What classic car i getr for £2500?

25v6turbo

O.K so I have been looking for a while to find a suitable classic car to float around locally in and have a few days out with the family,it will live outside so don,t want a minter,just something with patina but not falling into the ground,MOT/tax exempt,thinking along the lines of Rover P4,Austin Cambridge,Triumph 2000,Austins etc,can anyone give me an idea where I should look,Ebay seems to be hit or miss....

This will live outside with a sea view,but will be looked after and not left to dissolve,but will not be a daily car.

When I get something the Safrane RN will have to go,but that's another day!

Ado16, Dolly/Tolly 1300/1500 and Minors will be in budget too. By your description I guess you're considering 70s and earlier.

Don't forget it's cold and snowy outside. All the oldies will wait till the spring before taking pictures and putting cars up for sale.

Keeping a BMC Farina outside, especially one bought for £2.5K will not make it through next winter.   Not pissing on your fireworks but just echoing my own reality.   Anything 50s/60s may not be too viable at this price level, unfortunately, although it bloody well should still be the case..... 

Morris Minor?  Too small maybe...If it were me (and it theoretically is) I might be looking at Rootes Arrows, earlier Minxes whilst not discounting that  a useable P4 Rover may still slide into the price bracket.   FE Victor - if you can find one - or something else 1970s might turn up at that level.   Problem is, I have found, that a couple of grand is the level at which chancers sell rubbish and about half what people want for something that really should be worth the figure you have in mind.   I saw Dollys mentioned earlier - I have looked at some of those and they certainly float my boat.   Putting word out that you want something locally might yield stuff not yet considered as being "for sale".

I know folk mutter about car covers fucking up paint but they do tend to keep interiors dry and keeping water out of the car goes a long way to stopping it from dissolving.   Knowing when to take it off again is as important as putting one on!

Triumph Dolomite OHV or similar "Project Ajax" saloon, 1300/1500/Toledo etc. Low value, easy to maintain, mechanical parts are all available off the shelf cheaply and body panels are reasonably well covered by the Dolomite owners club. Rattle cans can still be bought at Halfords! I can testify they are easy and fun to drive as well.

ebay110909.jpg

Hillmans seem to be largely forgotten about, a Minx would probably fall into budget (Super or otherwise) and provide stylish 1960s motoring on the cheap.

ebay729753.jpg

Moggy Thou/Austin A30/35 would fall into budget just about if you want the early 1950s experience.

imageb0059a33bb2259017da01f5c8fddfa3c-65

Anything pre-galvanisation is going to rust into the ground if kept outside near the sea, that's just what they do. 1950s cars benefit from a strong separate chassis and thick steel but parts are harder to find and they are less suited to modern driving conditions on top of being well aged and requiring frequent servicing/greasing. Toward the late 60s steel started thinning out and monocoques were the way to go, rust can eat most cars from this era in a shockingly rapid fashion although servicing intervals and general reliability is much improved and many cars become capable of not being massively out-paced by modern motors.

Not seeing a lot of use during winter and frequent washing of the underside and keeping on top of flaky underseal will see a car last quite well for a few years, a lot of the battle is getting the cars watertight. All my motors fill up with water like there is no tomorrow... Unreliability seems to be due to cars being maintained/tuned up to do about 200 miles a year so as soon as a long distance is attempted, belts snap, hoses burst, electrical parts burn out and silted up waterways cause overheating.

For buying I tend to browse HonestJohn classics as that seems to pull a load of results through from other sites. The local papers are always worth a glance for a bargain though as older folk are often less inclined to advertise online. Owners clubs often have cars for sale as well, either online or in their publications.

I did spot the Cresta and wondered how much it would be,i really like these,but sorry its out of my budget,but I still like it!

Passed my driving test in a Morris minor,but they don,t really float my boat to much,sorry to any owners.

I keep looking on E-bay and see what comes up that might take my fancy,owned several Triumph 2000s and a few older Renaults and the Minor over the years.

Now I do know of a FWD 1500 on a J reg that was for sale locally but sold only to appear on a driveway in my home town,but I think it gets used,its Slate grey with a matador red interior,was a touch patchy but seemed solid enough...might give that a knock on the door.

I do like an A35/40 and Hillmans as I look at them often.

Is there more info listed about this?

Hi! Owner of the Six here!

It's a proper waft-o-barge, drives lovely and is very low mileage (17k I think? Will check on Monday).

The engine is a straight six, as the name implies, and is connected to an automatic gearbox with a dash mounted gear selector.

2227cc with 110bhp from the factory and the kick-down on the auto box is impressive for the time it was made. It's -not- a sports car, but it will suprise people wanting to get around you at the lights.

I'll be brutally honest. Mechanically and electrically it's fantastic. The body is crusty in the places you would expect it, bottoms of doors mostly, but would not take much work to put right if you're really bothered about it.

I can get some pics when I'm at the unit on Monday if you're seriously interested. It's worth 3k any day of the week for the mileage alone.

+1 vote Hillman Minx.

First car my dad bought (stopped smoking!=cash in pocket) RBR991... Red n White 1500cc I believe.

Hand cranked it a fair bit....

Also had a 1725 in Persian pussycat grey. It had been in a massive prang = ns inner straightened/wing + pidgin welds.

.... Solid enough!! lol

IIRC handbrake on drivers sill... *Can catch trouser leg

Most Rootes stuff is much cheaper than BL and Blue oval. Should pick up a half decent Arrow range, povvo spec Avenger, or something a bit later with a T in a circle. Might also get something French - early R5, possibly an x04 series Peugeot or a really down at the heels citroen. If you want BL you might get something useable if you're lucky as prices seem to be on the increase - you definitely won't get a decent Minor, Mini or sporty MG/Triumph unless you want a project.

£2500 will also get you a useable if not pretty decent Reliant Scimitar GTE, more likely a SE6/a. Fantastically practical, decent on the road, surprisingly economical if you get an overdrive (I got 37mpg out of my 6a - 800 miles on a full tank....)

What a tough question and a wake up for Mrs6C and I, we have just been looking at the classic car papers and we are amazed how FEW 40 year old cars looking good and running well you can buy under £2500.

Our thoughts take a car that needs improving.

Increase budget.

Maybe a 1980s car, but still not much of a choice at that price.

Take a 1990s car where there is a much better choice.

No car from the 1960s, 70s or 80s is going to stand up to living by the seaside for very long unless it is thoroughly rust proofed every few years.

What you actually like is too personal and our choices are probably not yours or you would end up with a Citroen Visa or Vanden Plas 1500! 

Anything pre-galvanisation is going to rust into the ground if kept outside near the sea, that's just what they do. 1950s cars benefit from a strong separate chassis and thick steel but parts are harder to find and they are less suited to modern driving conditions on top of being well aged and requiring frequent servicing/greasing. Toward the late 60s steel started thinning out and monocoques were the way to go, rust can eat most cars from this era in a shockingly rapid fashion although servicing intervals and general reliability is much improved and many cars become capable of not being massively out-paced by modern motors.

Agreed with that, apart from that there were a lot of monocoques by the mid 1950s and the rustproofing was minimal. A thin layer of paint and underseal that dried and flaked after a few years trapping moisture in there. The metal was definitely thicker than tinny 70s-on cars but don't get lulled into a false sense of security - older stuff can and does rust and unless it's something really popular and dull there isn't going to be much in the way of repair sections or panels available. So get a good one and rustproof the hell out of it, or get a ropey one and become a very good welder :P

post-3865-0-26100200-1549142970_thumb.jpg

post-3865-0-43656900-1549142990_thumb.jpg

post-3865-0-12222900-1549142999_thumb.jpg

Six-cylinder,

If you are prepared to go for a 90s car, what about an Audi 80 B4?  These are starting to be seen as a bit of a "classic in the making" now and the 5 and 6 cylinder ones are a nice drive.  

Until last year I had a 1995 2.6 convertible and it was lovely until the heater matrix went.

My comments were for 25v6turbo because I have discovered the enjoyment you can have from low cost 90s and 00s cars. In fact I can believe how cheap some cars are that give me so much pleasure!

Check out Six-cylinder Motoring notes to see what an addict I am! 

Six-cylinder,

If you are prepared to go for a 90s car, what about an Audi 80 B4?  These are starting to be seen as a bit of a "classic in the making" now and the 5 and 6 cylinder ones are a nice drive.

Wow, I've just got in after picking one up from Bramz. It wasn't a classic 4 hours ago, must be worth a fortune now!

You can still find something at that price id be thinking 70s BL.

I dont want to put a downer on it but if close to the sea then rust is a major issue, after moving to about a mile from the North Cornwall coast coming from inland I have given up and bought a carcoon. Things that dont rust inland soon dissolve by the sea, ive got a Record vice that ive had for over 30 years in all sorts of damp garages and it never rusted till I moved here.

After the sucess of this winter storing a car in a carcoon im hoping to get another for a long term stored car I have thats also rusting now.

Would love to get one for the Princess as well but cant justify the cost.