So, need a sensible work runner. Pref diesel. Would like it to be nice. Have no inspiration at all

pauldoubleyou

So I’m really struggling.

I need a work / weekend runabout for the hefty price of under a grand. “But there’s loads to choose from!” I hear you say.

There is, but I just feel so uninspired by the dull and boring selection of more modern saloons and estates. I’ve been looking at ones around the 04-06 range and diesel.

More points for auto, more points for cruise and a sunroof.

I’ve come up with a Peugeot 307 estate. That’s literally the best I can do. There was a v40 again but I think it was too pricy.

I like the idea of a Berlingo, 407, 307sw, Swedish things. I just want something I can get, and not have to touch. Just have on the drive and forget.

I’d really like an Alfa 147/156 but they’re thinner on the ground close to Scotland.

It’s such a funny price bracket as there’s nice cars at high mileage and no real shitters. It’s not even gonna be for long term.. maybe seven months.

Can anyone help inspire or has anything like that for sale? It’s all just so.. dull.

Pretty please no Vauxhall’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly can't sing the praises of my MK3 mongdoggo ST TDCi highly enough. Paid a bit more than a bag of sand for mine but I knew the car and the history and it's an estate with recaros in, and Magnum Grey.

If you want a less sporty one with a 2.0 in and an auto, you'll probably find a good one for less than a grand

MG ZT / Rover 75

There always seem to be a fair few of the diesel versions for sale, saloon or estate, definitely with cruise and auto options, likely around a grand and 04-ish in age.

Never had one but always liked.

There's bound to be better value on e-b and mugtree but this doesn't look too shabby

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901294392793?sort=price-asc&make=ROVER&transmission=Automatic&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&fuel-type=Diesel&postcode=sw97qe&page=1&modal=photos

I’m getting on well with my 2.0 HDi 307sw especially since the re-map and deleting the dpf. I retro fitted cruise to it and enabled it using knock off Peugeot Planet sw. Fuel economy wise I’m getting ~48mpg on my 30 mile commute. I really like the glass roof as it makes it feel really airy inside.

I had to weld the sills on mine but it was made worse by the previous owner glassing over the drain holes causing it to rot more than it should have been.

It handles ok and the interior isn’t too bad, not a patch on my S80 but much better than my Punto. The flex seating is great and with all the seats removed it’s like a small van.

I’m getting on well with my 2.0 HDi 307sw especially since the re-map and deleting the dpf. I retro fitted cruise to it and enabled it using knock off Peugeot Planet sw. Fuel economy wise I’m getting ~48mpg on my 30 mile commute. I really like the glass roof as it makes it feel really airy inside.

I had to weld the sills on mine but it was made worse by the previous owner glassing over the drain holes causing it to rot more than it should have been.

It handles ok and the interior isn’t too bad, not a patch on my S80 but much better than my Punto. The flex seating is great and with all the seats removed it’s like a small van.

How are you getting away with the removed DPF for tests? What’s it like cruising at motorway speeds?

The one I’ve seen is an SE 2.0 Hdi, 103k, £750. Seems cheap enough. Has a warning about regeneration fluid but I have peugeotplanet so could probably delete it

How are you getting away with the removed DPF for tests? What’s it like cruising at motorway speeds?

The one I’ve seen is an SE 2.0 Hdi, 103k, £750. Seems cheap enough. Has a warning about regeneration fluid but I have peugeotplanet so could probably delete it

Tests are fine as being a 2002 they weren’t a legal requirement, even then it still easily passed the smoke test. I’ve left the empty box in place so it looks standard. I also had the egr disabled when I got the dpf mapped out to prevent future problems.

Motorway cruising is fine, it will happily sit at 75 all day. You can cruise at 80 but it just feels like it’s not enjoying it. Fuel economy drops off dramatically at 80 as well.

Mine is an se as well so it has Elec mirrors, Elec windows x4. The climate control works well, even my air con still works. I did have problems when I first bought it as the outside air temp sensor was reading 40 all the time and this screwed up the climate control.

Alfa 147, 156 or GT would be a good call, but I wouldn't go near an auto (selespeed)

Cheap enough, and not as bad as pub experts would have you believe.

I’ve had the 1.6 147 and only sold it when the vvt mech went.

Quite difficult to find up here for reasonable money. Might just have to hold out.

I think the more cars you have had the less cars become desirable

Any £1k diesel is liable to be a grenade. Buy the one least likely to go off in your face.

Something japanese. Fords and vauxhalls have myriad issues. VW? Broken locks, water leaks, rust will break your spirit.

Alfa 147, 156 or GT would be a good call, but I wouldn't go near an auto (selespeed)

Cheap enough, and not as bad as pub experts would have you believe.

I had a 2.4 156, I absolutely loved it, especially the Momo leather interior. I only had to change the thermostat, timing belt and wishbones whilst I had it. I ended up selling it as the clutch was about dead and I knew I’d never get the steel bolts out the aluminium subframe.

Just make sure you check underneath it as my 156 had the start of some serious rot which I managed to treat in time. The front radiator support had completely disappeared, I managed to make a replacement from angled steel and bolt it in.

Any £1k diesel is liable to be a grenade. Buy the one least likely to go off in your face.

Utter bollocks. I just bought a diesel for well under a grand and it’s given me literally days of trouble free motoring.

That's quite profound, and I think I have to agree. It probably doesn't help that cars are genuinely becoming less desirable with each new launch.

It’s all just a blurry mess of meh. I’ve done v8s, I’ve done jap, British, American, German etc etc. Aside from 80s tat and fun stuff there just isn’t a car that I think “yeah that’s nice” or “I’d drive that”. I think I’m doomed to generic saloon world.

ZT/75 is probably a good call.  I've had both from this very forum and they're nice places to be.  I'm a grandad so I prefer the Rover.  Both of mine were V6s and manual and if I had another I'd never touch manual, the clutch is awfully heavy.  But a V6 auto would be lovely.....