Invacar MK12 - New owner Mrs 6Cyl

egg

I've now got a quote for £195 for the full journey to Whitstable from an Ipswich based courier with 43 out of 44 positive feedback.

The biggest problem about using a courier, is actually finding a way of paying the yard if their banking is up the creek.

A lot of Lutons are sub-3.5 tonne GVW and can therefore be driven on your licence.  You don't need a massive Luton to transport an Invacar...  Only problem is that tail lifts tend to be wider than they are long, and an Invacar might be longer than the length of the ramp, if that makes sense.  It would go on sideways, but then you'd have to get it into the van sideways too, which could be interesting.

How easy it will be to load / unload will depend largely on whether the wheels turn or not - if they do you could rig up some ramps using decking planks or whatever and roll it off.  If not, four blokes should be able to lift it out.

I've now got a quote for £195 for the full journey to Whitstable from an Ipswich based courier with 43 out of 44 positive feedback.

The biggest problem about using a courier, is actually finding a way of paying the yard if their banking is up the creek.

Paypal? Then at least they've got the money ready to tramsfer when their banking issues are sorted.

Bear in mind though that most modern 3.5-tonne beavertails don't have a solid bed, they have two separate ramps with a gap between them.  This keeps the unladen weight down and thus the payload up, but is not ideal for transporting a 3-wheeler.

Ah my local one is a full bed mk6 Transit, got to be worth checking your local out?

Ours is £85 for the day, that plus diesel is cheaper than Shipley and you get to have fun driving a beaver tail!

Well, I've just told Mrs Egg, and it was more shrug of resigned acceptance than anything else.

I have made contact with one of the couriers (Jareck) who says he could do the full journey Wednesday morning for £195 to Whitstable.

So only barriers are:

- me being able to pay for it so the yard can let it go

- the yard changing their mind

- them not actually getting their act together and moving it

- me getting the Mondeo taxed and out of the garage.

Many possible things could go wrong. I may still need the generous help of our East Anglian crew, but as of this Sunday afternoon there is a plan.

sounds like a plan :)

my only thing to add is, are you able to ride along with the courier?

because with something like this, id think it would be good to personally be there so you can make sure no more bits go missing

and also so you have a chance to scope around the yard and see if you can find the door or any other bits :)

(or if you cant go along, can anyone else here go along?)

Hah to the dental appointment  :mrgreen:

shame about the door, I imagine since it was made out of steel and had some scrap value it was probably ripped off at some point and thrown into the scrap steel bin sadly

if you cant find a door, you could run arround pretending your a really small FX3 London Taxi :)

£195 isn't bad really for that distance.  I was working it out the other day and by the time you factor in diesel, something to eat and 2x Dartford crossings, it'd be £100 just in fixed costs.  Unless Jarek's conveyance of choice is a lot more economical than my LDV, of course - some of these modern vans are supposed to do daft mpg.

£195 isn't bad really for that distance. I was working it out the other day and by the time you factor in diesel, something to eat and 2x Dartford crossings, it'd be £100 just in fixed costs. Unless Jarek's conveyance of choice is a lot more economical than my LDV, of course - some of these modern vans are supposed to do daft mpg.

I was horrified at the MPG on that transit I borrowed last week. Just scraped 27 there and 26 back. Perhaps I was dreaming, but I thought - unladen - early/mid 30s should have been easy.

Oh well!

I was horrified at the MPG on that transit I borrowed last week. Just scraped 27 there and 26 back. Perhaps I was dreaming, but I thought - unladen - early/mid 30s should have been easy.

Oh well!

That does sound pretty crap. Our VW Crafter Minibuses generally average 22-24mpg, our Peugeot Boxers more like 28-30, and it's not exactly motorway cruising around here. I'm sure I got somewhere near 20mpg with the 7.5 tonner when I collected the Invacars. Didn't use anywhere near as much fuel as I expected! 

£195 isn't bad really for that distance. I was working it out the other day and by the time you factor in diesel, something to eat and 2x Dartford crossings, it'd be £100 just in fixed costs. Unless Jarek's conveyance of choice is a lot more economical than my LDV, of course - some of these modern vans are supposed to do daft mpg.

Chances of Jareks steed of choice being a merc sprinter with a 2 car bed and triple axle trailer with another 3 cars on it behind, fair to good, chance of cherry in the tank - check, foreign registered to avoid tax, test & insurance - triple check.

Good job there's only camera enforcement these days.

Oh well!

I was horrified when I realized I was getting the same mpg from a 2.0 pinto as a modern turbo diesel in a transit jumbo.