Laguna escapades **CHEEKY BUGGERS 23/03**

fatharris

I haven't tested this theory, but I've seen it suggested that the regular kind, like this;

Dishwasher%20Tablet.jpg

Are much better than the fancy kind, like this;

allinone-dishwasher-tablet-red-ball-450w

Apparently the red ball thingy doesn't dissolve as easily as the rest of it, guess you don't want that bouncing round your cooling system.

Probably doesn't make any real difference though

I haven't tested this theory, but I've seen it suggested that the regular kind, like this;

Dishwasher%20Tablet.jpg

Are much better than the fancy kind, like this;

allinone-dishwasher-tablet-red-ball-450w

Apparently the red ball thingy doesn't dissolve as easily as the rest of it, guess you don't want that bouncing round your cooling system.

Probably doesn't make any real difference though

The red ball pops out;)

I got a pair of hours before MrsHs alarm woke me up and I couldn't drop off.

So, I took the Laguna to the shops. Only bought some coffee beans, mind.

31e9853adbffaa514581f621b5244901.jpg

Finished work early, so I popped to the car club and decided to have a quick going over of the new steed.

9c3e7007534806f0809049b3a11fe554.jpg

First up with no picture, the boot would only be opened if you lifted and pressed the release button at the same time. Quick adjust of the rubber bump stops and that was back to normal.

Next up, investigate the suspected blowing backbox. Quickly deduced that it wasn't the back box as it was practically brand new - still had visible writing on it.

So I followed the pipe and bingo:

5dcc65e481dc7c7439baf7cac99afec5.jpg

Nice easy fix, that.

Next, investigate the pull to the left when breaking. Checked the pads and discs:

7f0bc1fdf59e87a001a425eca281e668.jpg

Not great, but not the cause of the issue. Found a broken wire for the pad wear sensor too.

96e35272378a5e4d86ee241442ea0e15.jpg

Next up, the thumping engine when the throttle used. Another win.

0e6d2ef779806c2315a54c1da5289fc6.jpg

Whilst underneath, the swing arm Bush's were checked for play - they do, but no big rush.

0bf64d54c42f07d7fa042c3732c695b7.jpg

Next job on the list was investigating the alleged poor fuel consumption. It has done fantastically so far (I filled up at the start of the journey and I've still got half a tank left), although Rob was saying he only got around 32-30.

89c3e72fb41d9aed50586ae0e6a346b8.jpg

This culprit was the cause, the output of the fuel filter was leaking ever so slightly, so if left alone for two weeks to sit, it could lose quite a lot over that time. So a replacement filter should see that leak stop.

No photos, but the radiator and heater matrix were bled, to nil effect. Noticed the cooling fans didn't operate although the temp, slightly elevated, was still within normal limits.

And that's it! It's actually quite a small list so I'm feeling confident.

30f9375de1132710c4a034407ab16972.jpg

Cheers!

I don't own a dishwasher, so I'll have to buy some specially. Is there a 'stand out' automotive use brand?

Just buy a sack of citric acid powder and a sack of sodium bicarbonate. Thousands of cleaning uses round the home (and garage).

10% citric acid mix for descaling. 5% sodium bicarbonate degreasing. ( https://cdn2.ms-motorservice.com/fileadmin/media/MAM/PDF_Assets/Cleaning-of-Engine-Cooling-System_51423.pdf ) hexchemonline.co.uk (or their Amazon / Ebay shops)

(I must get some in sometime. I'm still working my way through 20L of Isopropyl alcohol)

71w2lFogENL._SL1400_.jpg

(small quantities are available)

Just buy a sack of citric acid powder and a sack of sodium bicarbonate. Thousands of cleaning uses round the home (and garage).

10% citric acid mix for descaling. 5% sodium bicarbonate degreasing. ( https://cdn2.ms-motorservice.com/fileadmin/media/MAM/PDF_Assets/Cleaning-of-Engine-Cooling-System_51423.pdf ) hexchemonline.co.uk (or their Amazon / Ebay shops)

(I must get some in sometime. I'm still working my way through 20L of Isopropyl alcohol)

71w2lFogENL._SL1400_.jpg(small quantities are available)

Is that TATA Sodium Bi-carb Jaguar approved Bi-carb ?. I'm sure I read that there wiz concern over use of dishwasher tabs in aluminium engines, but suppose it might depends on how long you leave it in. I'd disolve the fecker in boiling water and pour it in in liquid form.

Citric acid works a treat with choked matrix- had proper sucess with a 190D with next to no flow. Helps if you can swap the hoses round which backflushes it, then after a few days, get both pipes off and get a garden hose down one then the other to blow all the crud out.

Is that TATA Sodium Bi-carb Jaguar approved Bi-carb ?. I'm sure I read that there wiz concern over use of dishwasher tabs in aluminium engines, but suppose it might depends on how long you leave it in. I'd disolve the fecker in boiling water and pour it in in liquid form.

:) Just dinnae go mad with the concentration and flush like mad afterwards

Citric acid works a treat with choked matrix- had proper sucess with a 190D with next to no flow. Helps if you can swap the hoses round which backflushes it, then after a few days, get both pipes off and get a garden hose down one then the other to blow all the crud out.

Swapping the hoses round is a clever idea, might have to give that a go

Just fill it with cheap cola and leave it overnight. Sorted. Was amazed at the difference on my Bluebird. From zero heat to really quite cosy.

Have you recovered from the trip sufficiently to discuss the last bit? How did you cope with closed roads or were they unclosed by then?

Cola is a good shout actually, be good to replace the chocolate milkshake that currently appears to occupy the expansion tank.

Oh yes, the second half of the journey.

I was actually quite lucky in regard of my friends at work who found the entire escapade hilarious, they were constantly feeding me information on what roads were shut and the weather state as I went along.

The A30 from the M5 had quite publicly become a car park as over a hundred motorists had abandoned their vehicles for refuge in a local Inn.

My priority was to avoid areas involving steep inclines (up or down), especially up, as that's when naive (stupid) people get stuck, bringing the whole thing to a halt. I had several options available to me, but at that time of night, the travel news websites were slow to update and react, and my navigation apps were proving to be useless too.

I headed for the A303, on the basis that I had offers of accommodation from friends and family on that road should the shit really hit the fan, plus if there did end up being a blocked road, there were plenty of back roads I could try my luck on to get past it.

London and the first hour or so of travelling was not too bad, snow was falling but not settling, but after that it was coming down thick and fast, particularly after Amesbury on the A303. I deliberately pulled into lay-bys when anyone else was near so they were far from me and my non-ABS wonder wagon.

I ended up taking the A303 to Taunton then the M5 instead of the A30 as it simply has a lot less steep inclines, there's a particularly long one with a sweeping bend at the bottom which I didn't fancy tackling.

Once I got on the M5, the gritters and ploughs had done a fantastic job of keeping the road as clear as they could in the circumstances, and I chose to take the A38 through Plymouth which had pretty much melted by then and I joined the A30.

The A30 was a hairier experience, as it had recieved minimal traffic due to the blockage up the line along with more snow fall. That blockage was starting to ease and I ended up joining the A30 at the same time as around two dozen wankers who felt the need to tailgate me during controlled descents. I eventually pulled in and let them past.

Getting onto the driveway at home was tricky, as I live at the bottom of two rather steep hills which do not get gritted and sections of it were sheet ice, so I simply went down in 1st at as low a speed as possible. Thankfully in the whole journey, I only slid/lost my steering position once, during the A303.

TL : DR - M25, M3, A303, M5, A38, A30. t'was scary shit, y0. Laguna did brilliantly.

c827ae071ac0a818c2464442281c247a.jpg

Not much news to report here, the Laguna has been absolutely fine so far, the only downside is the rear seatbelt doesn't fit our child seat, it's about six inches short! Luckily it fits the seat base so it's fine when MrsH takes over the car.

Today was a quick job.

e55752d13ca9a217e9bf25101aca9c0b.jpg

Thankfully at nil extra cost. I noticed that the original stereo was Philips, which was also the OE stereo supplier for Rover, which had an aftermarket stereo in that we wanted.

We had an aftermarket Philips stereo in the garage which fit the Rover OE connections and freed up the ISO adapter for the Renault to use the stereo we wanted, so both cars now have aftermarket stereos in the right places at absolutely zero cost.

This defunct bit is no longer needed though.

e4df42366c3bccf459b66caac1dfd466.jpg

Got it out but there was a section of the loom trapped, so I cut it out either side and left a small section in.

7e8c018ec6e453ba0dfef5a7eb9fb616.jpg

And that's your lot, the next to come out will be the phone cradle when I can be arsed and when it's warmer

Three things happened yesterday.

1. It started juddering/misfiring for about thirty seconds when full throttle was applied. No warning lights, and hasn't come back since.

2. I filled it up for the first time since London. 38MPG, which is pretty good considering it spent a long time idling yesterday to demistthe inside.

3. I washed it, and learned how to lightpaint for the first time.

Had the perfect subject to practise on.

3a4132db666fc617709f260745196cb4.jpg

06614b7b0089d6234f9eae07cbaf1021.jpg

3ff6ad1bd43071e0b70a09fb25210f66.jpg

e3843daee024aa194c649cd84de3c6bf.jpg

e66e89ad1e84cfbc53d1fdc868d5d148.jpg

705c9598123738fe7719ebacb56c3e8f.jpg

287b9051a8a4313a3096d2ee29153da1.jpg

I've never tried it before and I'm sure I have made mistakes but I immensely enjoyed it :D