I've got a problem... Now Dave's big Red ST220 Thread

DaveDorson

I really need to unload some of the cars.

Doesn't matter how much I try and justify it to myself, I've just got way too many at the moment.

This is a large problem that became very apparent when I started looking at moving workshop to somewhere larger to consolidate where I keep my stuff and hopefully make some headroom.  The realisation struck me that I've got enough work to keep me going until retirement, and it's simply not worth it.  I need to cut some stuff out and make a clean break I think.

Current list.

1972 Beetle 1200 restoration (keeping and finishing, it's Sarah's car so probably doesn't count, to be fair I've done a fair bit on this)

2000 beetle 2.0 (Sarah's car, needs a battery and some welding doing, but given she's not driving it's fine, and it can be quickly made into a car again.  I really need to keep this one too.

1984 Caravelle restoration (keeping and finishing, had this forever and can't part with it.)

1974 Subaru Beetle (can't really sell this one, made a promise on it and need to see it through)

2006 Mondeo ST 2.2 Diesel (I'm keeping this, as it's my daily driver)

So that brings us to the stuff I really need to get rid of.

2002 Mondeo ST220 in Infra Red (I bought this because nothing appreciates like a fast ford, it's a project but an easy one, and I've not touched it for three years now.  It's in a dry garage, this can be for sale.  I keep missing the guy with the garage access to get the pictures done

Here's one from just before it went into storage.  I can't imagine being that it's sat in a dry garage it looks a lot worse.  Battery will be shot, needs a window reg, they're about £20, I might have one.  It had a bit of a sump weep and needed discs and pads, and probably tyres too.  I don't remember seeing any rot in there, but it may have started to go a bit by the front wings.

46067160465_f421aef18e.jpgFB_IMG_1548892719181 by davedorson, on Flickr

it's infra red, I've got some good part worn tyres I can sell with it for the right money, needs re-commissioning.  Plate is N99 JLM,

1999 Golf S 1.9 TD estate.  That's the one that was meant to go last week.  All working now, just needs me to put some coolant in it and get a battery, the chap was meant to bring one, then let me down, MOT'd till March 29th.  Might just get this re-MOT'd and park it down the unit as a spare "pool" car.  NOW SOLD

32453377568_8298e53883.jpgIMG_20181215_100535522 by davedorson, on Flickr

W124 300E (m103 3.0), ex David Bailey car apparently.  Lost all the paperwork, probably worthless, refuses to run right, I suspect the K-Jet is shagged.  I just can't find the motivation to do this.  It's fairly solid, I've got new discs and pads in the boot for it.  Really should just get rid of this one.  if anyone wants this please get in touch, and I'll do some photos for you. 

29004502977_7cbe325990.jpg2018-08-09_09-18-46 by davedorson, on Flickr

It won't come on the 17's, as they're valuable on their own, I've got some original wheels, but I need to sort them out with tyres, I'll try and do that and get some updated ones.  NOW SOLD

S124 200TE, rusty.  Currently at a friends in Corby who's been apparently doing the welding on it for me.  I'm yet to see evidence of this.  I've basically written it off as a bad experience.  If anyone wants this please get in touch.  It does drive, but it's rough as arseholes due to degraded ignition bits and very rusty, although it might be less rusty now.  I dunno, I'll arrange some photos if I can.  Reg is G878ERP if you're curious, as you can see, off the road for ages!  NOT MOVED SINCE I STARTED THIS THREAD, ANYONE FEELING BRAVE?  MESSAGE ME!

Oh and I've not put prices on anything.  Right now I'm in a fairly bad mood :D.

The 200TE is in Corby, I need to see what my mate has actually done to this before I can price it really.  But it'll not be a lot because I have lost love for it before I've even driven it.

The W124 is in NG33 at the moment, I can't find the V5 for it, I've got no idea what to ask for this.  Really no clue.

The Mondeo is in PE9, and I'd quite like as close to £500 as I can reasonably ask, but I'm quite realistic about these things.

The golf is currently in NG33 also.  £500 is reasonable isn't it?  I know the short MOT doesn't go in its favour.

Mondeo is 17 years old dude. It's a fast ford, and they always need work. Not saying Joe in the street will give you 500 quid, but an enthusiast will no drama

I've no worries about getting £500 for it, I've already had a guy on Facebook who breaks them and is doing an Infra at the moment offer me £600 for it before he'd seen it, and even the grotty pictures don't seem to have put him off the car at all.

Cavcraft is giving my bother a spare battery and I'm going down again tomorrow armed with tools to properly assess how the land lies.

It's quite an easy project really and perhaps I should be aiming at the low hanging fruit right now.

All being well I'll pick the battery up tomorrow. I'll bring it down in a couple of weeks if that's ok?

I'd take a car with grotty door bottoms over one with grotty arches/sills.

It's sat for years mate, a few weeks won't hurt. I've got the old one on the optimate. I've also got a couple of Impreza batteries for my troubles that might take a charge too, if not more frag :)

I've no worries about getting £500 for it, I've already had a guy on Facebook who breaks them and is doing an Infra at the moment offer me £600 for it before he'd seen it, and even the grotty pictures don't seem to have put him off the car at all.

Cavcraft is giving my bother a spare battery and I'm going down again tomorrow armed with tools to properly assess how the land lies.

It's quite an easy project really and perhaps I should be aiming at the low hanging fruit right now.

Ah good for you. Rare car, rare colour. You suggested May be you were asking too much, and although it may piss bargain hunters off, it is your asset

That Mondeo is fit. I’d love that. Shame I’ve not got a spare 500 quid about else I’d snap your arm off for it. I know it would make over double breaking that, I’ve broke 3/4 diesels and they fetch good money in bits. But it would be a shame to break it.....rare colour. The seats are recaro and the best most comfortable seats ever made (according to my back). Hope someone saves it.

That Mondeo is fit. I’d love that. Shame I’ve not got a spare 500 quid about else I’d snap your arm off for it. I know it would make over double breaking that, I’ve broke 3/4 diesels and they fetch good money in bits. But it would be a shame to break it.....rare colour. The seats are recaro and the best most comfortable seats ever made (according to my back). Hope someone saves it.

My daily is a 2.2 ST diesel estate.

The recaros in this one are in better condition than the recaros in my daily driver.

Great steer. I should have just fixed this instead of buying a 170 focus as a daily driver really.

Instead I got distracted by stuff. Then bought the diesel in December of this year and realised that I need to do something with the 220 I'm sitting in before it's too far gone.

I know it's sensible to flog this but I'm hugely conflicted about this car at the moment as it's potentially an easy win and fixing it will make it easier to sell for more money, keeping it won't cost me anything either.

But I hate the idea of me being another three years in and it still sitting in there

My daily is a 2.2 ST diesel estate.

The recaros in this one are in better condition than the recaros in my daily driver.

Great steer. I should have just fixed this instead of buying a 170 focus as a daily driver really.

Instead I got distracted by stuff. Then bought the diesel in December of this year and realised that I need to do something with the 220 I'm sitting in before it's too far gone.

I know it's sensible to flog this but I'm hugely conflicted about this car at the moment as it's potentially an easy win and fixing it will make it easier to sell for more money, keeping it won't cost me anything either.

But I hate the idea of me being another three years in and it still sitting in there

Sometimes you've got to accept it's better to part with something than watch it deteriorate and become worthless

There's no way I'd sell that for a fixed price , if it's a running driving car with no MOT I'd put it on eBay , being me it'd be a 7 day auction 99p no reserve , no buy it now , winning bid takes it , an early statement saying you promise not to withdraw it under any circumstances will give bidders confidence, if you're nervous you could start it at £500 but as a trader has offered more than that it's unlikely to go for less

It's the right time of year for a simple project to give somebody a few months to get it through a test ready to take to the shows

Sometimes you've got to accept it's better to part with something than watch it deteriorate and become worthless

There's no way I'd sell that for a fixed price , if it's a running driving car with no MOT I'd put it on eBay , being me it'd be a 7 day auction 99p no reserve , no buy it now , winning bid takes it , an early statement saying you promise not to withdraw it under any circumstances will give bidders confidence, if you're nervous you could start it at £500 but as a trader has offered more than that it's unlikely to go for less

It's the right time of year for a simple project to give somebody a few months to get it through a test ready to take to the shows

Oh yeah I know that's the sensible.

I struggle with sensible, hence having 9 cars at the moment.

• 4 months later...

Got this to the workshop fairly late on last night, after some trailer related drama, all sorted though.

Rear tyre lost all its pressure.  That's not an ideal start to moving the car, so we inflated it to make it easier to move off the trailer (it's broken both front springs, so the mid section of the exhaust catches if it's not got air in all four tyres), immediately the engine cut out after inflating the tyre and refused to restart, quickly flattening the battery.

Handbrake stuck on a bit, so we couldn't really push it, we had to slowly move it on the starter into place, on gravel.. amazing.

So, it's going to want, at the very least.. Doors having the grot chopped out and sorted, they're not bad enough to replace them so we'll get this now.

Brake calipers

A front bumper repair/replacement as it's missing the bottom lip, kind of ruins the look of the car without it.

A rather nasty oil leak addressing, appears to be sump related or pulley seals

Two front springs (probably put new struts on)

Figure out why it's killing the battery (probably needs all the electrics going over)

Replace the passenger side window mechanism as that's failed.

Source a stock radio sourcing, I think I've got one, I'll checks stock.  The after market alpine unit is going in something else.

When it runs, it's smooth, it's quiet, almost silent, and feels fairly decent to drive, for a car with broken springs that hasn't moved for three years and with brakes sticking on.

Potential...