Motorbike / carb fed engine help purleassee

pauldoubleyou

So I’ve just spent the best part of two hours trying to get a farmer mates quad to run. I got pinged as ‘that car bloke’ so went up with tools.

I’m not hot on carbs but it’s essentially a single cylinder 400cc bike engine on an arctic fox atv. Every carb I’ve had on a bike I’ve just replaced it.

It has spark, tested by pulling the plug and sitting it on the casing

It has fuel .. the plug is wet and smells of fuel when you pull it. Pulled the carb off and the reservoir was full and seems to be feeding a little too much fuel if anything.

Good battery, turns over nice and fast

It has air, new air filter.

Killswitch not engaged.

Seems to have some kind of electric needle fed type idle system, but still doesn’t start with WOT

No obvious choke

Am I missing something stupid here or could we be looking at timing? It ran, it was minus 7, next day it didn’t run. Air cooled with an oil cooler, relatively new quad, nothing visually fucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried it a few more times and it seems to run fine. Could be as it’s now hot but I’ll see. Seems to be running like shit as I think someone’s been playing with the idle screw

Gonna go back to it tomorrow once it’s stone cold. If it starts then sorted, if not I’ll swap the plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk