled" LOL

28 minutes ago, egg said:

I think I could tax it, I have got part way through the process and it has confirmed £0.00. But, I personally feel uncomfortable doing that. 

But, I have successfully SORN'D it :-)

yeah I understand, interesting that you were able to get that far tho :)  (I always like figuring out what you can and cant do/get away with such systems like the DVLA, just from a purely "curiosity killed the cat" POV!)

very interesting to see that they let you SORN it, now to stalk the DVLA once more for it to update :) 

its interesting how the engine number is "NOT KN0WN"  while I have seen this for mobility scooters and other such Q plate or obscure vehicles

from the Model 70 side of things etc from what I have seen when the engine number was not in the V5 that section was just blank

it sort of makes me wonder if someone at the DVLA manually filled in your V5 from their DVLC records/the Essex records (hence the 2-wheel/1000cc weirdness) but given they seemingly had tax/tax class info and knew the body type who knows!

and since you or anything else never actually provided an engine number (or revenue weight) it was just put down as "NOT KN0WN" (its interesting how the first O is an O I think usually Is and Os get transcribed as 1's and 0's when it comes to engine and VIN numbers)

(unless you did send them this picture?)

post-25614-0-72090800-1549555150.jpg

When I had the R6 I sent a letter with the V5 advising the DVLA that I wanted to SORN it.  From memory (could trawl through the build thread but cba) they said it wasn't required but that they would update their records so that when I came to tax the car, it wouldn't be a problem.  It may be slightly different again in your case since it's on disabled tax and I assume you'll be wanting to put it on regular, though of course it's exempt so it doesn't really matter anyway?

30 minutes ago, 500tops said:

I can't tell you how happy I am to see the documentation. All that hard work and perseverance has finally paid off! 

Now it's resurrection can truly commence! ?

very much so! esp given the amount of effort its taken to get the V5 you cant back out now! :mrgreen:

so how many weeks did it take from the V62 to the V5 then, is it record for longest V62 application? LOL 

(its probably worth doing the info changes with/when you do the the Tax class change since they take your V5 for that IIRC)

Na, I'm going to take the chassis plate off and sell it as a ringing kit on eBay (just joking LBF, just joking!!). Although it must be said, that would be very easy to do.

I didn't give them the engine number as that does mean I can swap easily enough - although again, it would be relatively easy to swap the riveted plate. Not sure 'matching numbers' is really an Invacar thing though, seeing as how they were regularly cannibalised in service.

The second V62 application went in the first week of July - yes, so it's been a while. Almost 3 months.

I think I should be able to do the info changes and tax class at the same time as you suggest - though always scope for admin confusion (I need to complete a V112 for MOT exemption as part of that too). It will be changed to historic tax.

That's the question though, what next?

18 hours ago, egg said:

Not sure 'matching numbers' is really an Invacar thing though, seeing as how they were regularly cannibalised in service.

I would say if it has matching numbers then it would be all the more important to preserve that when it comes to Invacars given how in service things were swapped around on a lot or so they say!

funnily enough I think every Invacar I have dealt with so far has had its original engine or did until the whole Model 70 engine marry go round started on here, well i'm STILL waiting to find out to see if TWC's "original" engine matches whats on her VIN plate, its only been 6 months since I initially asked @dollywobbler for TWCs original engine's engine number LOL but going how TWCs original engine is of the early Oil filter type im inclined to think it was original to TWC725K

although there is no engine number on the Chassis plate for the mk12 IIRC, so no way of knowing if the engine in yours is original, but it was stuck up a tree with the car for who knows how many years it would be a shame to seperate them now LOL

18 hours ago, egg said:

That's the question though, what next?

I would say, try get the original engine turning over and started, that would be a nice little morral booster in itself :) 

and then from there I would look at what work the chassis needs' there's no point fixing the body up if your chassis just snaps in half like a stick of spaghetti when you hit your first speed bump! (remember the body on these needs the chassis for support)

Tried to change the tax class at (an admittedly rural single-hander) post-office today.

They didn't know how, lol. We went through some menu screens, no obvious options.

I think I'll see if they know how at the Herne Bay branch or I'll be on the blower to Swansea again...

25 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

I think you change class and tax it in one go, so you might be better just leaving it SORN...

Ah ok, she seemed to be trying to tax it - and I guess further down that route would have been the option to change class. OK, as 6cyl mentions, that needs insurance - so you're right - best to hold off for now. This link isn't explicit about changing class causing car to be taxed, but why should it be, it's not normal procedure?

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/apply-for-vehicle-tax-exemption

56 minutes ago, egg said:

Tried to change the tax class at (an admittedly rural single-hander) post-office today.

They didn't know how, lol. We went through some menu screens, no obvious options.

I think I'll see if they know how at the Herne Bay branch or I'll be on the blower to Swansea again...

The post office I use has two handlers, one knows how to do it (I have done a few)  the other was stumped but luckily the first one came in and helped her find the screen.

Remember even if you manage to get it taxed, if you don't have insurance you will get in trouble. It does not show on the insurance Database.

from what I understand it really should just be a case of

"here's a V112 and the V5 for my Historic vehicle please change it to historic tax class for me" it should not really matter what the vehicle is etc, so I think its just a case of the post office clark not quite knowing how to use their own system!

I know thats what @Zelandeth did

id also not worry about it getting taxed, as long as you SORN it within reason I imagine they will not take you down for no insurance or anything such :) 

also keep in mind Mobility scooters dont need any insurance and remember how mobility scooters are classed as "invalid vehicle" on the V5, and as a "bonus" you dont have a revenue weight listed on the V5

so I do wonder if the DVLA think its a mobility scooter LOL, so you might be able to use that to your advantage here!

hell they thought/think REV is one, and she clearly has her revenue weight of 413Kg listed on the V5 (reading the history file it looks like it was taxed for a good couple years by the DVLA and then suddenly John the owner got a nasty "your not insured m8" letter Randomly in the post, and then he had to battle with incompetent people to get it SORN again)

so it seems like the DVLA has no fucking clue, which is to sadly be expected! (or maybe mobility scooter users also got that nasty letter accidently? who knows)

image.thumb.png.332da3e5939ecc8da0d4a96cde78559a.png

(tbh for all I know they could think all Invacars are mobility scooters! depends if they look at the revenue weight anymore!)

Oh, no insurance online checkers recognise the reg - surprise, surprise, so I guess I need to phone up about that as well. Who is likely to be most Invacar friendly? Bearing in mind I don't currently have a classic policy at all as my other cars are on standard policies for business use.

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I just spoke to Rachel of Swansea.

She says you can't stay SORN and change tax class.

So I will stop worrying about that and focus on trying to do stuff to the car!

However, it's easier when I'm out about for work to do admin....

When I changed the MGs to Historic they were all SORN at the time. I simply rocked up to my local PO, handed over the log book and said can you change these please.

Did it there and then (the lass behind the counter didn't bat an eyelid), no extra forms, just pointed out they would all come back taxed so I'd have to SORN them again when the log book arrived.

15 minutes ago, egg said:

Oh, no insurance online checkers recognise the reg - surprise, surprise, so I guess I need to phone up about that as well. Who is likely to be most Invacar friendly? Bearing in mind I don't currently have a classic policy at all as my other cars are on standard policies for business use.

well since you have a normal car on a normal policy, (and are over 25!) I imagine it would not be too hard to get a Classic policy with Hagerty

thats who @Zelandeth and @dollywobbler are with for their Model 70's

I know also Footman James looks like they may cover Invacars from when I called them up about insuring REV (but I could not get a quote because I have not held a full driving licence for a year yet)

(although the lady put me on hold quite a few times, I like to imagine that she was asking the 1 old bloke in the office "wtf is an Invacar?!" :mrgreen:)

apart from being obscure as all hell these days, insuring an Invacar is no different than insuring any other classic/historic vehicle

the specific issue I personally face is im under 25 and my Model 70 is my only vehicle, I don't have a Normal car on a normal policy or such like that I can use to "chain load" a classic policy off of, so yeah figuring that out when the times comes is going to be "interesting" to say the least!

(and while im not adverse to insuring REV via a normal car policy, I dont think any normal car insurance places would touch an invacar!)

on the whole Tax/SORN thing, when Zel did the motions with TPA, she ended up getting taxed but then suddenly SORNed,

its turns out that happened is Zel applied for a SORN with the V62 he sent in for TPA, but it didn't kick in until Zel changed the tax class and as such it got taxed for the first time in 18 years or so

since I know you have applied for a SORN with XWC, might be worth keeping an eye on when you change the tax class etc

https://autoshite.com/topic/29443-zels-motoring-adventureslada-citroen-mercedes-ac-model-70-2709-nothing-major-to-report/?do=findComment&comment=1719057

(as mentioned previously it seems like when a vehicle has been untaxed for so long, you cant SORN it etc, you have to tax it then SORN it, but at the same time you can just leave it untaxed until you are ready to do so)

24 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

(as mentioned previously it seems like when a vehicle has been untaxed for so long, you cant SORN it etc, you have to tax it then SORN it, but at the same time you can just leave it untaxed until you are ready to do so)

When I got a new V5 for Bob the Renault, which has been off the road since 1993, it came with the standard PLG taxation class.
I SORNed it online and it was accepted. I even received a confirmation email from the DVLA.
About a week later I received a threatening letter from them saying that I would be fined if I did not either tax or SORN it.
Went online and SORNed it again. Got another confirmation email.
About a week later I received  the same threatening letter from them again.
Emailed DVLA to ask what was going on and was told that because the car had been off the road since before SORN was introduced it could not be SORNed until it had been retaxed. They also said that I could not change the taxation class to historic vehicle until it was retaxed. I asked them what I needed to do to stop the threatening letters and was assured there would be no more, which there haven't been.
My plan is therefore to leave everything as is until it is roadworthy again, then tax it, change to historic and verify its MoT exemption all at the same time.

image.thumb.png.3a617c2debb172111bb9be45806d9113.png

Thanks, I decided to crack on with this so have now insured with Hagerty (laid up cover, vehicle under restoration) for £72.69

I want to get this sorted for reasons Slowsilver sets out.

Best insurance question 'is this a back up vehicle in the event of your main car being unavailable" lol

25 minutes ago, egg said:

Best insurance question 'is this a back up vehicle in the event of your main car being unavailable" lol

well this IS autoshite so I can fully see you ending up dailying it to work when the rest of your fleet is playing up :mrgreen: (I think that happened to @Zelandeth at one point where TPA was his only fully functioning vehicle for a short while LOL)

I think the most amusing question I got asked when feeling up a quote for REV was:

"is it right or left hand drive"

"uhh erm..."

or as I think @Slowsilver said:

"is it right or left hand drive"

"No" 

LOL!