Invacar MK12 - New owner Mrs 6Cyl

egg

A sit rep for those involved, and anyone else who is interested....

• I've been paid for the car, thanks. I'm going to meet @Wingz123 at the lock-up first thing tomorrow morning so it can be delivered to @BlankFrank.
  • I'm going to take a number of parts I have at home over to the lock-up today (via an essential shopping trip, naturally!) and to ensure the parts that have come off the vehicle are secure and boxed up or whatever.
  • @RobT - I think I have a can half full of dizzle that belongs to you over there!  I'll bring that back with me.
  • It's too much of a stretch for Wingz to also pick up the two wheels that are with @inconsistant at the moment, but the car does actually have 3 wheels at the mo! This will have to be arranged via a future shitely, probably post lock-down.
  • @BlankFrank - if you are around tomorrow I can give you a call to go through the V5 information related to the sale? Let me know if there is a good time.
  • Then I just need to cancel the 'laid-up' insurance I have for it, and give notice (I think it's just a week) on the lock-up - god knows how I'll return the keys to the Council though...

Thanks everyone for your help, now and in the past on this project. 

Good to know whats happening regarding the Mk12 :) 

20 minutes ago, egg said:
  • @BlankFrank - if you are around tomorrow I can give you a call to go through the V5 information related to the sale? Let me know if there is a good time.

one thing I advise is to try and do the keeper change online, this way either you or @BlankFrank can keep the then old V5c for the history file or such like :) 

its how i was able to keep the last V5 REV had issued to her before I took ownership :) 

out of curiosity @BlankFrank whats your plan for XWC? is there anything specific planned out/in mind or is it just a general idea of get it running/fixed up and on the road? :) 

@BlankFrank profile says you are located in bucks? 

I dropped the wheels off with @inconsistantwhen I had been to my mates place local to him, I will be doing this journey again after lockdown eases up. So happy for collect them and bring them back to Dunstable and transport them somewhere closer to bucks area when I'm next over that way.

1 hour ago, inconsistant said:

The wheels and guitar are being good as gold here so no rush to move them on, Whatever is most convenient for you all suits me fine. 

If you were able to meet bang on j6 tomorrow morning I could grab it off you but I'm getting to @egg for 7am so 7am would be quite early.... also coming back I will more than likely be coming the opposite way round the m25 dartford crossing way.....

4 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

If you were able to meet bang on j6 tomorrow morning I could grab it off you but I'm getting to @egg for 7am so 7am would be quite early.... also coming back I will more than likely be coming the opposite way round the m25 dartford crossing way.....

What time? If Egg/Ben is Herne Bay, that's an hour from here, so 6.am? Shall we say 6am at the red circle?

413696902_ScreenShot2020-04-29at17_07_24.thumb.png.32cfdc9ea4276abfbadd492fd8a23696.png

Just a few other notes for @BlankFrank as he doesn't yet have the PM facilities

- The main man for Villiers parts appears to be Steve at Villiers Services: https://villiersservices.co.uk/

- @LightBulbFun has the contact details for the guy in North London who has the only(?) roadworthy MK12 - he will have useful advice if needed

- Woolies trim will almost certainly be able to help with rubber seals and the like https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ (Car builder solutions may be useful too https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/)

- It's probably most effective to speak to LBF rather than the Invacar register directly with queries, especially as he has a hotline to Lord Stuart Cyphus.

- Alan Hitchcock (AKA 'Big Al') is a man with a garden full of MK12's and may be persuaded to sell you stuff.

- LBF also has the DHSS parts catalogue in PDF form.

- Note that Invacar Mk 12's have pressed front number plates, but with no border - need tippers 63-74, die pressed plates without border, measuring the size of front plate holder

- @Christine lent me this book (I need to post that back to him)  which may be useful for you to get

the-blue-gee-glass-fibre-and-epoxy-wood-

- Hammond Collection people are very friendly, and are strongly linked to the RUMcar forum - they know a lot about all sorts of small vehicles. Also, Microcar World (Graham and Danny Walker) have a lot of Microcar contacts in the UK and beyond which may be helpful.

19 hours ago, egg said:

I'm going to take a number of parts I have at home over to the lock-up today (via an essential shopping trip, naturally!) and to ensure the parts that have come off the vehicle are secure and boxed up or whatever.

Ta. ?

19 hours ago, egg said:

If you are around tomorrow I can give you a call to go through the V5 information related to the sale? Let me know if there is a good time.

Yeah ok, i tend to keep to "LBF-Time" ? In other words i might not be awake at traditional hours, give me a call anytime that is convenient with you and if i don't answer just ring again in a few hours. ?  Or text, texting works fine too. I should be awake during Thursday morning though, If you want to arrange a specific time for the call then feel free to say and i'll set an alarm so i can't miss it.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, LightBulbFun said:

Out of curiosity @BlankFrank whats your plan for XWC? is there anything specific planned out/in mind or is it just a general idea of get it running/fixed up and on the road? :) 

Generally freeing up anything stuck, so wheels, brakes, steering mechanism, suspension, the other controls, etc. (is that last wheel still jammed stuck @egg?)  Then getting the engine spinning, then running. Rebuild the brakes. After that it will be chopping out the rusted floor and re-making the floor (or patching it up if it's still salvagable in some areas). I've got an old saab bonnet in my back garden so that will give me a heads-start on material for the invacars floor sheet metal and i've got plenty of box section mild steel for any frame work.
I'll probably find myself carefully removing the whole fibreglass body so i have easier access to every nook of the vehicle. Once the thing is mechanically sound, then i'll move on to fibreglassing and lights, reg plates and all the other little bits that don't fall into the previous catagories.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:52 AM, Andyrew said:

@BlankFrank profile says you are located in bucks? 

I dropped the wheels off with @inconsistantwhen I had been to my mates place local to him, I will be doing this journey again after lockdown eases up. So happy for collect them and bring them back to Dunstable and transport them somewhere closer to bucks area when I'm next over that way.

Yep. Regarding getting the wheels to me; we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, if wingz and inconsistant are able to work something out to get them done tomorrow morning that would be ace, if not then we'll make plans for it after lockdown. ?

19 hours ago, egg said:

Just a few other notes for @BlankFrank as he doesn't yet have the PM facilities

***good info***

Thanks, those will definitely come in handy, cheers. :)

That looks infinitely cleaner than it did in the 'just discovered' photos. Intrigued to see what happens next on this cheeky little chap. 

One thing- does it have far to go? The lack of support for the entire passenger side of the roof is going to put a huge stress on it I'd have thought...

26 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

One thing- does it have far to go? The lack of support for the entire passenger side of the roof is going to put a huge stress on it I'd have thought...

Not too far. It should be fine, as it arrived that way too. I recognise the problem, but I was also worried about the A-pillar flying off on the A2. If we were in more relaxed times, I could have made a better solution. Fingers crossed.

29 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That looks infinitely cleaner than it did in the 'just discovered' photos. Intrigued to see what happens next on this cheeky little chap. 

Indeed. Better than it arrived. And now it has an identity. I feel like I've done my bit.

post-20084-0-40241100-1550079614.thumb.jpg.f80ed8fb4daea82fb15d73853d8887c9.jpg

I've never seen a photo of the 'good' side before. I must say, it looks about a million times for viable now than it did when it arrived. A decent engine and a V5 goes a long way to making it a worthwhile project. Let's hope Big Al will part with a door when he sees the new owner is actually making efforts to get the thing on the road. Well done @egg for doing your bit, and I can't wait to see how this progresses.

3 hours ago, egg said:

Many thanks to @inconsistant and @Wingz123 this morning. It is on the way to @BlankFrank with the spare wheels....

IMG_20200430_071004.thumb.jpg.3fc67d66627f93185748efaf085afd98.jpg

IMG_20200430_071654.thumb.jpg.e5a4fbf930f46f35cd3757fb0c4d92d4.jpg

IMG_20200430_072420.thumb.jpg.1ce5b41108020dbcb8d9dc00cb8a5d7f.jpg

IMG_20200430_073059.thumb.jpg.d8dfa2f85588deeca55ef27401031f8a.jpg

IMG_20200430_073136.thumb.jpg.566895ccb34b1112b4cc8387603847a9.jpg

No regrets! And a sense of relief....

so long XWC!

or well until I see @BlankFrank's thread on the forum about it hopefully :) (and then I can do a brain dump for him on that thread)

as others mentioned, its amazing how much better it looks after its scrub down!

(was that A Pillar secured with anything? as mentioned if it was just push fit in there id be worried about it flying off!)

2 hours ago, egg said:

Indeed. Better than it arrived. And now it has an identity. I feel like I've done my bit.

yeah very much so! you did a very good job there! :) 

its AFAIK the only Mk12c that has a proper registration and still/now shows up on the DVLA etc :) 

close second is WOO976F but there is some shinagians with its chassis number im still trying to get to the bottom of

(tbh they are not that many Mk12c's survivors out there at all sadly, only about 4 including XWC468F!)

Yeh we removed that a pillar bit so that it didnt fly off on the motorway. 

Unloading it was great.....I basically carried it off the truck with me bare hands! ???? @BlankFrank will tell you more haha! 

Motorways were clear, stopped for a coffee at clacket lane, showery in places but just took a gentle meander over. 

I tried belting the rear nearside wheel with a lump hammer but alas no still stuck. 

@egg your a great guy mate it was nice to meet you!! @inconsistant thanks for meeting me at 6am this morning at Goldstone Fire Station with those bits ??

36 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

@inconsistant thanks for meeting me at 6am this morning at Goldstone Fire Station with those bits ??

Nice to meet you too, glad plans all worked out ok. Got home and realised I hadn't pointed out the bonus C reg Vauxhall Carlton that's always parked on the road opposite where we met.

1 minute ago, inconsistant said:

Nice to meet you too, glad plans all worked out ok. Got home and realised I hadn't pointed out the bonus C reg Vauxhall Carlton that's always parked on the road opposite where we met.

I clocked that......I was half expecting you to pull into that road and onto the drive what with you saying you lived right off j6!! ?

1688881399_Screenshot2020-04-30at13_46_48.thumb.png.22f9bd7331d658cc5f0c2f64a3d03625.png

its interesting to note how the DVLA no longer have the status "not taxed keeper change" 

I feared it may have been lost when the DVLA did its last checker update, but its interesting to note how quickly the V5 has been issued!

certainly was not that quick when I did it with REV! prehaphs there was a back end system change which means things happen much quicker now hence why they got rid of the not taxed keeper change status?

image.png

It has arrived! (a few hours ago and i'm kinda posting the arrival a little late, heh)

I will continue posting anything XWC related in this topic until i have some work done on it, then i'll do the new topic for it with the progress.

Many thanks to @egg @Wingz123 @inconsistant

Unloading it was an interesting time, the 3 wheel layout and the fact that one of the rear wheels is siezed meant that we had to do what wingz mentioned above, he basically wheelbarrowed it down the back of the beavertail while i scurried around getting the ramps set up for the rear wheels to roll down. :D

arrived.thumb.jpg.5885f74d368f08f235a60fee1684dc0d.jpg

24 minutes ago, BlankFrank said:

the fact that one of the rear wheels is siezed meant that we had to do what wingz mentioned above, he basically wheelbarrowed it down the back of the beavertail

I hope someone was recording that LOL 

@egg on that sized rear wheel did ya get the brakes backed off on that one or not? cant quite recall if its sized because of sticky brakes or because the engine needs freeing off

(IIRC the 1 sized wheel is the one driven wheel #1wheeldriveyo! #LSD?)

21 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

@egg on that sized rear wheel did ya get the brakes backed off on that one or not? cant quite recall if its sized because of sticky brakes or because the engine needs freeing off

(IIRC the 1 sized wheel is the one driven wheel #1wheeldriveyo! #LSD?)

I tried to back off the brakes, but they are seized as well I think. The drum needs to come apart and see what's what. I expect the driveshaft and the engine is seized. The car was supposedly in netural!